Boston city ordinance concerning knives

shootist16

knife law moderator
This is Boston's code on knives and weapons:

16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS.

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.

No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10) Penalty, see subsection 16-45.4

16-45.2 Distribution Exception.

This section shall not apply to persons who, through entities or establishments engaged in a recognized retail or wholesale business, are involved in the sale, purchase or repair of knives for trade, sport, hobby or recreation, including without limitation persons engaged in the transportation to or from such entities or establishments.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.3 Applicability.

Nothing in this section shall be construed to enhance or diminish any duties of persons described in subsection 16-45.2, and this section shall not be introduced or cited in any proceeding as evidence of negligence, recklessness, or similar state of mind of such persons.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

16-45.4 Penalty.

Violators of any provision of this section shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred ($300.00) dollars for each offense.

(Ord. 2001 c. 10)

Been around for a some time now, i remember telling some people at Stoddards a few years back that Boston was going to pass this ordiance, they hadn't heard of it, i think boston has the most strict anti-knife laws around, in DC i believe you are limiited to 3in, at least at that length you have some real options.

At least there are a lot of loup holes in the language of this law.

A few weeks back a friend of mine that goes to BC told me that a close friend of his was mugged at knife point in Boston, I told him that it was impossible to be mugged at knife point since the real ones were Illegal.

You know every time I read about this law it makes me angry. I know it's just some liberals in Boston and not the majority of the people but still.....

I wonder if a combined ad campaign from several knife companies could change things. Maybe a fund to "unelect" the idiots who pass laws like this or at least get "unelect" the one who introduced it.

Oh well...just a rant I guess. We knife knuts don't have the clout that the NRA does. (Yes I'm an NRA memeber.)

I believe that there were knifemakers and distributors involved in the final amendmants to the law. As it was first written, there were no exceptions that would allow transport/carry of longer blades, even from point of purchase.

I don't want to say that the way around it is to always carry a fishing pole (and permit) with you, although there is some decent fishing within city limits.

Cheers

GC

Back