California question

Sorry if there is already a thread discussing this, I know that you can carry folders in your pocket as long as they are clipped on, and you can carry fixed blades on your belt in plain sight. But what about sheaths that have clips? For example the Benchmark SOCP, can that be in your pocket as long as its clipped? Sorry if this seems silly.

Please remember to check local and state laws. Carrying a knife in Los Angeles is very different than carrying it elsewhere in the state, for example. LA prefers to have folders not in plain sight (even clipped) and has a length limit. Most everywhere else in the state a folder clipped to your pocket (of any blade length) is just fine. Most places seem to tolerate carrying these type of common tools with common sense approach - e.g. I have seen many people carrying small folders clipped to their pocket in LA, even though it is technically against the rules.

WRT to sheath knives, generally speaking if you carry it in plain view and suspended from your waist (clip or belt loop) you should be fine in most locales.

Mark

And, Los Angeles County and Los Angeles City are two different animals.
I live in L.A. County. Folder concealed is fine, any length so long as it's not an auto.

Double edge is perfectly legal in cali if it's not concealed. Any concealed fixed blade is considered a dagger and that is illegal.

SoCal -

I was under the impression that LA City and County knife ordinances were virtually identical, with the differences being one says LA City and the other LA County.

I'd have to measure them to be sure, but I think I have less than 5 fixed blades out of 3000+ that are LA legal due to length limitations. I have many that are 3.0x" or so, but under 3"?? just a few cutsie little 1940s and 1950s mini-bowies from souvenir shops, most having 3" blades.

In L.A. County, any fixed blade, so long as it's single edge, can be carried open carry on your side. I see this all the time here, especially with our veterans which are many.
Any FOLDER that is not an automatic, can be carried concealed on your person no problem. I've been doing it for years even with Sheriffs asking me what I carry. Automatic knives under 2" blade length in L.A. County are also legal to carry concealed (single edge only).

Los Angeles City I understand has a under 3" blade length restriction on concealed folder carry. Not sure on fixed blades.

Fixed blades concealed are not allowed any length to my understanding in L.A. County.

And, Los Angeles County and Los Angeles City are two different animals.
I live in L.A. County. Folder concealed is fine, any length so long as it's not an auto.

L.A. City actually has pretty much the same ordinances as L.A. County when it comes to knives. SEC. 55.10 of the LA City Municipal Code and Section 13.62.010-020 of the LA County Code both prohibit "plain view" carrying of "knives," which are specifically defined as knives having a blade that's 3" or more in length. LA County actually has a broader definition of "knife" that includes all switchblades (even sub-2" ones), meaning that plain view carry of switchblades is prohibited by the LA County Code but not by the LA City Code (switchblades 2" or over still being prohibited by state law, of course).

In L.A. County, any fixed blade, so long as it's single edge, can be carried open carry on your side.

Actual enforcement may be another matter, but the LA County Code specifically prohibits "plain view" carry of any knife with a blade that's 3" or more in length, fixed or folder. Here is the code section: http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gate...lt.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:la_all_mc$anc=JD_55.10.

Edit: copied and pasted the wrong link above (I had both the city and code codes open in different tabs). Here you go: https://www.municode.com/library/ca...PEMOWE_DIV8WE_CH13.62CAKNPLVI_13.62.010KNDADE

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion. Brancron states that LA COUNTY code prohibits... but then he links to LA City Code. ??? In fact LA City has seperate rules, for example a 3" limit on all knives. BUT LA County has NO limit. The rules are not the same; they are completely different. Don't confuse them. County follows State of CA rules. No limit on folders,any length on fixed, but must be exposed, etc. In all cases a folder can be exposed or concealed as long as it conforms to length limits. Also there is no rule anywhere on double edged blades as long as they conform to length and exposure rules. Read the law.

Like I said..this ^
I've been stopped and questioned by L.A. County Sheriff Deputies as well as City Municipal Police Officers.
They know I have a pocket knife folder on me and can care less. Again, It isnt the knife..It's the person using this tool to do good things or lawless things with it, isn't it?
California, get a clue already would you?!

I respectfully disagree; in fact it is the knife NOT the person. Read the law. No offense, but you've posted incorrect information. The law law ONLY but clearly addresses blade length, exposure rules rules etc. Either you are carrying a legal knife or you are not. And LA City and County are very different. Read the law. In either case, in all cases, it is the knife, not the person. Why you are carrying the knife or how you look is technically no one's business.

Los Angeles County knife laws are the same as Los Angeles Municipal knife laws, only the statute/code numbers are different. It is a violation of both LA County and LA Municipal laws to openly carry any knife with a blade 3 or more inches long in public. However there are exception to these laws, like if you are carrying the knife for "legitimate" purpose like work, camping, fishing, etc, and can prove it.

Here is a link to the official Los Angeles County website- http://www.lacounty.gov

And here is a link that can be found using that website that provides all of La County laws- https://www.municode.com/library/ca/los_angeles_county/code_of_ordinances (type "knife" into the search box at the top of the screen to find the LA county knife laws).

And here are code numbers from the LA county codes- 13.62.010 (how they define a "knife"- a blade 3" or longer)

13.62.020 (what is illegal to do with a "knife" with a blade 3" or longer)

As far as being arrested or stopped/hassled by the cops, there can be several determining factors, like your demeanor/appearance, your location, what you are doing, the attitude of any individual cop who sees the knife, etc, etc.

Thanks Killgar. That's interesting; I was told by local city police, not LA City, but still in LA County that they followed the State Law. I will have to further check this out. Also, the "legitimate purpose" exception is interesting. I guess the key in LA is to carry a knife 3" or less in LA which is what I do.

My point about being arrested or stopped/hassled by the cops was that the law addressing the knife, not the person. If you look like a drug dealer, act like a drug dealer, you might be hassled, even arrested, but my point is you cannot be charged for having a knife if it fits into the legal definition as noted. They need another reason. And frankly, if asked why you have a knife, you are not required to respond if it fits into the legal limits. That said, friendliness and courtesy when interacting with law enforcement usually goes a long way.

I was told by local city police, not LA City, but still in LA County that they followed the State Law. I will have to further check this out.

The city police or any other similar entity should not be relied upon to interpret or advise about the law. The police are involved in enforcement personnel as opposed to prosecutors who determine whether or not to prosecute based on the facts and the judiciary which decides guilt or innocence. I am surprised at the number of posters who assume one should consult law enforcement for guidance as opposed to a competent attorney. As I have noted before such opinions from enforcement personnel are free but you get what you pay for.

There seems to be some confusion. Brancron states that LA COUNTY code prohibits... but then he links to LA City Code. ??? In fact LA City has seperate rules, for example a 3" limit on all knives. BUT LA County has NO limit. The rules are not the same; they are completely different. Don't confuse them. County follows State of CA rules. No limit on folders,any length on fixed, but must be exposed, etc. In all cases a folder can be exposed or concealed as long as it conforms to length limits. Also there is no rule anywhere on double edged blades as long as they conform to length and exposure rules. Read the law.

That was obviously a copy/paste error. In my post directly above the one you're referring to, I cite the LA County Code Section. It is the same as the city code section. You do not know what you're talking about. Read the law.

as i was born in LA,calif and my father was policeman there in LA,downtown +35years,all i can say is just let then no when your stopped! that you have a pocket knife on you,after that probably no problems!they just like knowing these things.:thumbsup:

From the officer's perspective you may be right but there is no obligation for anyone to disclose anything to a law enforcement officer other than which is required by law. For example if one is operating a motor vehicle one must provide a drivers license, registration, insurance, etc. but other than that there is no obligation to tell the law enforcement officer anything. I have a lot of cops who are good friends and one who is my best friend but if I was stopped by any of them I would not say anything other than what I am required to say. If an officer asked me if I was carrying a weapon and I had in my possession a lawfully possessed pocket knife I would either say nothing or "no". If I am placed under arrest I will be searched incident to the arrest anyway and at that point I have no control over the situation and would just let it run its course. Why would anyone volunteer they are in possession of anything which is lawfully possessed especially if they are not under arrest? If arrested one should never say anything anyway, especially after being advised of one's Constitutional rights by virtue of the "Miranda" warning.

None of this is intended to be a disparagement of law enforcement as they have their job to do but at the same time we all have rights protected by the Constitution.

Last edited:
Back