Buck Selkirk landed today.

Btw I always love all the "made in China" haters that claim they won't buy foreign knives, yet you know if they are truly knife addicts they have some Spyderco's and a Cold steel or two. Look, it's not the place it's made, but the QC once they get here. Grow up, it's not the 80's anymore. The Chinese make EVERYTHING we use these days. Claiming to only buy made in USA is like claiming to be Vegan while eating a hamburger. I like to buy USA whenever possible, but when I see a product as nice as this it doesn't matter where it's made as long as it's good.

Grow up, it's not the 80's anymore. The Chinese make EVERYTHING we use these days.

Some things are unavoidable, but not knives, so I prefer USA made when it comes to knives. Oh and I refuse to grow up. :p

So got mine today. Love it, but just a couple nit-picks. Fit and finish aren't what I would expect on a $50 knife, could be a little nicer. Also the micarta is a little slick, might have to do some course sanding before it's out to hard use. Other than that, great knife and sheath combo. As an entry level bushcraft/survival knife I'll gladly take it over any of the Bear Grylls or Les Stroud license stuff any day.

One more observation on the selkirk. I believe there has been a slight design change since it's roll-out. Originally in the demo images and the OP's pic the firestarter choil goes up higher and then arcs down to start the edge. On mine (and bladehq's image) the choil does not arc above the blade and instead just forms a radius from the bolster to the edge. All the newer pics look like this. I wonder if they had issues with the design or were cutting costs? It doesn't make a difference to the performance, but the higher choil made the blade look a little wider. I still love it, but I wanted to share my observations.

I really, really wanted to like this knife. I ordered a Gerber Strongarm from Bladehq and a Selkirk through Amazon. Placing one on top of the other they are nearly identical in blade shape and overall length. I didn't like the Selkirk for two reasons, to me I didn't like the slick grip and the angle of the grip just did not fit my hand. Had the grip been a little longer it would have been fine. Absolutely love the look of the Selkirk but I sent it back. The Gerber feels Great in the hand. I'm looking forward to using it this summer. Jerry J.

One more observation on the selkirk. I believe there has been a slight design change since it's roll-out. Originally in the demo images and the OP's pic the firestarter choil goes up higher and then arcs down to start the edge. On mine (and bladehq's image) the choil does not arc above the blade and instead just forms a radius from the bolster to the edge. All the newer pics look like this. I wonder if they had issues with the design or were cutting costs? It doesn't make a difference to the performance, but the higher choil made the blade look a little wider. I still love it, but I wanted to share my observations.

The change in the choil design is an interesting observation. GPKnives just put up a sample for sale and the image they show is the original choil design. From the Youtube videos at Shot Show the original choil design was actually a purposeful design so that the firesteel could be used there while keeping the edge downward for safety to protect the user. I think a change to a simple radius like on the BladeHQ picture would be a step backwards.

Some things are unavoidable, but not knives, so I prefer USA made when it comes to knives. Oh and I refuse to grow up. :p

Totally agree. I have a couple of modern folders made in Taiwan and they are OK but to me, Buck means USA. I'm with TAH all the way.

Btw I always love all the "made in China" haters that claim they won't buy foreign knives, yet you know if they are truly knife addicts they have some Spyderco's and a Cold steel or two. Look, it's not the place it's made, but the QC once they get here. Grow up, it's not the 80's anymore. The Chinese make EVERYTHING we use these days. Claiming to only buy made in USA is like claiming to be Vegan while eating a hamburger. I like to buy USA whenever possible, but when I see a product as nice as this it doesn't matter where it's made as long as it's good.

The thing with Spydercos and Cold Steel knives, is really, just about any knife manufacturer in the world could design those things. They're almost entirely modern designs that have no deep traditional roots anywhere.

Buck has been, up to recently, primarily known for its traditional knives. The 110 and 112. The 100 series, the 300 series, the 500 series. These traditional designs are deeply rooted in the US (and have links back to Europe).

When I buy a traditional knife, I'm buying a brand that is associated with the history and culture that produced that tradition.

Would you rather buy a Victorinox made in Switzerland or one made in the Ukraine?
Would you rather buy a Mora made in Sweden or one made in Ireland?
Would you rather buy an Opinel made in France or one made in Morocco?

I get really bummed when I see traditional brands that die off and the name alone survives as a label put on stuff imported from anywhere. Marbles, Schrade.... ugg. And I get bummed when I see Buck doing it to themselves.

Let me put it this way... If Buck can't be loyal to the tradition, why should I be loyal to Buck?

The Buck 100 series of fixed blade is just awesome. They should take the Selkirk blade, put it in a 100 series handle and make in the US. That would be a knife I'd be interested in.

IMO, there's just nothing "Buck" about the Selkirk. It doesn't look like a Buck and it's not made in the US. You could erase Buck from the tang and stamp in Schrade or Rough Rider or just about any other name you want.

The thing with Spydercos and Cold Steel knives, is really, just about any knife manufacturer in the world could design those things. They're almost entirely modern designs that have no deep traditional roots anywhere.

Buck has been, up to recently, primarily known for its traditional knives. The 110 and 112. The 100 series, the 300 series, the 500 series. These traditional designs are deeply rooted in the US (and have links back to Europe).

When I buy a traditional knife, I'm buying a brand that is associated with the history and culture that produced that tradition.

Would you rather buy a Victorinox made in Switzerland or one made in the Ukraine?

I get really bummed when I see traditional brands that die off and the name alone survives as a label put on stuff imported from anywhere. Marbles, Schrade.... ugg. And I get bummed when I see Buck doing it to themselves.

Let me put it this way... If Buck can't be loyal to the tradition, why should I be loyal to Buck?

The Buck 100 series of fixed blade is just awesome. They should take the Selkirk blade, put it in a 100 series handle and make in the US. That would be a knife I'd be interested in.

IMO, there's just nothing "Buck" about the Selkirk. It doesn't look like a Buck and it's not made in the US. You could erase Buck from the tang and stamp in Schrade or Rough Rider or just about any other name you want.

Excellent post, pinnah. :thumbup:

Nice review Bear Claw Chris Lappe!

As for the choil, this post peaked our curiosity so we headed to the warehouse to check our most recent batch. Rolling changes happen frequently so we try to stay on top of proper images. A check of the recently received batch, all dated in May/15, exhibits the original choil design as pictured. It's interesting to see two variations out on the market, but they could be trying to get some production variables hammered out as this is a brand new item. Good catch guys!

The change in the choil design is an interesting observation. GPKnives just put up a sample for sale and the image they show is the original choil design. From the Youtube videos at Shot Show the original choil design was actually a purposeful design so that the firesteel could be used there while keeping the edge downward for safety to protect the user. I think a change to a simple radius like on the BladeHQ picture would be a step backwards.

I don't mind made in Taiwan or Japan, Korea, or even VietNam. I can't dodge made in china but given a choice I will. The thing about China is the stink of Tianemem Square and lots of other stuff as they hack our computers and steal our ideas. I'd buy this blade, but there are some made in Taiwan by Schrade that I'd prefer.
As far as being a classic, if it was made in America then I'd call it such, call it foolish patriotism but then the SAK I carry is made in Switzerland so I digress.

Regardless of where it is made, it is a Buck, with the same warranty/guarantee as the US made knives. If you buy this knife, or any of the Chinese made Buck's for that matter, you are still supporting Buck.

I'll support them by sticking with they're American made stuff. If I can't find what I want I go somewhere else. If buck moved their Chinese operation somewhere else, it wouldn't be an issue.

Very well written. Hit it right on the head, especially about making a bushcraft knife with the classic black handles of the 100 series. I believe they would sell alot of those.

Why on earth would I care about what name was on my knife rather than how it performed? Made by Schrade or Rough Rider or whomever if it was the same it would still be a good knife and I would still buy it. Brand loyalty does not help consumers in the least, give me a good knife with good performance at the right price and you can make it wherever you like.

Back