California hiking - fixed blade for bushcraft or defense

I am no expert at ANYTHING but common sense tells me that if you might need your knife for self defense, I would choose the stabbi-est, stout-est and with a with the grippiest handle. Something that resembles a figthing dagger. That means it wil be less utilitarian but looks like you have a nice inventory of knives you could use for mundane tasks. Seems like the filipino slashing drills are not the way to go when something is clamping on your shoulder, arm or neck. Grab the knife, stab like a sewing machine wherever you can and say your prayers. I would also try to strap it down in your shoulder strap (left if you are right handed).

I also think that you are much more likely to mess up the navigation, water, exposure to elements, etc... than having to fend off a wild creature. So check knives with one eye and use the other to find yourself a nice Garmin GPS!!!

Have fun and report back when you return from your trip!

Don't forget you're Saint Christopher ~ I see you're a fam Saint Michael already ~ there are Mountain Lions in the Hills of Southern California and pretty sure Northern as well ~ there's been numerous sightings and even a few Bears from time to time that have obviously traveled far and wide to make an appearance ~ I like the Bear Spray idea that works on just about any four-legged Predator or Two ~

Vintage_Saint_Christopher_Medallion_Pendant_Old_Touring_Car_Mountains.jpg

Don't forget you're Saint Christopher ~ I see you're a fam Saint Michael already ~ there are Mountain Lions in the Hills of Southern California and pretty sure Northern as well ~ there's been numerous sightings and even a few Bears from time to time that have obviously traveled far and wide to make an appearance ~ I like the Bear Spray idea that works on just about any four-legged Predator or Two ~

That’s so cool!

I think the takeaway message here is that knives and bear spray are fine. But the real protection will come from the Lord, and maybe we can ask the saints to petition it!

Here’s another engraving I designed to illustrate St Paul’s letter to the Ephesians 6:10.

Put on the whole armor of God:

Breastplate of righteousness
belt of truth
Boots that walk toward scripture
Helmet of promised salvation
Shield of faith
Sword of the spirit of prayer
And there’s a cross built into the shield design.

Attachments

• D2566A75-B98C-4CC0-90CD-6408A4D4EC7E.jpeg
    D2566A75-B98C-4CC0-90CD-6408A4D4EC7E.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
That’s so cool!

I think the takeaway message here is that knives and bear spray are fine. But the real protection will come from the Lord, and maybe we can ask the saints to petition it!

Here’s another engraving I designed to illustrate St Paul’s letter to the Ephesians 6:10.

Put on the whole armor of God:

Breastplate of righteousness
belt of truth
Boots that walk toward scripture
Helmet of promised salvation
Shield of faith
Sword of the spirit of prayer
And there’s a cross built into the shield design.

Happy Travels ~

Last edited:

May I ask where you got that medallion? Very cool

May I ask where you got that medallion? Very cool
You can find lot of those in Etsy by searching "vintage st michael pendant". You may need to shovel the crap from the top (advertised fakey vintage jewelry) but patience is the key.

I've spend most of my life in California and I'm very familiar with the natural history of the Central Coast mountains. A knife is probably not going to protect you from a predator that hunts by stalking and ambushing its prey. Fortunately, Cougars don't typically view adult humans as prey. Young children on the other hand can be seen as prey. Your best defense it to travel in groups, keep your young or small children close by and make a lot of noise while walking. Also, sewing fake eyes onto the back of your hat so any lion above you, on the trail or in a tree, thinks it's being watched. Having said that, I still carry a knife while hiking. I also cary a concealed gun whether its legal or not. The most dangerous creatures here are people and the ticks.

Back