Buck 119 Testing

Great review! I haven't seen too many reviews about the 119.

I was close to getting one about a year ago but thought better of it. Maybe I need to take a second look.

Thanks to the OP for his review. I like to hear about folks using thier Bucks in any way that makes them happy.

Nice review! My experiences with the 119 have been comparable. I find it to be an excellent all-around camping/hiking/hunting knife.

Great test. I have no problem trusting my life to my 119, although I will be honest and say that I trust a true full tang like a Becker a bit more.
IMHO a 119 in a carbon steel like 5160 or 1095 would be great.

Thanks for the review. The best review of a 119 I ever read was by Cliff Stamp. I know a lot of people can't stand him, but his review of the 119 was extremely good. It used to be on the www, but I haven't seen it in years. He really worked it over.

The 119 is a very solid American classic.

Thanks for the great review. It helped me choose mine. Just picked it up. Date made- 31/12/2013. New Years Eve baby!

Thanks again,

Guys, It is my volunteer job to talk about this kind of stuff. I.E. bringing back really old threads for just a two line comment is a head scratcher. There's nothing illegal about doing so but usually a thread two years old is just a read and appreciate personally thread. Nothing wrong to start a new thread if you have some additional questions or really want to make a comment or tell a story about the model. In a thread this old some of the commenters have passed away and at least one or two have been banned from posting on BFs. Let me suggest you consider these old threads a bit before dragging them back, especially if they have more than a dozen replies and a bunch of photos from that long ago. I would suggest to all that the way to go is to start a new thread, make your comments then paste the original review in your post. Then people don't have to read all the "old" comments. The only thing you lose in this case is David Martins information on the 119 which he specializes in collecting along with the 103. But he will re-comment in the new thread.

300Bucks, Moderator

Last edited:
A 119 is a very good camping, hunting, truck knife that can take a lot of abuse. Which I'm not advocating. I'm merely going to relay a true story on a 119. My brother purchased his 119 in 1979 and began using it field dressing everything he took hunting. Which was mostly, whitetail, hogs, turkey and such. His method for field dressing was to split the pelvis by malleting his 119 thru it. I've Seen him do this numerous times during gutting. He'd make the cut from the ribs to the pelvis and then pick up a rock or break off a juniper limb and use that to mallet that 119 through this bone. I'd wager good American money that he has done this at least 100 times over the last 35 yrs.. I've examined this knife several times and it has very few mallet marks on it's spine. This is an extreme example and not something I'd do but it is material to be included in a discussion on 119's strenght. I use a different field dressing method. DM

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your discussion on the 119 David . I hunted with a Doctor that did the same thing
with his Buck 120. It was an older one like your brother's 119. But he would beat it through the pelvis an all his deer.
I did like you and looked at the spine on his as well and there was little wear from the cedar limbs he would
use to beat it through the pelvis on them deer and he was a good hunter and killed his share of them.

Where to buy?

Welcome to the forum buck-119bks. A little lower on the front page is a "For Sale By Dealers" forum. You'll find some reputable dealers there that sell Buck knives.

Otherwise, pointing members to stores or websites that sell knives is kind of a no-no here.

Keep us posted on yor 119 when you get it.

Back