Recommendation? Busse storage - heat treat question.

Well, one of my work is heat treating high alloy blades for knife makers and I have heat treated hundreds of blade with over 20 different knife steel just in the previous year.

So I think as a knife maker you should know that once you go above tempering temp, the properties of steel will be changed. it's not about curie point at all. I do agree about "You could Hardly ruin a Properly Heat Treated Blade by leaving it in a Vehicle." part tho.
For knife owners its part of the knowledge to understand that a knife blade properly heat treated and left in a vehicle will not be affected by heat. The purpose of showing the Curie Point is to show how High steel is taken to start Transformation during heat treating and the heat in the vehicle will never reach those temperatures...the low side of tempering is 300F and it would surprise me if a cars interior reaches that temp. The OP's Question was about Heat and possible damage to heat treat if left in a HOT Vehicle.

From Jerry

As for INFI and temperature extremes, it is amazing. INFI is tempered at nearly 950 degrees. It does not begin to lose any significant hardness until it is held above 1050 degrees for a considerable amount of time. I have to believe that it would need to be extremely mishandled in order to do any noticeable damage..

it is amazing. INFI is tempered at nearly 950 degrees.

This got me to thinking(smell the wood burning)....It's been Noted in steel heat treat Data Sheets that HIGHER Tempering "Temps" tend to Lower Corrosion Resistance....Jerry is doing something Magical because we all know how Corrosion Resistant INFI is for Non-Stainless Steel:cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lived in Arizona for about 20 years and Blythe Cali for 25 (hotter than AZ)
Kydex in the light under a window = badbad kydex deforms around 250 starts to get soft a little before that if it is sustained for long.
No effect to INFI or RES C. On any of my Busse knives, and they have Been on the dash in summer. Hard to hold but no structural or heat treat damage in my experience at all.

Hope that helps

not speculation real world experience.
Blythe - dear god, you have more fortitude than I. Especially with that Quartsite yard sale every however often.

I live in Arizona too, and used to keep a SY regulator in my truck all the time. No problem with the Res-C or steel but the kydex sheath became loose sitting in my truck with the knife in it in the summers.

It's an Azwelke taco sheath and I was able to tighten the sheath back up by heating it but now I keep it in my bag that I take out with me.

Back