Brend Question

I just opened my Brend from 1sks.com. Are these suppose to be dull? The top and bottom section of the blade aren't just dull they are flat. Did I just get one that missed QC? Also the end of the handle the point looks like it was broken before coating was applied. Are my problems because it's a field grade?

I'll post some pics:confused:

Attachments

• brend1.jpg
    brend1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 178
Raden, I have a pre-production model and it is thick on the ends as well. I have sharpened it several times and am not making much progress on the corners, but it might be on purpose. Mine chops very well with the "belly" and the thick edges help when throwing. You can see some chopping and throwing pics of mine if you go to imagestation .com and do a search for alphamaniv or Brend. Hope this helps you a little and I am sure other people will weigh in. If you decide that you just can't stand it "as is" then I know that ATC will make it right.

THEORY!!!!!!!

Perhaps someone at the factory decided to do his/her own product testing?????

First of all Raden...NICE CAMERA!!! Wanna do some pics for our site? :D

Seriously though, it looks like your Brend got banged around somewhere in the process. As for the butt end, your cam makes something that is quite small look very significant, but nevertheless, it is less than perfect. Send it in and we will cheerfully make it right.

Despite the $95 price tag, we want our products to create million dollar satisfaction. Your Brend should be razor sharp along the entire cutting edge.

I apologize if for any reason you were disappointed, but rest assured, we will square you away.

Thanks,

Andy,

Thanks, but I'll keep her... I was in a "pissy" mood after a real bad day at work. I had a inmate that was on our work crew try and stab me in a escape attempt.

I think it did get banged around in shipping, I was so excited I didn't pay any attention to the box and man this thing didn't like the tight quarters it nearly ate the box for lunch... looks like at one point the entire blade got out of the box. I'll have this puppy shaving by tomorrow:D The tip isn't a big deal either....

Here is a pic after I wrapped it.... I did a simple wrap in black then the "Strider" wrap in the supplied O.D.

As for my camera it's a 2megapixl sony... less that $200 at wallyworld.

attachment.php

Attachments

• brend wrap.jpg
    brend wrap.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 363
Killer Wrap Raden!!! And my offer is redeemable at any time. Go out and whoop on it...you won't be disappointed. Our warranty and life-time resharpening stands.

The Brend shines when it's airborn...get back around 12' feet and get it to turn once before sinking deep into your target. Great balance, great design, great fun!

Enjoy!!! :)

Raden,
That wrap looks impressive. Great job!
I plan on wrapping mine the same way.

That pommel "dent" looks to me like laser washout. It sometimes happens when the nozzle centering is off a little :) It really sucks too as there is no way to see it before the parts are pulled from the plate.

Ditto on everything. I think there are some QC issues with the sharpening, the bottom 3/4" of my blade has a flat spot with the coating showing, obviously wasn't ground nearly enough. Easy to fix, but it should not have left the factory in this state.

Aside from the minor, fixable flaws, it's a very good design.Good weight and balance, the spike end looks perfect for prying utility.

(edit) including pictures

whole.jpg

edge.jpg

end.jpg

Bill...your observation is probably correct on laser washout. I will speak to my cutter on Monday.

Hadron...yes, at this juncture it appears that a couple and maybe a few more might have slipped through the quality inspection of several hundred. This was our first BIG BIG BIG production run of this model, so it seems like a few bugs still need to get worked out. I'm glad we have the chance to improve...it makes our products better and our company stronger.

Feel free to send it in and we'll get that honey screaming the hair off your arm.

Andy, from what I've read in numerous threads here, you are always willing to stand behind your products. Support like this is what makes a company great. Still, I'm not going to bother with shipping delays when I can easily repair it myself.

Just for fun I'm inluding a pic that I put up in the CRK forum, need to get a better lighting system, so I can show off the wrap... though I'm still considering putting on a couple micarta slabs.

crk_friends.jpg

The Brend is it!

Somethings going on with the brends from 1sks...
my hatchet arrived today (after a two month wait!) and I found it to be in the same condition as Raden's...
What's up?!?

I am not going to be able to send mine in either as I am preparing to deploy and I know how shipping works during the christmas holiday.

Raden, how are you sharpening yours up and are you going to just grind down the "spur" on the pommel end?
What should I do to make it ALL better?!?

Also, does anyone have the one shoulder rig from survival sheaths?! Just curious as I want an easy way to carry my hatchet while in 782 gear (I am wearing an H-Harness, not the crappy MOLLIE LBV that is issued).

Any comments?
I have a variant busse SH-E riding on my right leg in a custom drop sheath by the way, so I would want the single shoulder rig under my left arm...

Crowinghorse and All...

The very sharp corner of the pommel is a problem in the laser programming...in short, powering up or down a few clicks will probably resolve it on the next run. The few thousandths that the pommel corner is "washed" or uneven will not effect performance or function.

Our sharpening operation is indeed "in-house" and something we control directly. At the bottom quarter of the primary cutting edge, it appears we may have had a small number lifted off the belt too soon, which provided a few thousandths of bluntness instead of the desired "wire" at the bevel before the buffing operation, which provides the shaving sharp edge.

In short, if you are not happy with the sharpness of your Brend, send it in and we will get it scaring the hair off your arm when you get it back in a few days.

If you want to do it yourself, hit the desired area with a medium, then fine stone or ceramic sharpening tool. The 1050 responds well to hand sharpening due to its composition and hardness.

I apologize for any inconvenience and assure anyone reading that we are not happy about this...however, we will make it right for those who are less than completely satisfied.

Thanks,

Mr.Prisco, I have had the Brend on my want list for quite some time. Seeing that you stand behind your product makes it jump to the head of the line. My question is, you mentioned there were a few things that needed tweaked in the first large run of the Brends. Have you guys done a second run yet and if so what dealers have that run?? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I am one of those impatient people and I would hate to order one and have to send her in before I get to know her. Especially since I am going to have to try to bribe Raden to wrap mine for me :D So I would rather definatly have a squared away verson coming at me the first time around. Thanks

(Edited to add part about wrap)

Re, the pommel point; have to say that the little extra bit is quite sharp, moreso than an even grind would be. I have no real need for it, but in combat situations, having a sharper point there could prove beneficial.

Andy, it appears that Tex-coat is available from automotive paint shops, Transtar brand, is this the same or similar to the stuff you use? It would be nice to be able to touch up the finish ourselves.

...LOVE your profile name "bad guy". Too cool... :cool:

Let me answer your question and deal with a larger issue that it speaks to for everyone's benefit.

We have not commenced our second production run as yet...more than likely it will be sometime in February.

As for some of the laser-wash and sharpening concerns voiced here on the forum, it really wouldn't be prudent for us to assume that ALL the Brend Hatchets in the first production run would present the same issues to the customer upon arrival. In other words, some if not most, may be just fine.

There is really no way to tell at this point because so many have been shipped, other than to do a recall, which these issues do NOT warrant. They are cosmetic and do not affect the function or performance of the piece or its intended purpose to any great degree.

Our perspective is that the Brend Hatchet is a hard-use, very well made, custom designed piece that's less than $100...and it will provide more fun and value than most items like it in our industry that are priced three to four times as much.

If anyone is less than perfectly satisfied with their purchase, for any reason, we will move heaven and earth to make it right...that's just how we operate and have operated since our inception.

We feel terrible that some folks have been less than completely satisfied upon the arrival of their Brend. Any blemish is indeed legitmate to us and appropriate for the customer to voice disappointment.

However, we remain grateful that folks see them for what they are, and are willing in some cases to overlook them or resolve an issue right at home. That's not to say we aren't 110% willing to handle it...just that on this particular item, it's not a major deal like it might be on a more expensive item.

Hadron...Our tex-coat is an industrial coating, applied by an industrial coater. I will see if there are any commerical products that our coater can recommend.

Thanks.

Sounds good. I will most likely place my order from 1SKS this upcoming week. If I have any problems I can't handle, at least I know that you guys are there if I need ya. Thanks allot:)

Back