Buying a T.V and streaming service. Recommendations.

Prior to my 32" Samsung Smart TV, I had a LG and I was not satisfied with it at all. There was a problem with the remote and it was not the remote as I bought a new one.... it was "in" the TV. Ditched the TV.

Here’s another vote for the smart TV. (I don’t know what you will find in your price range.) I like to shop at Costco, and someone gave me a nice one from there as a gift. They have good warranties and good customer service IMO, and good sales/prices.

I’ve ordered electronics from them online and been pleased.

With the smart TV, you may have more versatility.

Someone mentioned to me they had a NOT Smart tv with a jailbroken firestick.
I have no idea what that is. But was told they were happy with it.

Opinions?

So they have a plain TV no built in smart technology and they are using an Amazon FireStick that has been "jail broken" which means hacked to do things originally outside of its scope or blocked either for security or copyright reasons. "Jail breaking" a device will also null any warranty it may have had. My view is that while in the early days of smart phones, it started there, jail breaking had some functional purpose as there wasn't an app for everything yet. Today there is an app for everything, unless it is illegal, so there isn't as much need to do it these days. I generally view jailbreaking these days as a sign that a person is doing something they shouldn't for a device like this it likely means they are using the device to stream pirated content.

Thanks Pirate For the explanation.
Wow there are so many TV,s to consider from less than a hundred bux to however much you want to spend. Just in a 32 inch model.
Its overwhelming to me.
Likely I will go to a store and buy whatever is on sale due to budget restrictions.

One thing to note too if you buy a less expensive TV dumb or smart you can usually pick up a Roku, FireStick, or other such smart device later for ~$50 or less last I checked to expand some of your content options depending on what route you go.

This is something I'm exploring as well. I want to get away from Directv's expensive bill. We have Prime, Netflix (already using it with DTV) and just signed up for a free Hulu Live Trial. Hulu Live came with more recording time and SEC Network for less money. We'll see how it goes.

I use Netflix and Youtube. Had Hulu back in the day, but at the time it was mostly sitcoms and reality shows. Netflix has a lot of interesting documentaries (why oh why did they stop offering the Rockford Files and Columbo?). If you become comfortable with YouTube, you can find many documentaries on that as well. I bought my parents a Roku player, since it was relatively easy to setup and use - simple remote, but searches on Youtube are a pain since there is no keyboard. I use Netflix and YouTube on my phone and broadcast it to my Google Chromecast or to my parents Roku player. My friend had the streaming software directly on his TV (Sony) and I had tried it on my Samsung Blu-Ray player, but it was very clunky and slow to use. I don't think you can broadcast Amazon Prime shows to a Chromecast, so check for compatiblity with whatever player you want to purchase.

Tooo bad I never had kids.
If I had a teen or 20 something around Im sure they could help me out. :)

My girl has netflix and other services on her laptop. If I had it and bought a TV can I cast shows from her laptop to the TV?
Thereby avoiding the need for me to buy streaming services?
If so would it require a smart tv?

I’m no expert, but if she gave you her log on information you could watch Netflix with her subscription. Our household has one subscription and more than one user.

We use a smart TV that has a Netflix app and other apps.

You push a button on the remote and move from the TV screen to a screen covered with apps including Netflix.
You wouldn’t need cable. You would need internet connection.

EDB96277-CA87-47B8-B41B-A778E91B7C28.jpeg Here’s what the screen looks like when you hit the button to see the apps.

The upper left box is the cable TV (which you won’t have) and the rest are the apps that we could theoretically use.

My girl has netflix and other services on her laptop. If I had it and bought a TV can I cast shows from her laptop to the TV?
You would just need to use her login information on the TV and then you can access the service and depending on the tier service you can stream on multiple devices simultaneously.

Got a surprise. My girl bought me a32in smart Sharp tv :).. I havent seen it yet as I am still at work

You have a few options. Netflix allows for two users on their basic account. My father is the second user, so I don't have to get recommendations from his interests and vice versa.

1. If you don't have a smart TV, the simplest and least expensive setup is to purchase an HDMI cable from HD - BB is way overpriced (assuming your TV and latpop bothe use HDMI) and connect the two via HDMI cable.

2. If you don't have an HDMI input on your TV, another option is to purchase the Roku model that has the old cable/antenna output (requires WiFi). You can log onto the Roku's Netflix channel as the second user of the account, or broadcast from her phone or laptop. If youre TV has the HDMI input, just get the regular Roku player.

3. Another option, is to get a Google Chromecast to hook into your TV's HDMI input (requires WiFi) and broadcast Netflix from her phone or laptop.

I've used all three methods (w/ HDMI) and prefer the Roku player option. Additionally, you can broadcast Netflix or YT from your phone to the Roku player, or use the Roku's Netflix or YouTube channel directly.

Got a surprise. My girl bought me a32in smart Sharp tv :).. I havent seen it yet as I am still at work
IIRC the Sharp one is also a Roku TV and I think sold exclusively at Bestbuy and for a good price. I can only guess based on research I have done for my own needs but if you post the model number I can tell you more about it.

Yeah I looked at one of the larger offering the only reason I have backed off on it was the 4K HDR is only on the apps, which I don't know why I care I have nothing else to utilize 4K HDR or even 4K, but yes the picture I saw on the model I looked at was excellent.

Get a smart tv, or at least a rocu box Idk if I spelled it correctly???

Some streaming channels are FREE.

Tubi is a free streaming channel.
It's Actually the most entertaining for movies. I love it.
I grew up in the 70/80's.....

Most of Tubi movies involve topless Large breasted stewardess getting murdered in some late-night murder mystery of of sorts.
Not many commercials

It's Perfect!

........if you are into That sort of thing.

Back