Notice the subtle snakehead and body theme on the spring:

IMG_0035_zps5f515bf3.jpg

IMG_0038_zps21a6d4b7.jpg

I filed the end of the spring to look like a rattlesnake rattle:

IMG_0040_zps504ce93d.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsbb07a93a.jpg

IMG_0043_zps1acf6470.jpg

IMG_0041_zpsce809f52.jpg

I really love this knife. It is a perfect size and locks up like a vault. It works great as both a whittler and a general purpose knife.
Nice looking knife. Good job.
Dave

Cool mod! I did one with a wharncliffe style blade a while back, and it has proven to be quite a useful knife.

keep up the good work!

I have been completely inspired by this thread the awesome work on these old tl-29's. I've got an OLD one that was given to me in rough shape. Hopefully I'll be adding some mods of my own to this thread soon. I'll take some pictures of the donor knife tomorrow. :)

Pretty sure it's not cherry but I think you're on to something with the chestnut. I never thought about chestnut, because it's getting so hard to find nowadays.

Chestnut can range from Tan to red to brown, so I'm going with chestnut.

Thanks

That knife turned out beautiful. Here's some chestnut I used for a mora handle for a reference.

I took a few days off from my TL-29 modding over the holidays. I made this one as my version of the 77 SFO knives that Collector Knives did a run of. I did not get mine because my mail caught the notice as spam, and I was really bummed (and still am).

I tried to modify the screwdriver blade to keep it as long as possible as a Wharncliffe. I scaled this is some gorgeously figured desert ironwood. It is quite a lovely and sturdy knife.

IMG_0113_zps32a3d07b.jpg

IMG_0112_zps1c875849.jpg

IMG_0114_zps66fe2c75.jpg
IMG_0117_zpsd3358c3f.jpg

Yowza!! dma1965, you sure are making some splendid knives, and you keep coming up with new ideas for mods you want to try! Fantastic work you're doing! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

Seeing all of the mods that have been popping up lately, I think its time for a bump!

Very cool step by step. Will have to try this someday and you can bet I will have this thread handy! Thanks

I did this TL-29 about 4 months ago it is my second attempt, It came out much better than my first attempt, I used Ebony this time and kept it looking like a TL-29, except for the lack of a bail. These were never expensive knives so I left the bolsters a bit subdued.
The blade was a bit off center and still is so I'm happy it went back together with out getting any worse.

I have one more and it has nice centered blades, with no gaps or other issues, so I'm going to leave it as is. I didn't mind risking a knife with issues but don't want to alter a good TL-29. I did find a Colonial knife military E2 Ranger, to use as my last project. They are beefy little knives made with 440 C stainless steel, Rockwell 58-60 C.
Camillus%20ebony%201_zpsi3yskv5f.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Camillus%20ebony%202_zpsy1uv0nxn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I've been interested in modifying a TL-29 for a long time, and have owned three that I ended up gifting and not keeping (they're great introductory knives!)

I've got two questions:
One, why does everyone remove the screwdriver?
Two, does anyone have some spare screwdriver blades lying around they wouldn't mind parting with?

Great work everyone,
Connor

Back