Review Brother 1516 VG10 Slip Joint ( Looks N Feels )

old4570

Banned By Request

No Rope slicing HERE ! ( Cos it apparently does not matter )

Wanted one of these for a long time , but there were so many other knives to want and test !
But here we are :
Looks great , feels really good .
Excellent walk N talk , no blade play to speak of !
And moist importantly ( not a typo ) , it cuts ........ printer paper ! ( Hmmmmm )
Yeah , there will be a rope slice later on .. But this post is for the Looks N Feels crowd !

Honestly , I can't find anything to fault . The finish on the knife is almost 100% .
If you wanted something better (?) , you might want to spend a lot more (?) .
At almost $60 Ozzi bananas to the door ( GST ) it's under $50USD , so from a looks N feels perspective ..... It's great ! ( Discounting possible performance issues )
I have only cut printer paper so far , so unless the knife suffers from some sort of performance anxiety ( like a fear of rope ) .
This could be ....................................... Let's talk about that after the knife is put to the rope ! Cos I might be the only person who want's to know how long it will stay sharp (?) .

Just having a little bit of fun ...................

Ok , back to the regular TV watching schedule ...

Factory edge put to the rope :
A very not embarrassing Fail at 300 slices with a Rolled edge .
Strop back was relatively easy ..

I was going to wait to do this , but we have weather rolling in ..
Apparently we are in for a McNasty Easter !
Had a sunny morning and now we have a overcast afternoon ! Rain expected ! ( Weather radar = 30 to 45 minutes till rain )

Re: Sharpened !

Wow . that factory edge was around 16 degrees . A little tight maybe ?
I pushed it to 16.5 degrees on the guided knife sharpener ( how much difference that makes ) .
But , re sharpened and ready to be put to the rope again ..

180 ( worn ) Diamond / 600 grit diamond / 5000 grit oil stone ... And stropped .

We are surrounded by rain , but apparently in the eye so to speak ... So only stupid high humidity . ( At the moment - ATM )

IMG-3064.jpg

IMG-3070.jpg

IMG-3076.jpg

It's kind of raining outside , so I took some pictures with my Canon 60D since recharged the battery this morning .

80 grit grind ( Wet stone knife sharpener - grinder )

The blade came out very toothy , possibly the most toothy 80 grit edge to date !
Funny thing , as I cut rope ... The edge got more toothy . Usually it's the other way round (?) , as the edge wears it gets smoother and less toothy ! ( ? )

Anyways , was a sunny but HUMID day , almost steamy ..
The first piece of paper sucked in moisture and the cut judge called for a fresh sheet .
This resulted in another 100 slices .. For a grand total of 450 slices ..
With an edge that looks to have worn away rather than rolled over . ( Good boy )

Funny thing , the edge was crazy toothy when I stropped it back (?) .. How does it get more toothy ? Is it the nature of VG10 ?

I have a brother slipjoint and it is very well made, although a bit heavy. Never really tested edge retention though since it's just an office knife

I had a little brother lockback sheepsfoot i got for 10$ here on the forums. It had CF handles and VG10. I eventually gave it away to a non-knife person and she really enjoys using it around the house. She tried using it to garden once and noticed the blade chipping slightly when hitting light amounts of dirt. I told her the steel is hard and usually used for kitchen knives and sharpened it back for her. She uses it for in-house packages, envelopes, arts and crafts and have not needed sharpening since.

I might get a few more just to test, not that many Chinese companies making decent budget modern traditionals.

Back