Buck shield on Camillus contract knives

bertl

Gold Member
I posted an observation on the Buck forum, but I think that this might be the place, if anywhere is, to get some information. When Camillus made the 300 Series knives for Buck, it used the familiar hammer, knife and bolt logo on the shield. Every model in the series, except the 305 model, had a hammer with a tapered handle and an open end. The 305 logo had a hammer that was not tapered and had a closed end. One explanation might be that since the 305 is a very small knife, the design needed to be changed. My questions for the Camillus people are: 1) Did Camillus design the logo? 2) Were the shields made and stamped in-house or was that subcontracted? 3) Did Camillus have any input into the shield or did Camillus just take what was supplied? 3) Is there any reason that the 305 model is different from all the others?

It probably would have been better to ask these questions 30 years or so ago? Take a look at the photos. The 305 is the first photo and a 303 is the second.

Bert

305 Camillus shield 1.jpg1. Camillus 1971-74 (#65) 2 (1).jpg

I did not start at Camillus until 1979, so most of this set up work was done.
I can say all these shields were stamped in house.
I would guess the logo design was from the customer (Buck).

It might just be the photo, but it appears that the knife used on the 305 is a Model 118 and the knife on the 303 is a Model 102. True?

Last edited:
TAH,

You must have better eyes and imagination than I.

Bert

Last edited:
TAH,

You must have better eyes and imagination that I.

Bert

Better eyes? Maybe. Imagination? No. I don't think I'm imagining it.

The knives are different. The knife, on the 305 shield, has an upswept blade like the 118 and doesn't have finger grooves. I examined my 301 and 309 (which have the same shield as your 303) with a magnifying glass and the knife in actually a 105, not 102.

This would be a fun conversation over on the Buck forum. :)

Back