Brass wire

In the SAS survival guide, they suggest you pack about 6' worth of brass wire for use in making snares. Does anybody know where one can find brass wire and what gauge to get? I've looked in hardware stores and have had no luck.

------------------
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

I found some brass and stainless steel wire at Lowe's. They were selling it to hang paintings with, but it looks pretty sturdy.

------------------
An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

i think i read someplace that you should use stainless steel wire in place of copper or brass, if possible.
whatever i read stated that the copper/brass wire can somehow 'hold' the human smell, whereas the stainless steel wouldnt(i have no idea how true or accurate it is)
i think another reason was that the steel is stronger/harder, and less likely to get a nick in it or to break?
again, i have no idea how true this info is, but i have a spool of what i think is stainless steel wire in my jacket pocket.

i bought it in a junk shop in New York City, canal surplus, its a great store, all sorts of weird odds and ends.

------------------
AKTI member #A000911

The best place is where they sell TRAPPING supplies!! Check Fur, Fish and Game magazine for ads in the classifieds. Maybe places on the WEB.

I got my two spools from a sporting goods store in Winnipeg MB, Canada. SRI, its a Canadian oudoor company that sells EVERYTHING related to camping, hunting and survival! I also got my REAL wire survival saws there along with my cable snares that I pack into my larger kits!

Another alternative to the brass/copper/stainless wire is USGI TRIPWIRE! It is lighter, but you can get a lot of it for less money and it comes 160' to a spool! It is also in two colors, YELLOW AND GREEN which are easier to camoflage.

Good luck, and I hope something here helps!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

You use what you have on you, then you improvise! :)

The brass wire in the SAS Survival Tins is either 24 or 26 Gauge. Try a craft store or a jewelry making supply. Similar size stainless steel wire should also be available. I carry a length of both brass and stainless.

Hi, I personally use copper wire.
I learned it from "our village poacher" some 30 years ago.
He only "trapped" rabbits and hares and only for himself no money making involved.

I also read about copper/brass wire taking human scent and that it is better to use stainless steel wire.

Some time ago I saw in a Cabelas catalog stainless steel fishing leader wire (even plastic coated one) and they also sold clips to make "loop eyes" with that wire.
Go visit Cabelas at:
http://www.cabelas.com

Go find Trolling wire which consists of braided Stainless Steel wire up to 50 pounds breaking strength. Or go to the prefabricated leader wires. In their catalog they had separate spools of leader wire.

Good luck, Bagheera

------------------

If you find the stuff mentioned above for hanging picture frames, it is quite often a braided wire that is extremely strong and should fit your needs quite handily.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

make friends with the local welder if he uses a wire welder you can at least get about 10 feet when the spool runs out.

also I have seen some of that stainless steel fishing line here and there

As per Ron'd videos, he demonstrates that 24 or 28 gauge stainless steel wire, available at any hardware stores, will very effectively work as snare wire. He actually catches stuff in his vid, so, it works. About $5.00 or so and you have 50 feet of the stuff.

Best,

Brian.

------------------
Suburbia: Where they tear out the trees, then name streets after them.

Back