Calling all 530 and 531 owners! How smooth are your handles?

I've been searching for a new EDC that's more work appropriate than my decade old 720S. I've landed on the 530 and 531 as really good options for me and I just picked up a 530 at REI. Unfortunately the plastic is quite rough, like, low grade sandpaper type rough. Plus there are ribs just under the pocket clip that will chew through fabric for sure. Is the 531 any smoother? I can't tell from any of the pictures or youtube reviews I've found.

I own a limited production 520 in carbon fiber and can report it is much easier on pockets due to the smoothness of the scales.

Honestly,(sorry if being a buzzkill) the 530 is my least favorite Benchmade. Yes the handles are pretty slick and are beeeennndable flimsy, blade is way to thin for my liking and just overall just felt weak and cheap. If your looking for a featherlight slicer that you don't plan on putting to much abuse I'd maybe give it a try but for my $ would get something else. If you ain't got 556/555 would say get instead(same price), or spend a little extra money (or more:eek:) and get a Northfork or 943/940. You will not regret any of those models. Everybody has different tastes though and the 530 might be perfect for your needs. The 531 looks pretty sweet ain't gonna lie. But if your gonna spend that much would get the 943 or Northfork instead.

Everybody has different tastes though and the 530 might be perfect for your needs. The 531 looks pretty sweet ain't gonna lie.

Yeah, so I didn't specify up front but this 530 vs 531 question is intentionally specific. I'm looking to fill a very specific niche and the 53x series is perfect. I'm supplementing my existing library. My go-to these days is still my 720S but this 530 is really best described as "my Benchmade Axis locking ultra thin replacement for an Kershaw Leek".

What do I like about the Leek? Metal handle. Ultra smooth and rounded edges (nothing to catch on clothes). I was able to get a $10 deep carry clip for it, too (although the clip isn't perfect).

What don't I like about the Leek? I hate the blade shape - super impractical for my usage (I want a heel, I want combo edge). The build quality is nowhere near a BM. I also really want Axis lock, which is really just because I love it not because it really matters in a thin knife like this (let's be honest, I'm never really going to crank on something this thin to the point where a solid liner-lock would release, but hey, I love my Axis!), and finally I really don't want spring assist.

Best case I'd fine a production 530 type ultra-thin knife with a drop point or bowie style blade (e.g. 531), an aluminum handle, an Axis (or similar), and a price tag <$100 (at least under $200 - I know I can get a collector edition 531 w/titanium but I'm not spending $500 on an EDC).

My original question still stands: how does the 531 handle's smoothness stack up next to a 530?

*Edit: I forgot to mention: overall thickness of the 530 is *perfect* for my current search. I'm fully understanding of the "thickness vs rigidity" tradeoff I'm making. While I'm at it the closed and open sizes for the 530 are also exactly where I want them to be.

Last edited:
Back