Brous Bionic XL

I started with a SSF in CF, love the knife even if it is a bit Klingony. It worked superbly well when my job involved opening many boxes although it raised some eyebrows. I liked it enough to grab another Brous, the Bionic 2.0. Another great knife! It has seen a ton of use, edc and tougher work without batting an eyelash. Then comes Derrick from KSF with his Bionic XL. I convinced myself I didn't need it, well not really but I kept putting it off. Then it's announced that they are on clear out, hmmm... put it off some more as exchange rates are brutal. Tax return comes in and I said to myself, "if the coupon code they sent me works on top of the clearout price, I'll get one" well what do you know, it worked! So after shipping to Canada and exchange it came out to almost exactly my pitiful return so now I wait and wait, (Canadapost sucks!) I am very happy that I bought one. This knife is amazing. Action is perfect, f&f top notch and the ergos are excellent. KSF's comparison pics to the 2.0 don't show how much bigger it really is. 2.0 feels much like a delica whereas the XL fills my hand more like my lrg Sebenza.
Praise aside, on to the negatives. First the sharpening notch, (see apostlep's YouTube vid. Whether you like him or hate him, he's right on this one) I had already done this mod on my 2.0 before his vid and did the same to the XL as soon as it arrived. Second, the clip. It does it's job, it can be switched for us lefties and doesn't create ant hotspots. But it moves around a bit too much unless you add a drop of superglue being careful not to get on the threads. It can bend out a bit too easily if it catches on something too. I wish it were a bit wider and used more than one screw.
I think this will be my main edc moving forward for quite some time. If you've thought about getting one, DO IT! If you haven't considered one, do so.

Oh, I'll add a note about the lockup, it's very early. Almost too early if you ask me but it's solid. My experience with my both of my other Brous knives was the same and they work their way over to a confidence inspiring lockup in a few weeks and stay that way.

Great write up Spyderg!!
I bought a first gen Bionic off the Exchange. The seller had selective memory when posting his sales thread and forgot to mention the detent ball fell out and the knife would not flip!!
Ugh. Decided to hit Keena Brous up and see what they could do for me.
2 weeks later I had a brand new Bionic 2.0 and it's flawless!! Love the fact you can open most of his blades numerous ways!
Today I have 6 of Jason's knives and love each one!!
I know he doesn't get much good press here, but I have no complaints at all!
Bought a Mini Division off the Exchange also, seller failed to mention the unbelievably horrible lock stick in the sales thread!! Beginning to see a pattern!!
Went on the web site, Jason said no prob, just send it in......a week later it came back with a carbidized lock face and is now one of my favorite knives!!
Excellent customer service and some really cool blades!
Now I'm looking at the Big Bionic!!
Joe

Thnx, I don't bother with a quick review on most of my knives as most have been reviewed to death at this point, but as you mentioned Brous doesn't get much attention and this knife, (and others) I feel deserves it. (Posted on Spyderco forum, of topic under same user name too) Right now it's priced right and I managed to get even more of a deal on mine! It has such a nice feel and satisfying sound to it. You can "Spydie flick" it using the fuller or slowly open using it. And of course the flipping action is fantastic, Brous really has his detents dialed in. The blade ALMOST falls shut, takes just a tiny twitch or wiggle but I suspect after a few weeks it will drop on its own. Derrick talks about how people found the 2.0 to be too small hence the XL. I find the 2.0 is a bit small for some tasks but I bought it to be a small, light carry and for that, it's perfect. But knowing how great the 2.0 is made me want the big brother and it doesn't disappoint. It somehow feels heavier than the 3.9 oz listed weight in hand inspiring confidence but carries small and light. I'll also mention that my experience with Brous' D2 is that it's done right. Holds an edge incredibly well yet touches up and sharpens easy. Not the slightest bit chippy either and no rolled edges through much use. My other 2 are the dark acid stonewash or whatever he does to them, My XL is satin and after a couple days of use in the kitchen and a few light cutting tasks she's showing hints of a patina which I really like since I'm for the most part into traditional style these days and 1095=beautiful patina. At the moment I can't think of anything else to add but if anyone has a question, ask.

Still carrying it everyday, can't seem to put it down or give it's pocket space to my others right now, (Smock SK23 got a 1/2 day). It might be the closest I'll get to "MY" perfect edc. The only thing I'm not 100% in love with is still the clip. I really wish it used 2 screws. The ALMOST free dropping blade still isn't quite perfectly free, likely never will due to the lock bar tension required for that amazing Brous detent, and I'm just fine with that. It's a touch free-er than my ZT 452 anyway. My wife is annoyed with me always opening and closing the thing, and I do it with all my knives but I must be doing it more with this one 'cause she's never really complained before. I have to say that even though it isn't, it really has a custom feel to it. Do yourself a favour and check them out!

I just finished up cutting a bunch of thick plastic I'm using under a garden shed. Got from the warehouse I used to work at. Thick stuff, pallet sized and looks like egg carton. Anyways, after cutting through 20' or so, (and of course the last couple weeks of regular use) she is still shave sharp! Love Brous' D2!

Well, my worries about the clip proved to be warranted, after snagging it torqued and f**ked up the surrounding aluminium. I contacted Brous and they offered for me to send it in for a replacement scale but with Canada border services being stupid now combined with the fact that it will surely just happen again anyway I declined. I had hoped for a better clip option they might be able to make for me but no go so I took a Spyderco, (Byrd actually) clip and tweaked it, added some holes to the knife and voila! So far seems good. Good retention, rides well and no hot spots. Not as pretty as it could have been from factory but not bad.

I'm thinking about getting one, right now they're on sale for about$90 to $100 depending on what color you get. Do you all like them after using them a while? Do you think it's worth spending a hundred on?

The knife is definitely worth it, it is really a great knife. Brous D2 is heat treated right too. The clip sat better on the side for right hand carry so it shouldn’t be an issue either. If you’re a lefty and plan on carrying and using it, you might run into the same problem I had. One thing to note is Brous is releasing a bunch of his models in the form of a Chinese made much cheaper option. I don’t know if the Bionic xl will end up in this line up but you never know, And if you like his other knives you might want to grab one of them instead..?

Back