Recommendation? Buck 110 VS Case Folding Hunter

Case Folding Hunter or Buck 110?

• Total voters
I've had a 70's - 80's buck 110 for about two years now. It was my great-grandad's, so I never carry it, it sits in a case. Recently, I started looking at Case's website (https://www.zippo.com/collections/knives) ( I order through zippo) and I really like the large folding hunter. On a computer monitor, the knife looks about like the size of a trapper, but I was at academy yesterday and they had one in the case by the firearms are and I was shocked by its size. The 110's closed length is 4 7/8 in. The folding hunter's is 5 1/4 in. closed. I like the buck's size, so my question is; how does the folding hunter stack up to a 110 in terms of feel in hand, looks, quality, fit and finish, etc. Thanks.
- Aaron

For many years my collection was case brand only I own 2 folding hunters. Not to say that the 110 is a bad knife my vote is strictly for the one I know

Partly going to depend on just how old that Buck is.
Buck used 440C blade steel for the 110 from its inception till 1985-1986.
They used 425M from 1986 until 1994.
They used 420HC from then on.

Buck 420HC will hold an edge noticeably better than Case Tru Sharp.
So will 425M
So will 440C only more so.

I've had a Buck 110 since the late 60's. And it got used a lot.
And I have a fair number of Case knives.

My opinion is that the Case Folding hunter will feel better in the hand and will feel more finely finished. The Buck won't have to be sharpened as frequently.

I love the looks of the case folding hunter, but would only buy one if available in carbon steel as I love my buck 110 to even consider a competitor if it'll also be stainless.

Case makes their folding hunter in CV steel in the Chestnut Bone CV family. 2-blade version. They make the single-blade CV in Yellow Delrin.

Either one will do a good job for you, and both are available in a variety of handle materials and a couple of steels. The Case options are factory runs that are available through dealers. The 110 non-standard options are available through Buck's custom shop and through dealers that have gotten Buck to do special runs for them.

Simply because the case comes in a much wider variety of handle options.

I have both. I personally prefer the Buck 110. There are so many cover and steel options, that you could get lost in collecting just that one model of knife. Buck also has a really nice heat treatment and thin grind. Here are a couple of my favorites:

This was made in the custom shop, many years ago. Stag covers and partially serrated hollow ground BG-42 blade. Finger grooved handles and brass bolsters, with custom blade etch.

beaver1.jpg

This one has cocobolo dymondwood scales and flat ground D2 blade. Nicket silver bolsters this time around. I like this one so much that I ordered a custom crossdraw sheath for it.

rmv3udvh.jpg

9qK4bMch.jpg

I have both, and prefer the Case. It's more slender, lighter weight, and mine has two blades, which is a plus. The lack of a locking blade on the Case has not been a problem.

For skinning and cutting up a deer - not much difference. For retaining an edge - the edge goes to Buck (note the clever pun). But the Case steel is soft enough to sharpen easily. The lock shouldn't be an issue, the Case Folding Hunter I own has a stiff closing snap, so an accidental close shouldn't happen (but you know about fate, empty guns, and what can happen will happen!) I would hate to clean the Case of blood, guts, and gore - the Buck can be bad enough if you are a "IG inspection" kind of knife owner. I would buy a Case and use it - then use your Buck - clean a couple of deer with each one, then you will have your answer. OH

The 110 will feel substantially heavier, and blockier (is that a word?) in hand.

i have both, actually have a Camillus version of the 110 and a real Buck 110, also have the Case folding hunter and an old Camillus 26 thats the same basic pattern
my Case is nice but if im needing a big folding sheath knife i go with the 110 (camillus or Buck) i like the lock, The case folding hunter is pretty thin compared to my old camillus 26 (camillus fills yer hand better) and the Case has sort of a lazy snap, beautiful knife but just a safe queen.
think it just depends on what ya wanna do with the knife

One thing I like about my 110 is it's easy to sharpen, and the edge holds up well. If it comes down to edge retention I'd go with Buck's 110. I haven't owned a Case Folding Hunter, but I have a Case Trapper and Mini Trapper w/ Caplifter. I put their edge retention on par with my Victorinox, maybe a little better, but no where near the Buck.

I have a few 110's and a few folding hunters by various companies. I have liner lock folding hunters, one and two blade folding hunters. No Case ones but I did work on one for a guy at work. Thought I would post a picture in case someone didn't know what this thread was about.

Back