Buck 482 - Is Clip Removable?

Can the clip on the Buck 482 be removed without damaging the knife?

If so, how?

I'm looking for a lockback knife with a 3" blade to replace my Opinel #8. The knife will be used mostly for backpacking, so light weight is a big factor - so much so that I'm willing to give up on some amount sturdiness. The Buck Ecolite 112 is nearly close to perfect but a) dropping another ounce of weight for the 482 would be good, b) I think I would prefer the blade shape of the 482 a bit more for this use (I own a 110, so am familiar with the pros/cons of the Ecolite's shape) and c) having the lanyard hole on the 482 would be ideal.

The one thing I don't need, nor frankly want on the 482 is the pocket clip.

I can't find a store that carries the 482 locally. Pictures and video reviews I've seen suggest the clip is attached by a rivet.

I would consider another Buck but I would want to keep the same basic shape of the 482's blade, a similarly large and well shaped handle, option for a lanyard hole, USA made and low weight. That is to say, the 482 looks ideal for my use - just want no clip on it.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Have you considered the 422? Nearly the same. Is on web specials for $18 right now... Heck of a deal.

Has no pocket clip.

Perfect. How did you find it? I could find by searching on 422, but couldn't navigate to it from the main menu.

Regardless, that's a fantastic! Thanks!

Perfect. How did you find it? I could find by searching on 422, but couldn't navigate to it from the main menu.

Regardless, that's a fantastic! Thanks!

But you did find it right?

I use firefox, clicked on Bucks website at the top of this forum, then put 422 in the search box. Took me right to the web special listing for it.

While you are at it, the larger 426 is there as well. Same money. I see the orange ones are gone.

I looked at my 482 and unless you're good with a dremel tool, I wouldn't try to remove the clip.I'm with everyone else, see if there is another model to use.

Back