buck 102 woodsman: pleasently surprised

I just bought a buck 102 woodsman.
It's a great value knife. For the price point, most bang for the buck, pun intended, ja.

It's very light in the hand. 2 ounces.
Out of the box, it was MORE than shaving sharp, wich only happened to me with an Spyderco Manix 2 XL. Cutting paper, yes. Shaving sharp, yes, say a Yojimbo 2. MORE than shaving sharp, the Manix XL and this one. What I mean with more than shaving sharp? Whenever I unbox a knife, I try the edge on paper and on my personal body hair. So, what I felt is that it shaved very agressively, and that I was very near to take a portion of my personal body meat if not very careful. It's a tactile sensation. Haptic would a techno guy say.

Also, it has a very useful blade shape, a bowie with an almost persian belly sweep.
The size, four inches of blade, and the light weight, mades it a great edc if you want to edc a fixed blade.

It's cheap in price, USD17, but not in fit and finish. It has a real leather sheat, black and silver handle, and a polished blade. It's more than presentable.

The use would be a small game and general fish skninner, a bird and trout design.
As I said, it's very sharp out of the box, and it's very easy to resharpen to a great edge again.

The steel is 420hc, wich stands for high carbon. The conventional knowledge says that as a steel is not in the same league of s30v or better, but due to blade and edge geometry, a greqt propietary heat threatment, and the high carbon plus, in performance the average user won't be able to tell the difference.
The handle is phenolic resin compound. Again, the common ideas refer to it as a cloth or paper material mixed with phenolic resin and the compacted, producing a hard plastic impervious to soaps and other chemical agressors, very resistant. It sounds to me like the father or maybe the granpa of micarta.

So you have a nice looking small fixed blade with great edge and nor less great black leather sheath, for 17 dollars. An all around winner.

Critics say that
a. It's to small, one should get at least a 105 "Pathfinder", wich is an inch longer, or better the 119,
b. the sheath it's worst than in the past, and is produced in Mexico.
c. the steel could be better
d. it's not full tang, so if you baton with it, it will break.

To a, it has the size for it's use, wich is for small game and fish. I've red that you can use it on greater game like deers, but with some discomfort. So I would say the opposite, that this blade packs a lot of wallop for its size.

To b, I never knew the previous sheath, and I like this one. I imagine that leather and its manufacturing it's cheaper in Mexico. As a consumer, I'm happy for the sheath at so a low price. And understanding the ones who only buy usa products, two ideas: 1. hey, its better than China, isn't it?, and 2. There is a worldwide trend to produce again in USA, because compared wages and other costs are rising everywhere. So I predict very soon outsourcing the sheaths will end.

To c, for the price point, it couldn't. If you are willing to pay more, you can get from Buck or other resellers customized models with much better steel.

Finally, to d, it's not a chunk of 1095 steel, it's a small stainless skinner. Don't baton with it, unless you don't mind to break it due to extreme circumstances.

I plan to edc this knife every day, so further thoughts may be added to this post.
Regards.

Thanks for the review. I've got two 102s. I bought one of the "Mexican snoopy" sheaths for one of mine. The sheath is very well designed, holds the knife securely and compliments the small size of the knife. I also found the sheath to be well made.

I won't own a woodsman,its just too small for anything i need,its too lightweight to actually do any serious work with in a hunting situation.Not for me

I've found the 102 to be a great little knife for cleaning/gutting trout or pan fish. I don't hunt, so I don't have any idea how well it would work for larger game, but I suspect that in a pinch, it would work out fine if used by someone who knows what they're doing. I've heard of deer being gutted using a 301.

More ideas:
very acute tip, a fact that I omitted mentioning in the OP. It's not a weak one, but I guess the user shouldn't abuse it.

The blade is a very high hollow grind, almost full flat.

There's a typical bowie unsharpened swedge, and,finally, the blade it's quite thick for it's lenght.

The 102 is one of my favorite Buck fixed blade knives. I love the 110, so the 102 kinda fits into that size knife.

Baby Bowie Ol 102 he just about da right size.

I tinks da 102 will does anything the 110 will does.

That means the 102 will do just about anyting mosts of us will want.

I'd just as well use me a 110.

Nice review. Your observations make a l lot of sense to me.

I do wish Buck would make a series of outdoors knives that are full flat ground with stronger tips. I guess that is what the hoodlum/punk/thug are, but they are a little too tacticool for my liking. Something like a Vanguard with a FFG would be great.

Continued EDCing it.
Tried it tonight on a barbecue. We argentineans take great pride in our barbecues, and there are several meat cuts, bones, leather and things like that to try a knife.
I had a very small argentinean fixed 420 blade, a boker armed forces folder, and several serrated tramontinas, besides the buck 102.
It crushed them all. I'm gonna buy the cocolobo handle and a 103 limited edition.
When it cutted, it felt like a very sturdy and hard knife, really sharpened. But when you finish cutting, you hold it in your hand and realize that it's very light. It cutted where others rolled. You see, we eat pork ribs but with a lot of meat on them, we eat cow ribs, so even when taking care of cutting meat, you constantly are nicking bones.
Also, we cut the meat directly over the fire, so you also nick the iron of the barbecue.
I was eating in the table, with guests, and had to restrain myself from getting my other knives out and start comparing.
Also, great concealment. Been carrying on the belt, the sheat inside the left front pocket of my jeans, and a shirt with one flap out to cover the handle, and worked great.
I forgot it was there.

Nothing but praises.

I have my father's 102 and prize it. I used to be a big knife fan when I was young and uneducated. After I got older and wiser, I started appreciating smaller fixed blade knives. The 102 is at the top of the heap in my opinion.

I am trying to convince Buck to make the 102 a custom shop knife with an S30V option. (I would really love a regular production of an S30V version!).

0527151955_zpsg3ty9ikf.jpg

love the 102. posted these pics a few times lately but here they are again :)
I won't own a woodsman,its just too small for anything i need,its too lightweight to actually do any serious work with in a hunting situation.Not for me
Good thing my hunting isn't that serious :)
here it for size comparison next to some other very capable knives

0527151944_zpspneaesj6.jpg

I too agree about a FFG blade or bring back the old fat meaty hollow grind like on the vintage woodsman's and other bucks. I have been carrying mine more lately nice size for edc or BBQ

Doc, the 102 is not a full tang. It is a thru tang. All the way thru the handle. It's a stick tang, a rat-tail tang, ect.. Look at he tang on the 124 topics that are currently going. That model has a full tang. The steel can be seen at the sides of the handle material. A 4" blade is plenty of knife for field dressing and skinning a deer. DM

Thanks David. I know it is a stick tang, not a rat tail. This is a type of full tang that goes the length, but not the width, of the handle. I meant the comment to be opposed to any idea that the knife has a weak partial tang, as many knives do, today (Bill Moran Spyderco comes to mind). This little 102 is no weak knife, as many people can testify to.

Ok. We've discussed tang types in other threads and those can be found in a search. I'll not belabor the point in this as magico (the original poster) has already stated it and this being an old topic. DM

Hidden tang!?!? ;). :)
But let's stop starting this ongiong discussion again. Some have a very strict opinion in this contxt. ;)

Haebbie

Last edited:
rat tail tang is plenty strong. anyone break a Buck or Ka-Bar Marine/Army fighting knife or Ontario 499 Pilot Survival knife at the blade/tang lately? I didn't think so.

Back