Bust the tip on my Formite Military!

I was using the knife to cut some plastic cable ties inside a computer at work... I used a gentle prying motion to slice the tie without cutting the power cables underneath. The knife worked a treat and then about 20 seconds later I looked at the knife to see a strangly squared off tip!:(

About 2mm or so of the tip had snapped clean away! Several resharpenings have improved matters a fair bit but I was quite surprised to see this happen.

I was using a rocking motion back and forth and was using light/medium pressure all the while.

This is not a complaint and the knife has otherwise been great, just watch those tips people! :eek:

Bummer, but then the ONLY knife that I'd ever use as a prybar would BE a prybar...

For that job, I always use my Rescue Jr. or the sheepsfoot on my Leatherman Wave. The blunt tip is nice because I can turn the knife upside down and wiggle it between the cables without puncturing anything. A tug with the serrated edge will usually pop the tie right off.

I do not think cutting cable ties inside a computer is prying. Prying is not the proper word to use when the blade edge is against the material being cut. You snapped this with one hand on the knife only exerting pressure? Sounds a little brittle to me. If you cant cut cable ties what could you cut with it? Lots of stories over the years about snapping tips on the military. Wonder if its the tip or CPM440V that comes out brittle way too often. I save mine for kitchen duties. It also comes unlocked when twisted in the hand. Not that the lock gives, but my hand catches on it, releasing it. Nothing is wrong with the knife either. Its just my grip and the lock design. Either way, i dont trust it. My least favorite spyderco, but a great slicer on food. Like the blade shape though as well as size and weight. Maybe they could recess the lock a little more and make the blade VG-10. The actual concept is great. I wont hold my breath on the mod's for now.

Hi General. That shouldn't have happened. I would love to test the piece, but you are too far away. Perhaps some day in the future, we'll find a simpler way to transport pieces like we transport ideas on the forums.

CPM-440V will take a certain amount of prying with no difficulty, unless the steel is too hard. We'll be converting the Military to CPM-S30V in the future.

sal

Thanks for the feedback Sal. As I said, not really a complaint from me, just perhaps a weaker tip than I thought? But as you think it aught not to have happened I would be willing to return it if you replace it with a S30V blade?;)

Seriously though, if you want to take a further look at it (not much to see now as it is mostly sharpened out) I would be willing to return for further testing. Cost be damned if its a faulty blade, I would prefer to return it, and if not, well I better be more careful in future or use M2 or somerthing!

General, you might want to consider the Spyderco Wegner as a replacement for the Military (i.e., if you can still find one). The Wegner has a sturdier tip than the Military and is an all around great cutting tool. I like the combo edge (50/50 plain/serrated).

Originally posted by toothed
General, you might want to consider the Spyderco Wegner as a replacement for the Military (i.e., if you can still find one). The Wegner has a sturdier tip than the Military and is an all around great cutting tool. I like the combo edge (50/50 plain/serrated).

I replaced my Military with a Wegener for just this reason. I really liked the large Spydie hole, flat grind and nested liner lock, as well as the light wieght and great handle design, but there is just too much distal taper for a hard use knife.
I switched to the Wegner and the balde is much more durable. I just wish it had a full flat grind.

Chad

Hello my General,

it happens once with one of our militaries.
But since all the Militaries (many many..) we have abused just have been perfect in their role and kept their tips.

You should send it back to Sal like we did with our sole piece.
This kind of anomalies are rare but can happen.

CPM440V is stil a "magical" steel...

Cheers,

JM

Back