Broke my BK-9

Here are the pix. Sorry, I took 'em as soon as I got home, so the lighting in the garage is horrible, and the knife is just rested on the trunk of my car.
Anyway, Enjoy!

SSPX0026.jpg

SSPX0027.jpg

SSPX0029.jpg

SSPX0028.jpg

The last two are showing the fracture point or whatnot.

were those dark spots on the break there when it broke or did it just get dirty?

I have some dings on the handle part (1.5 inch blade) but these are from trying to free the stuck and already broken blade from the log.

Looking at it now, and considering all the fact, I honestly think it had a weak point from factory. I have never seen or heard of a knife break that way. And really guys, it felt just way too easy when it broke.

Anwyay, I'll post pix in the next post. Uploading them to photobucket right now.

if you can take pictures in sunlight, or bright light, get that macro mode going, clear up the end shots - they look rusted? i wonder if you had a micro crack already, and rust got in, or inclusions? happens.

i wouldn't call that breaking the handle off though - that's a clear section of the blade itself that broke off; with handle breaks, the ones i've seen break off at or IN the handle (nastly) because of stress risers, etc, bleah...

you got yourself a nice little utility knife :) well, for now... call KaBar/Toooj around 10am or so, and they'll probably have you mail the remains in, and PROBABLY you'll get a new knife, whilst they examine yours. probably. they's good like that.

Bladite

I would be very surprised if Tooj doesn't replace it, pronto. They are good like that. That is a bummer for sure, but things do happen.

I would be very surprised if Tooj doesn't replace it, pronto. They are good like that. That is a bummer for sure, but things do happen.

oh for sure... but he is DEFINITELY going to want to see this one close up. he's like that too :> what he can learn by looking at the structure will be educational and profitable!

i wouldn't mind hi-rez macros myself.

Bladite

oh for sure... but he is DEFINITELY going to want to see this one close up. he's like that too :> what he can learn by looking at the structure will be educational and profitable!

i wouldn't mind hi-rez macros myself.

Bladite

any knife maker is like that, I remember a while back Kevin Cashen I think it was (not 100% though), was looking for images or people to send in broken blades for him to look at under the microscope (didnt matter who the maker was)...you can learn heaps from a break like that.

If those dark spots were there to begin with in the break, it looks like a lemon heat treat to me. I'm no expert and I don't claim to be but that BK9 broke at what looks be a very strong point with the spine, thickness of the blade itself, and the strength of the steel keeping it from snapping like that. They'll definitely warranty this for sure and take care of you but if you can somehow get pictures like everyone else is requesting of the wood, I'm sure Becker would be happy for your help.

Razersharp1986,

Sorry to hear about your BK-9.
Please safety wrap all of the parts and send them back to KA-BAR:

KA-BAR Knives
200 Homer Street
Olean, NY
Attn: Paul Tsujimoto

We'll replace it. We always like to get the knives back so we can investigate.
If we find that you are a knife abuser, you will get flogged...nicely, of course. ;)
Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Last edited:
TOOOOOOOOOOJ!!!!

See, Beckerhead #009's gotcha back. Great knives, great service, great people. Man, I love Kabar/Becker.

Moose

freezing temps and knots can make a bad day for any knife, batoning.

I feel for you bro, but the BK9 I had is two generations of tough (with me for 6 years and now my little brother for 2).

Best,
zeke

Cool Cool. I'll def send the remains of the knife back! I guess I don't send the sheath though... right?!

Also, the black spots were not there before, it might be rust that occurred after the break. When I examined it under the light of my Fenix flashlight (it was pretty dark when the knife broke), I could see no rust spots or anything, it actually looked pretty weird, first time I ever got a chance to see how a blade looks like from the INSIDE.
Furthermore, I probably cannot and will not take a picture of the log / wood I've been working, since I'd have to drive far from where I live to make this happen. Regardless, steel should always beat wood in my opinion, and anyway I don't think it was the wood's faulty, since I used way thinner knives to baton through such logs many times before. My Magnum camp and cheapo CS machetes all stood up to work such as batonning, even though these were obviously not designed to used in such manner. Thus my disappointment.

Thank you Tooj for the reply and reassurance. I'll be more happy when you realize that I was not abusing the knife, and send me a new one! :D
Overall I hate knife abusers (sorry for all the abusers out there), and never had fixed blade knife fail on me (BK9 first :().
I was using the Bk-9 as it's supposed to be used. After all, it is not a butter knife to say the least.

When I get my replacement BK9, I'll make sure to test it out, maybe even go to the same location. Definitely gonna send a report on how that one performed also.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the replies, and all the help offered. I love many knife companies, but for the outdoors, nothing beats a good Becker!

Cheers! :thumbup:

Dayum...:eek: BUSTED! Wow, that's a first for me. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was a gag or something...nope. BUSTED!

Gotta say though, top notch service from KaBar, huh? Toooj himself comes by and makes good! I like that... a lot!:thumbup: All the more reason for me to keep spending my money with a company who deserves it!

This is why I like Becker knives. You have a problem and you get to speak to the senior engineer about the problem. If Ethan was'nt hunting you probably would have heard from him also. Now that is service.

I think it is amazing that such a big chunk of metal can actually break. I mean on an intellectual level I understand the concepts of stress and fractures and all the different things that go into breaking a knife, but to see it happen still kinda boggles the mind. Good company though to take care of you so quick, and it makes me feel better about my purchases knowing if something goes wrong though.

I think it is amazing that such a big chunk of metal can actually break. I mean on an intellectual level I understand the concepts of stress and fractures and all the different things that go into breaking a knife, but to see it happen still kinda boggles the mind. Good company though to take care of you so quick, and it makes me feel better about my purchases knowing if something goes wrong though.

I agree. When I saw that it broke ,especially since I did not use it nearly as hard as I thought it could be used, I was stunned. I literally was not able to move or remove my gaze from the broken blade. Totally opened my eyes, made me realize that even such a thick slab of steel can definitely break, even when not abused.

Btw, I did not send it in yet. Too busy with work and family. It is after all the holiday season and it's been pretty crazy for me. But as soon as I send it in (hopefully this week), I'll post an update!

Razersharp1986,

Sorry to hear about your BK-9.
Please safety wrap all of the parts and send them back to KA-BAR:

KA-BAR Knives
200 Homer Street
Olean, NY
Attn: Paul Tsujimoto

We'll replace it. We always like to get the knives back so we can investigate.
If we find that you are a knife abuser, you will get flogged...nicely, of course. ;)
Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Hey, I'm embarrassed to ask, but is "safety wrapping" some special method? is there a right way to do it? or should I just do w/e I can come up with so that the knife won't cut through the packaging?

Back