Camillus Cartridge Collection

I just bought one out of this series of knives, and I would like to find the rest of the series, probably take me a while, but here's the question. How many knives in this series, and which models are they? The one I bought is CCC-7, the .270 Winchester, a replica of the big old Remington R4243 Camp Bullet Knife. I've seen two more out of this series, a 7mm Mauser toothpick and a .45 Colt Baby Bullet Knife like the Remington R1173. Let me know what I'm searching for please! :)

Those really are great knives, Phil. I'm sure CAMCO will be along to answer this question, I'd like to copy down the answer. Of course by my screen name here, you can guess I have a couple of the 7MM toothpicks, a knife I particularly enjoy giving to good friends who admire my tp collection. It's the CCC-3.
Phil

Until Tom comes along...

I had a camp/utility knife (C-4, I think) with a .30-'06 cartridge. I know there is a .22 Hornet small Lockback.
Textoothpk, didn't you have a .17 Hornady, or am I dreaming that?...maybe not from the Cartridge series, I guess.

Here is a link I borrowed with three of them anyway...

http://www.knivesplus.com/camillus-knife-limited.html

Bill

Yes, Bill, you are right, I have the Hornady .17HMR, and no, the knife is not part of the CCC series. Another of my favorite series of knives-- kinda goes along with my enjoyment of shooting rimfire firearms, is the 'Rimfire' series.

By the way... Phil from Alabama, unless I'm mistaken, you are quite the rimfire shooter yourself

Phil
(Gr8Scout)

00017HRM.jpg

Don't want to hijack the thread...just waiting for Tom.

Camillus can make some nice knives, for sure.

Bill

Dat's me, an old rimfire shooter. :D Camillus makes a huge variety of knives, from $4 painters tools all the way up to those several hundred dollar OVB's. BUT for some reason, there is very little marketing effort made by them, zero advertising, and little visibility. There is only one knife shop within a days drive of my home that even sells any Camillus knives. You can find some Camillus made Remingtons scattered around. Right now I have only four knives built by Camillus, and I WILL be buying more. Thanks guys, appreciate any information on these Cartridge Knives. I know where I can get the .45 Colt knife right now, got to get up to that shop and buy it before it disappears on me.

I've been searching, but I cannot find all the info on what I think were seven different models. CAMCO will be here to answer for us.

Bill... you have exquisite tasts in .22s!

Phil

I'm not Tom, but maybe I can tide you over until he get here.

I caught this particular bug a while back and it took me a while, but I acquired all seven Camillus Classic Cartridge knives. Here's what you are looking for:

1991/CCC-1 -- Large Bullet trapper with 45-70 Gov't cartridge shield
1992/CCC-2 -- "Bush Pilot" style equal end moose/muskrat with 30-30 Winchester cartridge shield
1993/CCC-3 -- Toothpick with 7mm Mauser cartridge shield
1994/CCC-4 -- Large Copperhead Jack with .257 Roberts cartridge shield
1995/CCC-5 -- Baby Bullet Trapper with 45 Long Colt cartridge shield
1996/CCC-6 -- Bullet Tracker lockback with Remington 44 Magnum cartridge shield
1997/CCC-7 -- Camp/Scout with .270 Winchester cartridge shield

Happy hunting!

Hi Bill. You are correct, as usual.

I thought the original question only pertained to the "Camillus Classic Cartridge" Series, which is limited to the seven knives I listed. There are other "cartridge" themed knives though.

For instance, I also have the Camillus "Safari Series" which is only two knives, both large Bullet Trapper patterns, which have wood handles, and cartridge shields. CSS-1 has a 375 H&H Magnum cartridge shield, and CSS-2 has a 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge shield. I've seen other Camillus "Cartridge" knives with delrin handles (like the one at the link you posted) but I wasn't interested and so don't have any.

The "Camillus Classic Cartridge" series, in addition to the cartridge shields, also has a blade etch of the original blueprint drawings of each cartridge, complete with specs. Really cool. The "Camillus Safari Series" has a blade etch of a leapord on CSS-1 and a Cape buffalo on CSS-2. Also pretty cool.

I think the "Camillus Classic Cartridge" Series is the one to collect though, if you're going to be choosy.

Alright! Exactly what I needed to find out. Thanks a LOT! :thumbup: I'm really surprised that the .30-06 cartridge wasn't included in the series. CCC1 is the Remington R1123 replica, CCC2 is either the R4353 or R4466, CCC3 is the R1613BL, CCC5 is the R1173, CCC6 is the R1306, and CCC7 is the R4243. Which old Remington pattern does the CCC3 "copperhead jack" replicate? Now I've really got to have all these knives, these represent some of my very favorite knives ever made. ;)

Phil in Alabama said:
Which old Remington pattern does the CCC3 "copperhead jack" replicate?

I'm not really knowledgable about Remington patterns, as you can tell from my attempts to describe them in my original post. "Large Copperhead Jack" was just my attempt to describe it but it probably isn't accurate.

I'm also not very swift at posting pictures on this forum so here's a link to one being sold on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CCC4-Camillus-C...ryZ43335QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of the seven, this is one of my favorites. You just don't see slipjoint knives this BIG anymore.

Thanks again! I searched E-bay, and found photos of all but CCC2, the .30-30 Muskrat. The CCC4 is a replica of the old R1263 Bullet Knife. I've always loved those old Bullet Knives, but will probably NEVER be able to afford any real originals, and the Remington copies are mostly Delrin plastic instead of bone. Some of the newest Remingtons are the brown bone also though. There's actually a real original R4243 Camp Bullet on there right now, but it's mighty worn. Somebody used 'er for what she was intended for, and wore it down! :eek:

I bought the Camillus Utility knife, with a .30-'06 cartridge shield, directly from the Camillus store...so I know there was one in some series...and I thought the Camillus number was a C-4, but maybe not. It could've been just since 2001 or so, as I gave it as a gift, but I'll check it out and get back here.

Bill

P. S.
Jim, you may well be correct on the CLASSIC series, I don't know. I believed the original question was just about the Cartridge Series in general, but I could be mistaken.
P. P. S.
Looks like the "Classic" is/was in bone...and the plain "Cartridge" is in Delrin?

There 7 knives in the Camillus Classic Cartridge Series and longbeachguy was kind enough to list them. These knives all have bone handles and cartidge shields.

In addition to the Camillus Classic Cartridge Series a Cartridge Series was offered. These knives have Delrin handles.

A model #CCC8 was planned for the Camillus Classic Cartridge Series, but never went into production. This knife would have been a single blade lock back (similar to a Remington model #R1253) with a 250 Savage cartridge shield.

Tom Williams

Thanks Tom! Interesting little factoid about the planned but never built CCC8.
Phil

hi,

Am researching knives for inventorying my deceased brother's collection. He has what appears to be a Camillus classic trapper pattern with an inert 17 HMR Hornady Cartridge inbedded in the handle. The word Hornady is written on the clip blade. The box it came in says HORN1 on it though.

Can anyone tell me more about this knife and point me to any info?

Thanks.

I just picked up the CCC-2, .30-30 Winchester to go along with my 1982 Marlin 336. I just sent the payment last Thurdsay and now get to wait for the knife. This cartridge thing is catchy. I also just won a Queen .30-30 Win. folding hunter to go with both the Camillus and the Marlin. I'm looking forward to both, but the Camillus especially as I also picked up a regular type, 1988 marked Camillus Moose/Muskrat for next to nothing.

Good info in here as it can get confusing just within the Camillus line with the CCC, CC and Safari series, plus who knows what other cartridge oriented series.

Back