Buck 119 tang type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BG, although I have agreed with you in the past, I don't on this one. Others have posted references validating there point that the 119 is a full tang knife. The tang runs the length of the grip portion of the handle. Unless you can validate your argument with contrary references, this thread has become just a one sided argument.

One-sided, yes......because nobody can figure a way to prove that the 119 and the 124 are not basically and essentially different in construction because the 124 is a full tang knife and the 119 is a stick tang knife.

That's a fact that nobody has been able to dispute and it's been show with pictures on this thread and others.

One-sided, yes......my side.

:)

Last edited:
One more reference to the meaning of full tang.
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/tang.htm

Don't you read your own links, Skyhorse??

From your link:
The best knives feature "full-tang" construction, meaning that the tang extends all the way to the end of the handle.

The 119 stick tang does NOT extend all the way to the end of the handle. It stops within the pommel, where it is fastened to the pommel by a pin.

The 124 tang, on the other hand, DOES extend the FULL length of the handle.

You just destroyed your own argument.

One-sided, yes......because nobody can figure a way to prove that the 119 and the 124 are basically and essentially different in construction because the 124 is a full tang knife and the 119 is a stick tang knife.

That's a fact that nobody has been able to dispute and it's been show with pictures on this thread and others.

One-sided, yes......my side.

So by your definition the full tang of the 124 with the addition of a larger grip and pommel that covered the tang would turn it into a knife that was no longer considered full tang because it was no longer exposed?

Yes.

If it's not full tang.......it's not full tang.

If the tang is not full......it's only partial.

That should be easy enough to understand.

The 119 Special is a full tang, but it is not an exposed tang such as a 124 Frontiesman or any other similar knife that has a slab (two separate pieces) handle. The 119 tang runs completely through the handle into the butt which is riveted to the tang.

Bill Keys
Director of Manufacturing & Engineering
Buck Knives, Inc
Here's a reading lesson for you BG42EDGE.I hope the word completely doesn't confuse.It's a big three syllable word.:)

Yeah, that's old news.

You're destroying your own argument again. He's admitting it's constructed with a partial tang and pinned instead of being a full tang like the 124.

Ho hum and yawn.

BG, has the barrel nut 119 a full tang? or has the mountig to be
outside of the pommel that you accept the knife as a full tang knife?

Haebbie

Last edited:
To be a full tang knife, the tang must extend all the way through the handle.....not just part way with an attachment pommel screwed or pinned on.

It also must equal the width of the handle--a narrow stick is not FULL--it is partial.

Full means full. It means nothing else.

Just looking at the pictures of the 124 and the 100 series knives broken down into parts reveals the truth.

The full-width and full-length 124 is far different from the thin and partial tang 119 with a pommel tacked on.

To lump them together under one name as "Full Tang" is clearly and simply not true.

It is not even a fine, perfectionist or disputable distinction--it is an obvious one that cannot be mistaken when looking at the dismantled knives.

Don't you read your own links, Skyhorse??

From your link:

The 119 stick tang does NOT extend all the way to the end of the handle. It stops within the pommel, where it is fastened to the pommel by a pin.

The 124 tang, on the other hand, DOES extend the FULL length of the handle.

You just destroyed your own argument.

It does?:rolleyes:
Full tang 124, just like a 119...120..and so on...it's just hidden...grind into the pommel about 3/8" from the end, and you'll hit the end of the tang

09272012.jpg

It does?:rolleyes:
Full tang 124, just like a 119...120..and so on...it's just hidden...grind into the pommel about 3/8" from the end, and you'll hit the end of the tang

09272012.jpg

Very nice partial hidden tang 124! I bet if you put it in a vice say next to a 124LE with full tang, the full tang would hold 2 to 3 times the amount of weight before breaking.

I think I will side with the expert, Bill Keyes. The 119 has a full tang. The tang does extend the length of the handle...and into the pommel.

BG...thanks for sharing your opinions.

Last edited:
Bill Keyes may well be an expert on some things, but he's laughably wrong on this.

His statement contradicts itself.

That's a fact.

Very nice partial hidden tang 124! I bet if you put it in a vice say next to a 124LE with full tang, the full tang would hold 2 to 3 times the amount of weight before breaking.

How do you figure partial? What length designates partial?

How do you figure partial? What length designates partial?

Well if the tang does not go all the way to the end of a but cap like the 124LE, then it is partial, if the tang is incased in a handle then it is hidden, so you have a partial hidden tang on that model of 124 you showed. I have a 124LE My tang goes to the end of the but cap and you can see the full length top and bottom of the tang so it is full.

Another reference from Gerber knives glossary> Tang: The portion of the blade where it connects to the handle. Full Tang means that the tang goes through the handle to the Pommel.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back