Buck 110 or 112?

Just posted this question in traditional fixed and folders and was sent here.
I'm torn between the 110 and 112 and would like your vote as to which one I should purchase and why. :D (sounds fun right?)
I want opinions and genuine user feedback.
Any help will be appreciated
-Andrew

I have never held a 112 but my 110 feels right in my hand. It is probably one of the biggest folding blades I have that I am still comfortable with. Mainly because I use fixed blades most of the time. Hell my brother even battoned with mine before I caught him:mad: But I have had no issues with the knife since (years ago), so in a survival situation you could safely use it as a "substitute" for a fixed blade.

I would just find a place where you can hold both knives and see which one feels better to you.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the Buck forum, you came to the right place! IMHO you need to get one of each, that's 4 knives. A 110 & 112 standard, plus a 110 & 112 with finger grooves. Use each one for 3 months and come back and tell us which one you like best and why. We are very interested in your genuine user feedback and opinion ;)

This should be a good thread you started here. I like them both the same. But, I do EDC a 110 and not a 112.

jb4570

Last edited:
I've been a 112 user for about a quarter of a century. I don't need anything larger in a folding knife.

I carried a 110 for years, still do sometimes, but the 112 just seemed to fit me better. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of opinions both ways!

I recently acquired my first 112, used, after owning a 110 since about 1970. I'm hard pressed to pick one over the other, although I've been carrying the 112 in my vest pocket ever since I got it. Might be the novelty of a new knife. I suppose if I had to pick only one, it would be the 110.

the 112 dont fit my hand
the one ten does
best of both would be a 112 shaped 110 sized knife!
the 112 IMHO is a girlie knife
as most all girls i know that carry, carry a 112..
seems to fit their hands better

The true answer boils down to only one question:
Are you a man with girl-size hands?:p

The 112 is the decaffeinated with skim milk version of the 110. Go real or go home.;)

:D Otherwise your ID would be Buck_112!;)

I confess I don't yet have a 112, though I will get the new Eco-lites. People complain (whine? :p:D) about the size and weight of the 110, but I find the weight gives good stability while handling. Frankly, I haven't felt the need to try the 112. I've always gone for the 110s and the 111s. The women I know who carry, carry a 111 or some entirely different knife like the Vantage Pro.

I'd kinda like to get some classic 112s with the 440C steel. And I may be seduced by some limited editions. But I don't think I'll be crossing over to the little-folk size for EDCs. ;)

I have both and have used both and depending on my mood, can carry either one. All in all, the one that I "go to" the most often is a 112 with finger grooves. I have relatively small hands and it just fits. All else being equal, which I think they are, get the one that feels good. It's like a pair of shoes, you may buy what's stylish, but you'll wear the ones that feel good. They all protect your feet. I don't even want to consider owning only one or the other.

Jack

If you think the 110 is too big, buy the 112. If you think the 112 is too small, buy the 110. Both is nice knives that will get the job done.
Or do the obvious thing, buy both. That was been my solution in the 110/112 dilemma.
But, the 110 was my carry knife for a LONG time.
timann

I have a pretty large collection and I'll have to say that the 110 out numbers the 112 by at least five to one, probably more than that. Neither one I consider as a "pocket" knife, so when I carry one on my belt, it's nearly always a 110. Most of my 112's are specials of one kind or another.

I know that it's a case of esthetic's for me in some ways. If Buck had made the 112 proportionally smaller all over instead of just shortening it up, it would still have the streamlined and classic proportions of the 110 instead of having that "stubby" look to it. That would appeal to me much more and actually make it more "pocket" friendly.

I have tried working with a 112 doin my deer doins. It doesn't fill my hand up like a 110 does. I want a frame that extends beyond my little finger.

bed of dreams
no i am not hard core .. but i dont jest jump in to bed either!
Dave,

I love that photo! Just how long dose it take to lay out 144 110/111's? Next question, did you cut a hole in that red blanket by catching a blade on it or dropping one on it;)

When is Clint going to wade in here and dispute your claim that a 112 is a girls knife? Sibling rivalry;)

jb4570

the 112 dont fit my hand
the one ten does
best of both would be a 112 shaped 110 sized knife!
the 112 IMHO is a girlie knife
as most all girls i know that carry, carry a 112..
seems to fit their hands better

ROTFL:D:D:D

Do you have that statement filed and ready to go? I knew as I scrolled down reading the posts, this one would be here worded exactly like this, except Im not sure I remembered your absolutely brilliant idea of 112 bolsters in 110 size and blade:thumbup::thumbup:

Now the question..Andrew, welcome-take the advise of those who said buy both, or better, listen to jb and get the fingergrooves also:) I have both and believe the 112 will do pretty much anything the 110 does. I like the 110 and only really carry the 112 so it doesnt feel left out. My hands are 110 size but I do believe that the longer blade and blade stroke is an advantage. Take something as simple as cutting a branch for a marshmellow, if its thick, a 110 might cut thought on 1 stroke just because it was that much longer. I dont know-at least got to a store where you can handle em both.

Fritz

usually when i pull a newer firearm out of my safe its pretty easy to convince the woman that its the same old one ive always had, but im pretty sure that wouldnt work with a gross of Buck knives :eek:

usually when i pull a newer firearm out of my safe its pretty easy to convince the woman that its the same old one ive always had, but im pretty sure that wouldnt work with a gross of Buck knives :eek:

It would work if you took them out only one at a time.

Back