boyscout handbook?

I am trying to increase my knowledge on survival skills. I just purchased Greg's book and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the boyscout handbook. would it be worth the purchase?

Thanks,
Colt

well I would suggest the earlier ones (anything up to 1991) the new edition is so politically correct and they have taken a bunch of stuff out to put a whole "touchy feeley politically correct chapter" in there

that is right, no morse code, no semifore, no fire building.

The Boy Scout handbook would be a decent tool for basic camping skills, but of little value beyond that. If you are new to camping or the outdoors, then it will prbably have some useful information in it, but it will be crowded in with other stuff they deem important to the welfare of a young man.

A better book would be the Boy Scout Fieldbook. This one focuses on fieldcraft a bit more, with topics ranging from making your own mukluks from open cell foam and canvas to basic first aid, weather, backpacking and building fires. If you are a tech-geek, they tend to run a few years behind at the minimum, but they do teach pretty good fundamentals. Another good source, if you are looking for more specific information, is the merit badge pamhplets. These tend to be pretty specific in the requirements they cover, and these requirements may or may not include what you want to learn about, but they provide a step up from either book, in a specific topic.

Remember though, the Boy Scout's idea behind merit badges, and the rest of the skills they teach, is to provide a basic knowledge, and an introduction into a field, and then let the boy pursue further those things he likes. The Wilderness Survival merit badge does not require you to live off the woods for three weeks, but merely to show basic skills and knowledge that may enable you to do so if you want. Little is covered in it that has not already had it's own topic on this forum, and been discussed here for a week. The only thing it has which has not shown up here in as much depth, is signalling. But most of ya'll seem to be more focused on going out there and staying, or at least not desiring a helicopter to come pick you up...
smile.gif

Stryver, who likes the idea of a helicopter ride, until it's him or one of his charges who requires a ride...

The scout book that I saw in Borders bookstore few days ago looked great in quality but seemed to be a bit shallow in practical information and too much on the pedagogical/educational side. It might be good for readers of very young age as a starter but I believe there are better ones out there on wilderness and survival.

HM

PS: I have not been a scout though.

No morse code or fire building, any more?!? "Be Prepared," huh... My eye! That's just disgusting.

------------------
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

'Tis true. The new version SUCKS! What I consider new is the very latest edition, '99. Terrible. The lack of morse code has already been pointed out. The Fieldbook certainly does warrant a look. I own one. The new one doesn't really even have knots in it! IT KINDA does, but that whole section is all FUBAR. When I was Senior Patrol Leader (until 1/13/200, which is when I turned 18 and became an Assistant Scoutmaster), I was responsible for teaching much of the stuff to a group of new Scouts. I looked in the book to find some info, and got NO help at ALL! Ridiculous. I think I'm going to have my troop revert to the previous edition.

Howie

New scout book, and the dropping of Signaling MB

I, too, have encountered failings with the new book. Not the least being that whenever I went to show a new scout where information was, I couldn't find it in his book... I think I started at least two books ago...

However, on the topic of morse code, I must say I can understand why they've dropped it, though I dislike it anyways. Knowing morse would allow you to communicate with about as many people today as being fluent in Latin, and morse is the root for much less of our language than Latin is. I think it's unfortunate, but knowing older signaling techniques is fading away fast.

On the topic of communication, however. How many people know a ground to plane signal for "Need medical assistance", or a trail sign that means "Danger -- do not go this way"? I have not looked to see, but I would be much more upset if they dropped these signs than dropping morse or semaphore. Yet it does me no good to know these signs if they communicate nothing to other people.

Stryver, still upset he didn't get Signaling before they Canxed it...

The Boy Scouts PC? We'll see what the Supreme Court says about that!
wink.gif

Does the BSA still offer the marksmanship merit badge?

I remember as cub scouts, we used to wear our pocket knives on our belts. On meeting days we wore the uniforms to school (late 60's/early 70's). Imagine if this were the case today...The school would be calling in the SWAT teams... Zero tolerance what a concept..

Back