Brawling Santas Arrested

Emanuel

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
Only in New Zealand. :rolleyes:

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,11964-3953551,00.html

Brawling Santas Arrested
XtraMSN
19/12/2004

Police in Auckland(New Zealand) had to deal with a group of drunken Santas last night.

A large group of people, dressed in Santa suits, began fighting in the Victoria Street car park in the central city.

About 30 of them, both men and women, were involved, and police say they were heavily intoxicated.

A Father Christmas and a Mother Christmas have been arrested and charged with disorderly behaviour, and the Father Christmas has also been charged with resisting arrest and threatening behaviour.

Police believe the Santas had been drinking since early morning.

The whole incident was caught on tape. They showed it on the news yesterday.
It was pretty funny to watch actually.
30 santas cussing and fighting and acting rather rowdy in the middle of a busy city street is not something we see that often on these little islands down here in the pacific.

At least one was wearing a Waikato stripe- guaranteed- perhaps they were jockeying for the Santa's 1st XV.

Waikato, really? I didn't see that, but I'm not surprised. I live in the Waikato myself, and I know there are more drunks around here than anywhere else.

BTW, Rugger, how'd you know?

Was it on the news in America too?(Our santas are famous!!!)

Ah- Emanuel- I've scrummed down w/ my fair share of Kiwis...
:D
Just joking about the waikato stripe- however- wouldn't be much of a surprise... :p
I have a waihaka hanging on my wall :D

Karate fighting Santas advert condemned in Romania

TV adverts showing three Father Christmas characters karate fighting have been condemned in Romania.

The images of Santas fighting each other were used in promotions for a mobile phone company.

Romania's National Audio-Visual Council says the advert alters the spirit of Santa Claus.

The watchdog organization says using Santa Claus in aggressive situations irritates viewers and is especially harmful for children.

The organization wrote: "Commercial exploitation of a symbol like that of Santa Claus is a matter of taste and associating it with an aggressive attitude in a broadcast programme goes beyond the liberty of creation and expression. We consider this as an abuse."
As you know, Romania is a peace-loving country.

They weren't very Merrie in Old Englonde this yeere.
Perhaps the brawling Santas need a drop of Christmas cheere.

Santas accused of street brawl

Festive cheer and goodwill was in short supply in Newtown when people dressed as Santa were involved in a mass street brawl, say police.

Officers used CS spray and batons to break up trouble amongst up to 30 people, following Newtown's annual charity Santa run.

There were five arrests hours after around 4,000 Santas finished racing.

Race organisers said if any official participants had been involved in the trouble, they would be banned in 2005.

Those arrested have all been released on police bail while further inquiries are carried out, Dyfed-Powys Police said on Thursday.

A number of others have been interviewed about their alleged involvement in the incident in the town's Severn Street on Sunday, which happened shortly after 2230 GMT.

Four officers suffered minor injuries during the scuffle and a total of eight were used to quell the disturbance, said police.

Pc Gareth Slaymaker, community safety officer for north Powys, confirmed that many of those involved in the alleged brawl were still wearing their Santa outfits.
(The entire article is available at the link above.)

gajinoz said:
Wasn't Vlad the Impaler from around those parts? He was a pretty peace loving guy.
I guess he was. They were pretty quiet after he got through with them.

We have a forum member from Romania who is a pretty peace loving guy himself. :p

Nice to see that countries all around the world get to enjoy the peace and goodwill of the season! :rolleyes:

It's a universal celebration. :cool: The reference reminds me of a Kipling poem ...

Russia To The Pacifists
1918​

God rest you, peaceful gentlemen, let nothing you dismay,
But--leave your sports a little while--the dead are borne this way!
Armies dead and Cities dead, past all count or care.
God rest you, merry gentlemen, what portent see you there?

Singing:--Break ground for a wearied host
That have no ground to keep.
Give them the rest that they covet most . . .
And who shall next to sleep, good sirs,
In such a trench to sleep?

God rest you, peaceful gentlemen, but give us leave to pass.
We go to dig a nation's grave as great as England was.
For this Kingdom and this Glory and this Power and this Pride
Three hundred years it flourished--in three hundred days it died.

Singing:--Pour oil for a frozen throng,
That lie about the ways.
Give them the warmth they have lacked so long . . .
And what shall be next to blaze, good sirs,
On such a pyre to blaze?

God rest you, thoughtful gentlemen, and send your sleep is light!
Remains of this dominion no shadow, sound, or sight,
Except the sound of weeping and the sight of burning fire,
And the shadow of a people that is trampled into mire.

Singing:--Break bread for a starving folk
That perish in the field.
Give them their food as they take the yoke . . .
And who shall be next to yield, good sirs,
For such a bribe to yield?

God rest you merry gentlemen, and keep you in your mirth!
Was ever Kingdom turned so soon to ashes, blood and earth?
'Twixt the summer and the snow-seeding-time and frost--
Arms and victual, hope and counsel, name and country lost!

Singing:--Let down by the foot and the head--
Shovel and smooth it all !
So do we bury a Nation dead . . .
And who shall be next to fall, good sirs,
With your good help to fall?

I guess Santa has been pretty naughty this year. No pressies for him.
----

gajinoz, you're right, Vlad was the prince of Walachia in southern Romania, his hometown was very near Bucharest(I was born there, coincidentally:)).
While he was probably not the most peace loving guy around, he was largely just mis-understood. Plus, he had probably the best sense of morbid humor of anyone ever in history.(I'm not kidding).

Emanuel said:
Vlad was the prince of Walachia. While he was probably not the most peace loving guy around, he was largely just mis-understood.QUOTE]

Misunderstood? He had people's hats nailed to their heads if he perceived that they had not shown him sufficient respect!

He burned down a hall full of guests!

He impaled people alive!

If that's "misunderstood" in Romania, I'd hate to meet a "psychopath."

maximus otter

What, you've never been in a bad mood?
:)

maximus otter said:
Emanuel said:
Vlad was the prince of Walachia. While he was probably not the most peace loving guy around, he was largely just mis-understood.QUOTE]

Misunderstood? He had people's hats nailed to their heads if he perceived that they had not shown him sufficient respect!

He burned down a hall full of guests!

He impaled people alive!

If that's "misunderstood" in Romania, I'd hate to meet a "psychopath."

maximus otter
Hats nailed teaches idiots respect.;)

IIRC the burned hall started as a feast that Vlad threw(at the beginning of his reign) for the beggars, homeless drunks, theives, and all others too lazy to work.

He got rid of most of his kingdoms problems with one match.

The impalings were jihadist muslims, and had the direct effect of turning an invading turkish army, that outnumbered his at least 50-1 around in their tracks.
He basically saved Europe from becoming overrun by them.

Don't forget, he was directly on the front line at that time, and had to contend with bickering nobles who were in the pay(or just afraid) of the muslims(sort of like some democratrs here), and were all for letting them in.

Hard times demand hard solutions. Is it time to start sharpening stakes again?:eek: ;)

Actually Mike is right, the guy was in a pretty sticky situation and he had the balls to do what was necessary to keep his country safe. Sure, his methods might seem slightly harsh today but times were different then.

I must admit though that I would probably not be too keen on being impaled alive!

Yeah what Mike Hull and gajinoz said is very very true.
Prince Vlad, as the prince of an area that was the gateway to Europe(Walachia), is more responsible than anyone else for the fact that Europe is now not speaking Turkish. (along with German Knights who were brought to Romania to fight the invaders)

He employed a brilliant psychological tactic to scare the invading enemy, by impaling his enemies and lining them up along the streets.
Perhaps some view it as extreme, but it was effective.

At home, like Mike Hull said, he was tough with his people but he did what he had to do to clean up the place.

He was sorta like Rudy Gulliani in NY, but with nails and hats and stuff, and a little more pissed off.

Stay safe guys,

Back