Buck Factory Tour

I just thought I'd let everyone know my wife and I just returned from a trip over to the Buck factory in Post Falls. We had a great time and were treated to a great tour and a little extra by Joe Houser. Joe was very gracious and showed us a bit more than the normal tour and also had a great conversation. I had a chance to talk to the Buck warranty guy (sorry, I can't remember his name) who showed the various states that a 110 may show up in and how they go about making them look like new again. All in all very interesting and enlightening. I also had a chance to do a little shopping in the company store! They had the Buck/Mayo Northshore 173 on sale for $35 so I bought two of them; one for me and one for the husband of my wife's friend. I also bought a 531 BCCI special from 1991 for $120 which included a lifetime membership in BCCI. I figured that made the cost of the knife a mere $20. :thumbup:
All in all a great trip! Thanks again to Joe Houser for making it so memorable. I strongly recommend the tour to anyone who can make it up to Idaho. I'm just lucky to be a mere 3 1/2 hours away.

Hi Mike,

Was the BCCI 531 and lifetime membership a one time offer or did they have more than one of these to offer? Oh ya, what did you learn on your tour of the Buck plant?

jb4570

jb4570 said:
Hi Mike,

Was the BCCI 531 and lifetime membership a one time offer or did they have more than one of these to offer? Oh ya, what did you learn on your tour of the Buck plant?

jb4570

JB,
Joe indicated that they originally had 500 of the 531's made for BCCI in 1991 and didn't sell all of them. They were scratching their heads trying to figure out how to sell the remaining and Joe or someone came up with the idea of the current offer. The sign in the store said they had about 20 left. If you're interested I'd call the store and ask. Regarding the tour...it confirmed the level of commitment that Buck employees have in the quality of their work as well as the fact that it appears to be a well run organization. The process is basically what I expected, but in areas like the custom knife section, the skill level was obvious and an eye opener. These are skills that would take time to master. I was very impressed. The custom knife area was one that was not on the regular tour, but Joe was kind enough to take us through.
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the info. I envy your close proximity to the plant; I’d like to take the tour. Maybe I’ll attend the next BCCI meeting/club tour!!!

Jb4570

I got to tour the California plant before they moved. It was a very cool experience that I highly recommend. I'll definitely stop by if I'm ever in Idaho.

Sounds like a fantastic trip for you and the Mrs..I know I'm looking forward to a trip to Idaho for the tour:D

Cool Deal Mike!!!!

I still say they should have moved to Texas! :cool:

Thank you for the info Mike! I have to get out there!
Jim

Mike Kerins said:
I just thought I'd let everyone know my wife and I just returned from a trip over to the Buck factory in Post Falls...

I don't know...Your wife will probably want her quid pro quo... :rolleyes:

An opera...a ballet...maybe even a symphony orchestra... :D

Did you take any pics??? Even of the outside??? I fear I will probably never get that far West...It'd be nice to see what it looks like... ;)

Glad you had a good time Mike! It was nice to meet you and your wife. I enjoyed showing you around the plant.
Anytime anyone else shows up, and I am not out playing hooky chasing elk around, I would be happy to extend the same treatment. We call this the DEE LUX tour!
FYI, the free membership offer is good while it lasts.

...Looks like a "plumped-up" version of the 532 Trax...Just a bit longer and a tiny bit wider...He sure does have a buncha Bucks doesn't he?...I have all of his knives copied just so I can find out what something I'm not familiar with looks like...I've also seen him sell a few on the "Bay" ...not many tho...

Joe Houser said:
Glad you had a good time Mike! It was nice to meet you and your wife. I enjoyed showing you around the plant.
Anytime anyone else shows up, and I am not out playing hooky chasing elk around, I would be happy to extend the same treatment. We call this the DEE LUX tour!
FYI, the free membership offer is good while it lasts.
I am trying to do the free membership offer. I called the Buck store and held for 75 minutes. I went from 2 callers ahead of me to next caller but never got any further. I guess I will try them again Saturday morning.

chickentrax said:
I don't know...Your wife will probably want her quid pro quo... :rolleyes:

An opera...a ballet...maybe even a symphony orchestra... :D

Did you take any pics??? Even of the outside??? I fear I will probably never get that far West...It'd be nice to see what it looks like... ;)
Trax,
They don;'t allow pictures to be taken on the factory floor but I did take some photos of the outside, lobby and in the museum. I'll try to get the photos up tomorrow.
Mike

Mike Kerins said:
Trax,
They don;'t allow pictures to be taken on the factory floor but I did take some photos of the outside, lobby and in the museum. I'll try to get the photos up tomorrow.
Mike
thanks mike pictures would be appreciated for those of us that didnt get to go
i would guess it was a well filled day seeing how everything comes together but how you got out of there with just a couple though ill never know :D :D

and a good job to joe houser too its nice to know the buck team is on the job right down to the personal tour :thumbup:

Here are a couple of photos from our trip to the Buck factory. The shots were limited due to my lack of control over the camera. :eek:

These display cases wrap around the entire mezzanine above the lobby creating the museum. Ignore the ugly guy standing to the right.

The front door of the facility

The large sign at the entrance

My better half overlooking the lobby (great looking chandelier)

I apologize for the lack of more photos, but hey, if I took more you wouldn't have to go see it for yourselves! :D

:thumbup: ...Nice pics Mike, thanks for taking them and for taking the time to allow us all to see 'em...Buck has a great looking facility in Idaho...goes with their product I'd say...In my opinion, Mike...that lady coulda done a LOT better than you ya know...:eek: ...:p ...LMBO...Thanks again...

I think I am having hot flashes.... who says guys cant have those... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back