Bug out bag

I think everybody's situation is going to be a little different depending on their location. I think there's merit in avoiding the uber-tactical set ups, but I also wouldn't want a bright red pack which also stands out too much unless you're in need of rescue.

CCMI gives a great solution with a commercial pack cover. I think a drab colored commercial pack would also be a good solution. Several quality packs have muted greens and browns in them. You always want the option to stand out for signaling purposes but you could pack a VS17 signal panel, flashlight/strobe or other marking options, but for the onset, low profile would be preferable.

Being overlooked is always a good thing when you're trying to get through an area. You want that low profile look but you also need to remain alert and aware of your surroundings...every crisis will have low-lifes surface, gangs getting aggressive, irrational people hell bent on theft or just property damage. You also don't want to attract too much attention from local authorities who will most likely be on edge.

I'm in the military, but if I'm not engaged in a mission, I really don't want to be seen in full uniform if I can help it. It makes me a target in a few different ways, but unless I have a unit support structure and mission, I too would need to keep a low profile for evacuation.

ROCK6

First of all, I think everyone needs to do a personal risk assessment. That should go without saying but it has to be said. :cool:

I think a lot of the talk about not wanting to be "targeted" by the criminal element during a crisis is valid until it comes to nylon gear with MOLLE/PALS on it, then it falls apart.

I have read where people basically have assault vests that they are going to break out in some suburban or urban area when whatever disaster they envision happens. Bristling with rifle magazines and a drop-down SAS holster for their handgun as well. Those people don't have to worry about the criminal element, they have to worry about being targeted by National Guardsmen and the Police. It's demonstrably stupid to plan to evacuate in that manner.

There are some pieces of luggage that cost more than the high-end Kifaru packs and others like it and to think that the criminal element won't target those people is manufacturing some sort of crisis against MOLLE webbing that doesn't exist. In fact, the criminal element will probably target them first because nothing screams "valuables" like high-end luggage and nice clothes.

If you are targeted because you have some type of military gear or something, it's quite likely you will just be ambushed instead of interviewed and attacked. Bushwacked is more like it, actually. It is a myth that all criminals are stupid or cowardly - they're not. But they are more likely to be interested in a woman's jewels that might be contained in high-end luggage than they are ferrocerium rods and other survival gear that you might have in your MOLLE-infested nylon gear.

Of those that are looking for easier targets, you are probably safer with the military looking gear because they are probably going to think you are armed and they will look for easier pickings elsewhere. As long as you don't look like the bank robbers in the movie "Heat," you are probably going to be all right with Guardsmen and Police Officers, too.

Criminals go to department stores and they have a better idea of the value of high-end luggage than a lot of the stuff we are interested in. If you have enough money to have a $250.00 - 600.00 suitcase, just what do you have of value in it? That would be the question. Look at the value of precious metals now, you're talking about a situation where the inherent value of some Figaro, Rope or Herringbone chains is between $750.00 - $2,500.00 and they are easy to offload at pawn shops, etc. THAT is what is going to be targeted by the criminal element. "Luggage" equals "money" and "valuables" to these types of people. I don't think they're much concerned with the MREs and Dinty Moore Beef Stew during a short-duration event and "MOLLE" is either going to be viewed as "armed" or as "outdoors gear" or "food."

People have to move away from the pack mentality of calling people "poseurs" and "mall ninjas" and "wannabes," it's stupid. The whole "Tacti-cool" thing was amusing for five minutes a few years ago, too.

It's like saying if you own a Glock-17, you're a "Cop wannabe." It's absurd. There are immature people and just plain lunatrons interested in this stuff but to automatically assume that because of a piece of gear a person has some fantasy going on is just so very "Internet" and equally stupid.

I don't particularly care for the fact that my main pack is made by a company called "Spec-Ops Gear" for this very reason. I have it because it fits a need. I have some "Tactical Tailor" gear for the same reason. "Maxpedition" seems to be a combination of "Maximum" and "Expedition," but just because you own some of that company's stuff doesn't mean you are some type of "Mt. Everest wannabe."

Buy what you need, let the chips fall where they may.

Devil's advocate...if you look like you look like a hard target they will move on to someone/something easier...tactical backpacks and gear might not be a bad option.

there are sooo many "tactical" looking packs out there these days,
I doubt anyone would even notice.
Unless you have all kinds of pouches,equipment mollied on
I think you would just blend in.
Maybe a few well worn distractors would
further throw off any suspicions,

Hzkh.jpg

tombstone-stage-coach-patch.jpg

Zoo+Crew+Patch+DOP.jpg

get an army duffle bag, huge and solid and lots of folks got em. what are yall planning to find when you get out of the city? just gonna be more country folks with more guns.

Duffle bag to me says Clothing. Molle bag to me says expensive tech. A Quicksilver style boarders rucksack screams "soft target with pockets chock full o cash and little worldly experience". Not to be offensive about it but, thats how it is. The old saying of dont judge a book by its cover isnt applicable really when bags are concerned, they are tools and you will be able to determine how good a selection of the contents are by the quality of the casing. A criminal mindset perhaps...though noone has mentioned traditional Leather knapsacks yet.

Also I agree with the principles of using colour psychology. Neutral earthy tones work well and dont cause an enviromental ambiance of Alarm like Blaze Orange or other High Vis/Mountain saftey palettes do. Spray painting your pack on the fly is always a possibility and works best when you have man made fibres with a neutral base..again back to the earthy/sandy coyote brown tones.

Last edited:
If you are bugging out last minute with the sheeple... if it was something you saw coming... then you're a sheep. Not saying that to be mean but to say, if you see a bug out coming go before the rest need to, and if you don't see it coming I think everyone will be too panicked at the time of event to care. After the event you might have issues but that's when you should already be at a preplanned location or mostly there, right? If you are suddenly in the mix with shady cats eyeing bags you're in a bad place nomater what kind of bag you have. Not 100% but lifes not either, suffice to say I like my tactical lookin bag and i'm not worried about it drawing undue attention. Looters or zombies...

It's all great but if it's in your car when something evil befalls your building, or worse, it's at home when disaster strikes, you're screwed. Must have something, even if small with first aid, multi-tool, a good knife, and some foodstuffs, if you can't carry the all-out BOB with you at all times.

Back