Bush Operator-II

Mistwalker

Gold Member
There is a little bit of a back story behind this one. It's not of one my designs per se, but it is one I had a hand in. Back in 2013 I was getting some emails from friends in the sand box who were complaining about being limited to knives with 4 inch blades or less, and asking my opinion on getting them. I thought for a while about the options I knew of in that size range, gave them some advice, and then I called Dylan to talk to him about it. In a nut shell, told him if that if they were going to be thus limited, that I thought he should make a bad ass knife in that size range as an option. Then we discussed all of the uses it would need to perform and do well in from: making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the field. to cutting cord, rope, and cammo netting in the dark. From processing game to serving in a defensive role in close quarters. It would need a simple way to have multiple carry options for belt carry, molle wear, and discrete carry. It would need to not take up a lot of real estate on an already heavy and complex combat load out. It would need to be secure enough so as to be suitable for inverted carry with no concern about it coming out until needed. It would need to function well in multiple holds and grips for the multiple types of use. It would need to be light but tough and low maintenance. it would need excellent cutting geometry and ergonomics both of which Dylan is a master at. But it also needed to be ergonomic with builtin mechanical advantages for specific holds and uses, and excellent balance, other areas he has a great grasp on as well.

In a pretty short period of time, Dylan had nailed the design as far as I could see. He went through a couple of variants with me making suggestions of what I would want in the model personally. The concept was my idea, but the design and execution were all Dylan. The man is extremely talented, and he understands a lot of the physics behind some knife use concepts that many would rather shy away from. Not that I blame them any...that territory isn't for everyone. It takes a certain mind-set, and a certain amount of darkness to be ok with making a knife from this particular perspective.

Due to circumstance it took a couple of years to both see and be able to afford the configuration, steel type, handle material, and blade geometry that I personally wanted, but by damn it was most certainly worth the wait. I picked this one up from Bladeco USA, who happens to be a dealer on the "Paid Dealer" members list here on Blade Forums.

Very nicely done Dylan!

These are the initial and in-hand shots of the BO-II. In-use photos to be added in as soon as I can do it.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

6_1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

Last edited:
That's an impressive looking blade Mist! Are these gonna be a regular knife for Dylan or was it just a limited run?

Back