Bottom Edges Un-Sharpned on a VTAC?

veritas

Gold Member
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted. Let me first say that Andy Prisco and ATC are among the finest in the business. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the NYCKS in 2002 where I acquired a VTAC and a Shoulder rig from survival sheath systems. At that time, Andy was working out of good ol' New Jersey. He is a stand up guy and a first rate individual.

In the years since I've been out of the game and sold stuff here and there including my old VTAC and rig, I just recently purchased a new VTAC from Botach Tactical and had a question...

Are the bottom edge on both the primary and cutting edges supposed to be sharpned? As it stands now, I only have 3 edges sharpned, the main cutting edge and the top two on the rear of the hawk. The other two aren't dull, they are covered in black like they were never sharoned to begin with.

Overall I'm slightly dissapointed in the fit and finish. It's not terrible as I understand the process this particular Hawk goes through. But because it's slightly smaller, it seems fragile especially towards the back of the Hawk. One side is pretty pitted up but I understand thats normal. The handle is slightly more slippery than the old acetal handle that i came to like. For someone not in the military, I kinda of liked the weight and size the way it was, but I understand you can't please anyone. The Hawk overall feels more head heavy than the previous one, but that could just be the fact that I haven't held one in a while. The sheath is actually fine for my needs. Maybe because I picked my Hawk up at the ATC table at the NYCKS in 02', I got a very pristine one. But again, just slightly dissapointed as I will be using this for general utility purposes it will undoubedlly serve me well, and for that - thanks Andy.

I don't wanna send it in for the edges as i'll just take care of it myself, I was just curious about if they were correct or not.

Thanks for any info and happy birthday Andy.

Vin Creazzo
Staten Island, NY

Vinnie,

It's a pleasure to hear from you and thank you for your comments.

Allow me to address your remarks on the piece.

If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your VTAC, you can send it in for replacement. Some of them are indeed marked with forged scale, as a result of air in the die set. However, believe me when I tell you our new LaGana VTAC is lighter, stronger, and more functional than any previous version.

We changed the sharpening protocol on this production run and regret that decision. Feel free to send it in for us to re-sharpen if you like.

Andy,

Thanks for the offer to send it in. If I decide to I'll will contact you and let you know it's coming. I have a date with some saplings in Upsate NY thursday and Friday. Seems like as good a time as any to put the Hawk to use.

I appreciate your always courteous replies. I miss you guys not being around the corner from me anymore.

Take care and again, happy birthday.

Vin creazo
NYC

Back