C_tanners pot belly.

I was sent this to etch, and really i was surprised by it. not only does it look great etched but it is really a great woods blade. Its well balance, strong and thick, sharp and has a choil area for choking up. I was pleasantly surprised. I would of course need some new handles but thats an after thought. The hollow grind with an added convex edge make it a wicked chopper while still being nimble enough for small work. I like it alot. anyways without further smoke up your butt, here are the pics and video review.

2012-04-29_21-24-55_21.jpg

2012-04-29_21-25-03_278.jpg

[video=youtube_share;QVeoavWFm0Q]http://youtu.be/QVeoavWFm0Q[/video]

You did good clich. That looks sweet.

Holy crap, that thing is a monster! I'm admiring how easily it chops. The Cliching makes it a totally different blade. You add some nice aftermarket scales, and that baby is ready to go. You lucky SOB, CTanner. That's a hell of a chopper.

Well, this cinches it. Looks like I'm getting a Potbelly for sure.

You guys are horrible! Now I think I need a potbelly! That thing looks sweet!!! Nice work.

Dax

Def. needs micarta for sure. In the meantime, the black scales Greybush donated will look better on it. I had a feeling a pro clich job would look awesome on this, but it turned out even better than I expected!

Wow that thing is the bees knees !!!! 100% bad ass with an etch. And thanks to clich for the great review filmed in his traditional Blair witch fasion. I gotta get me one of these. Any plans on getting a sheath..... And if so moo pants or kydex

I keep tellin' people....The best way to describe the Potbelly is with the "Alien" movies....The Potbelly is what you get when a facehugger impregnates a BK2. After it bursts out of its grivory scales, it quickly grows into a JAB Potbelly. Of course, he convexed the hollow ground edge, so it's more like the Alien Queen now.

(gonna have to school me on how to maintain that edge...I know s*** about convexing!) I'm super stoked!

Wow that thing is the bees knees !!!! 100% bad ass with an etch. And thanks to clich for the great review filmed in his traditional Blair witch fasion. I gotta get me one of these. Any plans on getting a sheath..... And if so moo pants or kydex

Don't know yet. The sheath it came in is pretty damn good. I already modified it by removing one strap, patching it with spare parts from a BK16 sheath, and dying the stupid orange cord black. But this looks so good, I am thinking I should send the extra scales I got to Tommythewho and seeing what he can do, and when funds allow, having skystorm do the sheath. I thing those two would be the best fit to finish this beast off.

I made a video for bmauser daughter about maintaining a convex. Real simple. I did the leg work with getting it there, maintaining is a breeze. Ill get the link and send it to ya. All it takes is some styrofoam, 220, 500, 1000 grit harbor freight sandpaper and a strop.

With a new sheath and handles that's gonna be a great package. I just sent over a 4 to clich, can't freaken wait !!!!

Right listen up, Best thing for maintaining a convex edge is a leather strop and sandpapers, IMO leather has the best density so when your sharpening the pressure your putting into the blade makes it just right rather than rounding the edge to much. About 220, 400 and 1000 grit sandpapers will be enough for regular (if you chip it use 120 or simmilar to remove the chips). Make your own leather strop out of some old leather and a piece of wood and I like to use polishing paste as instead of compound (one polishing paste does the job of 3 differnt compounds). Ask me on facebook if you have any questions.

That's some fantastic work on that JAB! Who knew 1095 would become an artist's canvas?

more pics

2012-04-30_16-43-25_331.jpg

2012-04-30_16-42-03_663.jpg

2012-04-30_16-43-43_284.jpg

2012-04-30_16-44-26_733.jpg

2012-04-30_16-48-20_53.jpg

2012-04-30_16-48-49_61.jpg

The sheath is pretty nice as well. Very functional. Lots of space for a tin or cord or whatever, and also has webbing on the back for lashing to a pack with locks or cord.
2012-04-30_16-42-22_280.jpg

2012-04-30_16-45-43_574.jpg

Ok tanner, now that you can see it in sunlight, i hope your still digging it. So far no return of the reaction so tomorrow shipping looks like a go.

Ok ok. I'm sold. Now I just need to figure out how to sneak the order past the gf. That thing is just a thing of beauty.

Clich....you sir are an artist! How long is the waiting list to get work done? I think I may have something that you might have fun with.

That potbelly sure looks good and it performs just as well! May have to put this knife on the to get list as well.

Clich....you sir are an artist! How long is the waiting list to get work done? I think I may have something that you might have fun with.

That potbelly sure looks good and it performs just as well! May have to put this knife on the to get list as well.

One on the bench and one incoming so I'd say a week tops once it's received depending on the blade. Thanks for the compliments but it was tanners idea I just did what I was told

The Potbelly is the most under-rated Kabar of all time, IMO. I've said it before... You can't even begin to understand how damn good that knife really is until you have one in your hand and put it to work. Choke up on it and it's as nimble as any of the popular 5" outdoor blades I've used, even at 1/4" thick. Use a rear grip on it and the 7" blade chops like a 10" blade. The design is a bit unconventional, but Mr. Johnson got it right.

Back