Busse Combat Smatchet !!! . . . Coming This Wednesday, April 24, 2024, at 9:00 PM Eastern . . .

Jerry Busse

Busse Combat Smatchet Coming This Wednesday, April 24, 2024, at 9:00 PM Eastern . . .

Busse Combat Proudly Updates The Legendary Smatchet of WW2 Fame.

The Busse Combat Smatchet is being offered in both a single-edged and a double-edged (Band Breaker) version.

The deep dish hollow bevel along the spine sports an intentionally thick, unground edge for batoning if unsharpened, or it can be brought to a steep, hand-ground edge for use as a bone and band-breaker.

In either configuration, when coupled with the powerful primary flat bevel, the spine bevel aids in both penetration and improved balance.

The skull-crusher (pommel) is designed for devastating back blows!

With a blade length of approx. 9 inches and a blade width of approx. 2.85" at the widest point, the Busse Combat Smatchet is a devastating weapon designed for close-quarters combat.

This fine-edged blade was designed for the battlefield and looks forward to whatever engagements it might incur.

Let's Drink!

Jerry

Specs:
Overall Length: Approx. 14.5"
Blade Length: Approx. 9"
Blade Width At Widest Point: 2.85"
Blade Thickness: Approx. .200”
Blade Steel: INFI
Hardness: 58-60 Rc
Bevel: Flat Saber
Blade Finish Options: Coated, Stonewashed*, or Comp*
*(Light machining marks may be visible)
Handle: Canvas Micarta or G-10

Blade Coating Options:
Black
Sage
Muddy Brown
Midnight Blue
Forest Green
Hammered Silver
Desert Bronze

Handle Options:
Black Canvas
Tan Canvas
Green Canvas
Black G-10 +$55
Tan and Black G-10 +$80
Green and Black G-10 +$80
Red and Black G-10 +$80
Blue and Black G-10 +$80
Orange and Black G-10 +$80
Nuclear Option Handle +$95

The Nuclear Option:

The Nuclear Option is not for the faint of heart but rather for those bacon-loving HOGs who do not fear the unknown!!!

The Nuclear option on the Smatchet is a grab bag of sorts. You will receive a randomly selected handle from a pile of Nuclear Castoffs.
This pile of handles has many hand-laminated G10 and Micarta slabs as well as some solid colors not normally offered!
This option does not allow you to choose your handle!!!! . . . You do not get A CHOICE! You will get whatever you get by the blind luck of the draw! It is a veritable PORKpourri of oddball handle materials! The Nuclear Option will also include the Busse Custom Shop logo.

Nobody likes whine with their bacon, so we have implemented a "No returns/No whine clause"!
There are no returns on the Nuclear Option. . . .

So, you can either play it safe or you can go where only the bravest of HOGs have gone before. . . . to PORKpourri and beyond!!!!!

Pricing:
Coated Base Price = $597.00
Stonewashed Base Price = $627.00
Comp Base Price = $667.00

Hand-Ground, Band-Breaker Edge: +$35

Smatchet Double Edge Stonewashed
smatchet stonewashed with top edge.jpg

Smatchet Coated Single Edge
smatchet coated Single Edge.jpg

Smatchet Coated Double Edge
smatchet coated with top edge.jpg

Smatchet With Comp Finish and Single Edge
smatchet comp single edge 2.jpg

Smatchet Comp Finish Double Edge In Hand
in hand smatchet 1.jpg

Sexy! I don't know why but I wanna name it Big Bertha.

What is the band breaker edge? The double edge? Or something different?

Sexy! I don't know why but I wanna name it Big Bertha.

What is the band breaker edge? The double edge? Or something different?

I think the band breaker is the sharpened back edge, probably pretty obtuse for rougger uses, like breaking crate bands or something like that.

That's how I'm reading it at least.

I love it when Jerry pushes the envelope with new designs, but the handle choice is a miss in my view - I don’t understand how it compliments the blade profile.

I also don’t want to come across to the Busse team as negative (I’m just a little salty as I was really looking forward to this one ;)). If folks love it though then awesome, and I hope it sells like crazy!

Trying to decide if it looks MEANER or just... ODD with the edges not coming together at the centerline of the ... weapon.
Nevertheless... I'm kinda thinking that the double-edge version in stonewash just might be in my future..... in micarta of course. Oh, maroon, maroon micarta, where have you disappeard to?

This will definitely be a challenge but I think I can manage to sheath it .
LOL.... that may be the best thing I've read all day.

I love it when Jerry pushes the envelope with new designs, but the handle choice is a miss in my view - I don’t understand how it compliments the blade profile.

I also don’t want to come across to the Busse team as negative (I’m just a little salty as I was really looking forward to this one ;)). If folks love it though then awesome, and I hope it sells like crazy!
I'm ... not understanding where you're coming from here. Not challenging... just ... engaging in discourse. It seems to me that at least a symmetric grip is appropriate to the blade design of a smatchet. Or are you saying just a different shape? Pommel?

Just curious.

This thing is actually pretty sick.
At first I thought it was ugly af. Imagine it as a weapon and it's pretty enticing.. Just a lil pricey..

Well, I was looking forward to the Busse smatchet for ages, and now it is here.
I am trying to convince myself that it is the beauty I was waiting for- but it does not work. There were so many wonderful designs posted here, and now this????
I am so sorry, but this knife is simply ugly.

Looks like they took the blade from #17 of the designs, and married it with sort of the handle from #19... but with a skull-crusher type pommel. Not bad.

LOL.... that may be the best thing I've read all day.

I'm ... not understanding where you're coming from here. Not challenging... just ... engaging in discourse. It seems to me that at least a symmetric grip is appropriate to the blade design of a smatchet. Or are you saying just a different shape? Pommel?

Just curious.
Yep discourse is great. I see the pommel as worse than useless (injury hazard), being sharp and pointy for a tool like this. The total symmetry of the handle and its angular design I don’t think marries well with the flowy, not totally symmetrical blade profile.

So overall I think it’s visually off with the handle characteristics, and functionally disappointing with that pommel.

Back