Camp Knife Challenge Results!!!!!

All right boys……this is what you have been waiting for. It is going to take you awhile to read. So grab a bowl of popcorn, a few beers and pull up a seat!!!!

IMG_4515.jpg

Intro

I am sure that if you are reading this now, that you have at least somewhat kept up with the threads on the topic.

Pitdog came up with the idea of having a camp knife challenge, and everyone went nuts for it. The whole project has just snowballed from there. I suggested a few tasks to put the knives through, and asked for further input. I did not get any. But I did think of one or two additional things to do.

Also, I had intended on doing things that I purposely did not want to tell anyone. I did not want any makers tailoring their knives to my specific criteria, and rather wanted to evaluate them in the state that any member here would receive one, if they purchased one.

In my opinion, this is also a chance for the makers to showcase their work and show off their designs. So, the first thing I intend to do, before the knife even gets used, is to look at the construction detail, fit and finish, and then document what I consider to be some key measurements in the design.

After that, again before getting into real use, I wanted to have a “baseline” for how sharp each knife is as shipped. The only way I can conceive doing that objectively was to rig up a fixture, holding string, attached to a light weight scale. The actual measurement taken may not really mean anything, but it will indeed give you a reference of how they compare to other entries. More of a “relative” measurement than an “absolute” one.

Thank You!

I would like to just take a moment to thank all the makers involved. To many, I am sure I am a pretty unknown quantity. It takes a lot of guts to step up and say “Sure, I will let this guy say whatever he wants about my knife!” Especially since everyone involved knows that I was planning on stating good and bad. Not just highlighting the good stuff, and neglecting the not so good stuff, which seems to be a common occurrence in reviews.

My intention was to just tell what I see. I do not mean to hurt anyone’s feelings, and I hope it is not taken that way. If think there is merit in something I said that is not positive, great! Maybe make a tweak. If you think I am full of crap…..you could very well be right! : ) Take my comments for what they are.

Sorry to ramble. My point is, thank you all for stepping up and be willing to be evaluated. That certainly says a lot about you, and the confidence you have in your knives. These are all great knives, and it was a pleasure to see them all in the same place.

Test Style

I am sure there are folks that are going to be a bit disappointed in the extent to which I was actually able to take the testing. Switching between 11 knives, and trying to get a good feel for each was much more time consuming and difficult than I ever imagined.

A lot of makers were also concerned about the “condition” their knife would be after the end of test. I like my tests to be as “real world” as possible. I am not into chopping man made objects, or testing to failure. There are other guys out there that are really good at that. I simply wanted to see how these perform at tasks that I (and hopefully the rest of you) would do with them on regular basis. Nothing was really extravagant or out there in terms of torture.

Test Method

I am sure there are a few folks that are wondering if a test like this is even valid. I mean, we have a bunch of knives being asked to cover a very wide range of tasks. Then, they are being evaluated by ONE person! I admit, there can be a lot of subjectivity into every test, and I am going to try my best to minimize that. In order to do that, I plan to do the following:

I will have one section on my opinion. A lot of ergos, balance and “feel” is going to be highly opinionated. I plan to give that : ) but everyone has to realize that my opinion is not necessarily theirs. The best you can use it for is to know how aligned your tastes are with mine (or not) and draw your own conclusions. I will get the opinion out of my system, and hopefully be objective from there : )

If at all possible, I want to provide data on the knife that will back up its performance, or data during the test itself. That will only be possible in a few cases, so in general I just plan to comment on performance without drawing any conclusions. Again, I just want to try and state facts.

Finally, I know that a camp knife is a highly personal choice. The one I select might lean toward better performance in kitchen duties while one you want may lean towards better chopping performance. It is unlikely that one design will do all so stellar that I don’t want multiple knives : )

So, I intend to rate each knife individually against the given task. The rating will be a 1 to 10 type of deal. At the end of each section, I will summarize the individual knife performance for you. And the end of ALL the testing, I will add up the totals from each section, and see what the grand total is for each knife. It is quite possible that I could end up with an eleven way tie!

The reason I like this testing method is that it can allow each individual reader to tailor the results to their liking. For example, I will have a 1 to 10 rating on “Fit and Finish.” If that is not at all important to you, you can drop that entire section from the score, and re-total it yourself! It is also possible to take the final scores and introduce a “weighting factor” to give a different result. I will explain that at the end. But, if you rate “chopping” as a higher priority than “food prep” you can easily manipulate the numbers based on your own individual priority. Hopefully, that will make sense later.

In the end, I am relying on an educated reader. To take the information I am providing, understand their own needs and “wants” and make a selection based on that. Not necessarily based on my opinion or conclusion.

Order of Tests

Before beginning, I already come to the conclusion that I will not sharpen any knives. There are too many different grind styles, angles, opinions on finishes, etc. Instead, I intend to do the tests in order such that the finer tasks are done first (when the knife is sharpest) and continue on down the line with the more abusive tests toward the end. It is the best solution I could come up with.

Enough jabbering……let’s begin!

Entry Showcase

To keep things simple, I keep referring to the knives in the same order over and over again.

In this section, I took a picture of each knife and detail the information that the maker gave to me. These are not my words. I have just posted their info here.

The following are the entries I received:

Koyote

IMG_4525.jpg

Alaskan. (model name)
Camp knife challenge entry

Christof Harper
www.koyoteknives.com
christof@koyoteknives.com
sietchtabr@gmail.com

Sierra Student (sheaths)

OAL 12.25
Blade 7
thickness, nominally .095 (3/32)
2 inches broad at top of thumbramp
15N20 steel, differentially tempered.

handle is tan canvas micarta, flared (peened) lanyard tubing pins with
slow set epoxy on the scales.

"convex scandi" grind.

notes: pinch grip and forward choked grip capabilities designed in for
fine work, good drop edge for chopping and camp kitchen. "micro
spearpoint" tip is good for drilling fireboards and plenty strong.

I'm especially curious how it does with finer bushcraft tasks. I often
use a much smaller drop edge for heavy carving technique situations,
but it should work out with the right grips.

Strop away however you want. Sharpening shouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget to use thread locker (nail polish in a pinch) on the
chicago screws when you find a setup you like for carry.

I have sometimes used recycled bandsaw- I like doing so, but most of
my blades from 15N20 come from new stock I get through Kelly Cupples.

I'm really focussed on simplicity in design- this is almost a "busy"
knife for me for a field blade. The simpler and more comfortable the
knife is in multiple grips, the better off the user is :)

Noshtero

IMG_4520.jpg

Here's what I can say about it.

5 1/2" blade
10 1/2" overall
3/16" 01 heat treated and tempered by yours truly
Mirror polished edge
Poisonwood handle with aluminum pins and lanyard tube
Black leather sheath with braided stitching

This camp knife is the 6th knife I've made. I sold my very first knife two weeks ago out of my pass-around. That was the 5th knife I'd made. So I guess I'm sort of "in business" now.

My process is very simple. I make these out of my garage. I basically had Stomper pick out all my equipment. He even let me have his old charcoal forge. I haven't really developed any trade secrets yet.

If it's going to look really weird because others have written pages out their knife, then let me know and I can embellish it. I guess by nature I have a hard time talking up myself. I would like to highlight that this is my sixth knife. This is probably Koster's 6000th! As far as price? I'm wishy washy on that. I don't personally feel my knives are up to the standards that the other makers set yet, so I'd have a hard time charging what they charge. For a 5 1/2" blade like that.. I don't know. $120ish? Maybe a little less. I'd actually be really curious what you think I should charge for one like that.

Bruce Culberson

IMG_4524.jpg

Like most other knife makers and knife enthusiast I loved knives ever since I was young. My first knife was a single blade slip joint that my dad bought for me at the local corner store. It had a picture of an RCMP officer riding a horse on one of the scales. I have also always had a love for the outdoors – camping, fishing, hunting, and hiking. I like doing things myself such as reloading rifle ammunition, fletching arrows & cutting them to length, tying my own fishing flies, glass bedding rifles, etc. So it was only a matter of time until I wanted to make my own knife. I started with putting handles on kit knives and I was hooked and wanted to make my own blades. My father is a carpenter and I think that is why I like wood handles so much.

I have made mostly hunting knives and smaller neck/EDC knives. This knife for this competition is actually my first camp knife and only the third knife I’ve made with a blade over 5”! I have been making knives for just under two years, and just started selling in April of 2009. My interpretation of a camp knife is that it is the SUV of knives – meant to handle some big jobs like chopping & batoning wood, but also nimble enough for finer work like field dressing game and fish. The knife I built has a thick handle so that it doesn’t create hot spots when doing heavy work. The balance point is right on the index finger – about 1/8” ahead of the forward pin. This makes the knife more lively in your hand for the finer cutting tasks.

I was thinking of making an 8-9" blade at first, then decide to go with 7". The whole blade was hardened, then after double tempering the edge was placed in a pan of water and I used a propane tourch to draw the spine back to blue for a spring temper. This leaves the edge hard but softens the spine making it stronger for tasks such as chopping and batoning. I went with a drop point blade since that design seems to do a lot of things well for me. The spine was left square for striking firesteels (I should have put a loop on the sheath and included a firesteel). The combination of a flat grind with a convex edge seem to slice well and stand up to heavier chores. The blade main bevel has a 95% flat grind finished off with a very slight convex. The edge is convex.

Here are the specs:
Blade length tip to scales: 7”
Blade width: 1 ¼”
Handle length: 5”
Grind: full flat with a secondary convex edge
Steel: O1 ground from 3/16” stock
Handle material: Bocote with red liners
Pins & thong tube: brass

The wood handle has several coats of tung oil topped off with bee’s wax. The blade was hand sanded to 320 grit for a working finish. Retail $185.

To Be Continued.....

Last edited:
Koster

IMG_4522.jpg

M.U.C.K.
(My Ultimate Camp Knife)

Overall length = 11"
Blade length = 6"
Blade thickness = 3/16"
Blade steel = O1, hardened to 59-60 HRc
Blade grind = flat grind with swedge
Sharpening angle = approx 30 degrees inclusive
Handle length = 5.5"
Handle material = Natural Canvas Micarta, with Blue liners
Handle finish = heavy bead-blasting for extra grip even when wet
All corners have been chamfered to make the handle more comfortable.
Special feature = pommel crusher with removable lanyard
Selling price is not fixed yet...but will probably be around $185 (sheath extra)

I posted a bunch of pics and write-up on the Camp knife challenge thread starting on Page 14, post 264 & 267
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7269342&postcount=264
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7270441&postcount=267
and then continued on Page 16, post 316 & 317
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7286561&postcount=316
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7286567&postcount=317
with some of my design ideas posted in post 318.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7286581&postcount=318

SDS

IMG_4519.jpg

The knife I made is a general use camp knife. I love big knives but over
the years I've learned that I just don't like to carry them and they end
up laying around instead of with me when I need them. This knife was
designed to be large enough to handle most camp chores without being too
large to comfortably carry.

I made it out of D2 because that is a steel that I have used a lot and I
trust the heat treat I have for that steel. I've been able to abuse this
steel without failures or chipping. Once sharpened it holds an edge for a
long time and I really like it for a using steel.

The thicker steel was used to increase the overall strength of the knife.
The full flat grind was used to decrease the overall weight.

The handle design was made to be comfortable for long term use while still
offering good grip when trying to do light chopping. Although I
personally prefer natural materials I used micarta on this one to increase
the durability. It's hard to argue the practicality of micarta and the
canvas micarta's offer really good grip without feeling "cold".

I'm curious to see how this shorter blade stacks up against the larger
knives in this evealuation. Of course the knife can be made with longer
blades but I like knives in this size range for the reasons listed above.
The greatest knives in the world aren't going to do you any good if you
don't have them with you when you need them.

I hope this answers some of the questions about why I chose this design
and used the materials I did. If there is anything else I can tell you
that would help out please don't hesitate to let me know.

Craig Wheatley

IMG_4521.jpg

Blade length 6 inches
Overall length 10 ¾ inches
Thickness 1/8th
Steel O1 Toolsteel
Grind type Convex
Hardness 59 Rc
Handle Material Orange G-10 Sanded to 320 Grit, SS pins, Lanyard hole
Selling price of the knife reviewed approximately $200

My only limit for making this knife was my heat treat oven. I can only go to around 10 inches overall. I decided on a 6 inch blade with a 4.5 inch handle. I used this handle style on another bushcraft type knife in the past and I have had very good feedback on its comfort and use. When I think camp knife I think camp kitchen first, everything else second. I went with a full 2 inch high blade like a chef’s knife but for strength I went with a convex grind hoping for good slicing ability but strong enough to baton or chop up kindling if needed. You would not be using this knife in a 5 star kitchen but it will slice tomatoes and potatoes not split them. I chose 1/8th stock as I think this is more than enough for what I expect from a camp knife. The point is centered so drilling is possible. Handle is bright orange G-10 as it is one of my favourite handle materials. I had wanted a Kydex sheath but ran out so I had to make up a simple leather sheath for it. My choice would be kydex with lots of lashing points. The kydex is rigid enough for the knife to be tossed into a backpack and not have to worry about it. All my knives come with a lanyard hole as I think it is important for chopping or using the knife over/around water. Finally, I chose O1 as I really like its properties and performance.

Stomper

IMG_4517.jpg

The specs of my entry are as follows:

Overall Length: 10 7/8" overall length
Blade: 6 1/8" long (straightback style) x 1 7/16" tall x
Thickness: 1/8"
Steel: O1
Hardness: Not given
Handles: contoured ebony handles with yellow liners, 2 - 1/4" brass pins and 1/4" brass lanyard tube

John’s thoughts on what a camp knife should be or be able to do.
- Prep food for meals
- Split and shave wood for fires (1/8" thick batons fine)

Fiddleback

IMG_4518.jpg

Just some details on my Hunter.

OAL is 9.75” and it has a 5” blade of convex sabreground 01 tool steel that is 5/32” thick. The handle is burlap micarta from Shadetree Phenolics. The mosaic pin was made in house, as was the bullseye lanyard tube. It has red liners. I designed it to be a camping and skinning tool. It should handle camp kitchen, and game prep very well. It should also be able to be batonned, and do enough very light chopping necessary to build a shelter if necessary. The 01 steel is heat treated to ~60 RC. The sheath is by JRE.

Rick (Magnussen)

IMG_4516.jpg

SCurve
Material – 1080, handforged.
Thickness – 3/16" thickest at spine, distal tapered.
Blade length – 6 1/2” cutting edge.
Blade width - 1 1/2" at widest.
Geometry - Flat w/ convex secondary bevel.
OA length - 11 3/4", balance point at center of ricasso.
Handle slabs - Elk, 4 3/4" long, brass pins, hemp wrap, epoxy sealed, sealled with tung oil and buffed with beeswax.
Finish - Rough forge finish with vinegar/bleach etch.
Sheath - 10oz vegetable tan, hand stitched, tooled and riveted.

Current price for a similar piece $500

I chose to get back to my roots on this one. As a custom maker, I tend to always wanna try something new. As we all know, new doesn't always mean it'll work. So I reached back and pulled heavily from the first designs I made when I was a user trying to make the perfect camp knife. The handle is offset from the blade so that the centre of it is inline with the spine of the knife. This allowed me to get behind the blade without over-extending my thumb. It also gave my fingers some clearance when cutting on a flat surface like a board or a log.

The original sketch of the contest knife took on the same handle config as my first knife but with a larger blade for chopping. The blade is actually upswept with a small drop point. I has some belly to it and the drop makes for easier skinning. I decided against the "bearing block" divot in the handle scale as they tend to burn out after time. I also removed the lanyard tube. In all my years of bushcrafting, I have never used a lanyard on a beltknife...

The final knife turned out very similar to the sketch other than the blade is a bit wider... The balance point is just in front of the hemp wrap.

To Be Continued.....

Last edited:
Laconico

IMG_4523.jpg

Before I started, I was looking at the list of tasks that you had for the knife challenge. I made this knife to be something that I'd want given those challenges. I made the knife with me as the user in mind. I designed a very simple knife. It's what I think will work. It's not the best design for everything but I think it is versatile enough to at least be able to do all the tasks. I guess versatility is what I was after.. There I found the word I was looking for!

I did it by stock removal with 3/16", O1 steel. The handle is linen micarta. The leather sheath is also by me.

Patrick

IMG_4526.jpg

Specs:
Blade: 7 ½
Overall: 13 ½
Thickness: ¼
Steel: A2
Hardness: 60 (Target)
Grind: Full Flat
Bevels: 15-22.5
Price: $190 including sheath

The way I looked at the challenge were if I wanted to take one knife into the field and depend on it, what would I take. The wood chopping and other challenges made me want a larger and thicker blade than I would normally consider. Even with that I want a knife that will cut and be fairly easy to use for other camp chores, such as cooking.

I mostly flat grind. I like the extra material especially at the tip and it can be ground to a narrow profile to be sharp and durable. I chose A2 because it’s a tough steel with a reasonable cost and has stain and rust resistance. In the field I don’t want to depend on every user understanding the need to keep a knife dry and oiled all the time.

Chopping in a wilderness is dangerous; one slip can be really serious. I made the handle larger than typical so that it fits your hand full without fingers overlapping. This makes the most of hand surface area and helps prevent fatigue. To keep the volume of the handle reasonable, the profile is pretty narrow. The butt on the handles wraps around the back on the hand preventing slipping forward. The notch for the index finger is very deep for protection and grip and the guard helps protect from missed blows. And a lanyard to provide a little more safety.

Handles are jade micarta and are held with Colby bolts. The spacers add looks and also help seal between the handles and blade. The guard is stainless and is pinned twice and soldered. This makes a handle that will last a lifetime.

The handle is set at about a 5 degree angle from the blade. This allows for proper wrist angle when the blade meets the wood when chopping between knee and belt height.

This clip is to make the tip less blunt. The tip is strong but sharp for drilling and other tip work.

Let’s move on to the fit and finish section

Fit and Finish

Before I begin this section, I want it known that I am not drawing any conclusions from my observations. Everyone has a different opinion on toothy versus polished edge, slippery versus rough handle, etc. When I point out stuff here it is not to say one is good, and one is bad. I am simply pointing out what I see.

Also, with a lot of this stuff, I am probably being WAY more picky than the average user. And, I know what to look for in certain areas because I make knives myself. If I point flaws in the manufacturing, it is not intended to be negative. Just simply pointing out what I see.

Again, I am leaving it up to the reader to gather the facts I am presenting and make their own decision. For example, would you rather purchase a flawless knife for $1000, or one with some imperfections for $50? I am exaggerating, but hopefully you get my point. In the end, what you want and prioritize for yourself is not my call.

Finally, I decide to not give knives a rating in this section that will count in the final total. I fully intended to. However, when I started actually trying to put numbers down, it was just too hard. Somewhat every score in this contest is subjective. But, some things are more cut and dry. A knife cuts, or it doesn’t. It drifts, or it doesn’t. But, my rating fit and finish is much more grey. Take for instance one of the rustic knives (like Rick’s or Koyote’s). That look is part of the overall package. I think they are both amazing. But, Laconico’s work is flawless. How do rate Rick’s knife (which is super aesthetically pleasing) to Ray’s knife where I can see absolutely everything going on? In the end, I just decided to leave you with pictures.

Koyote

IMG_4602.jpg

Nice tip!

IMG_4603.jpg

Filework.

IMG_4604.jpg

Handle fit is nice.

IMG_4605.jpg

Side view.

IMG_4606.jpg

Nice fit here too.

IMG_4608.jpg

Butt slightly asymmetrical. Very hard to notice.

IMG_4607.jpg

To Be Continued....

Okay….this sheath is just amazing! Beautiful to look at, and the strap looks super functional as well.

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

Noshtero

Some funky machine marks.

IMG_4611.jpg

Large handle gap.

IMG_4613.jpg

Just observing here.

IMG_4614.jpg

Nice, polished edge. Good job!

IMG_4615.jpg

Little rough in here.

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

Grind narrows the blade a touch. Maybe ground too high?

IMG_4618.jpg

Just observing again.

IMG_4619.jpg

To Be Continued.....

Sheath.

IMG_4620.jpg

Bruce Culberson

Nice finish!

IMG_4595.jpg

Perfectly even grinds!

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

Comfy looking handle.

IMG_4598.jpg

Nit pick is all I can do with this one. The only thing I can spot is there is a slight transition out of the corners. It is not even visible in the pictures, but I can see it by eye. I am being very picky though!

IMG_4599.jpg

More handle.

IMG_4600.jpg

Nice sheath.

IMG_4601.jpg

Koster

I really like that Dan left the spine (forward of serrations) square.

IMG_4543.jpg

But rounded every where else for comfort.

IMG_4541.jpg

To Be Continued.....

IMG_4542.jpg

Nice job!

Finish is nice.

IMG_4545.jpg

This throws me a bit. It looks like a mill finish, but with the chamfer, it must have been bead or sand blasted.

IMG_4546.jpg

The blade finish really throws me. It is obviously a belt finished blade. I am guessing that the sheath could have put the long ways scratches in the blade, but there are a lot of them! It almost looks like you started to put a hand finish on it, and quit.

IMG_4544.jpg

The secondary grind is pretty uneven. As you can see, wide:

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

The evens out.

IMG_4548.jpg

Then super thin.

IMG_4550.jpg

Purchased sheath.

IMG_4563.jpg

SDS

Belt finished, with a lot of heat treat remants still visible.

IMG_4570.jpg

To Be Continued.....

The sharp transition areas of the handle are not as well sanded as the rest. Hard to tell in pictures.

IMG_4571.jpg

Spine shot.

IMG_4572.jpg

Handle fit.

IMG_4573.jpg

A few scratch marks in here.

IMG_4574.jpg

Tried to show the fit here, but it got a little washed out.

IMG_4575.jpg

Cool sheath and neat little carving.

IMG_4576.jpg

Craig Wheatley

Some funky stuff going on with the finish.

IMG_4535.jpg

You can still see machine markings in the steel.

IMG_4536.jpg

A little handle gapping.

IMG_4537.jpg

Small gap.

IMG_4538.jpg

To Be Continued.....

Yikes! Pin got a bit too hot!

IMG_4539.jpg

As you can see, not quite sharp all the way back.

IMG_4540.jpg

Stomper

Stomper’s knife features a nice even and symmetric grind.

IMG_4551.jpg

The blade finish is a nicely done belt finish.

The forward handle area is generally a place inspected by most. Doing this shows a couple things.

Glue squeeze out on both sides, and a small gap.

IMG_4558.jpg

That leads me into inspection of the rest of the handle with the following observations.

Multiple sanding marks.

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

You can also see heavy grind marks left in the steel as well as grinds left in the wood.

IMG_4553.jpg

Asymmetrical butt.

IMG_4557.jpg

Radius not smooth. You can see grind lines in it creating the “not round” effect.

IMG_4555.jpg

Sheath is okay looking, but I would prefer a bit more retention. It will readily fall out if tipped over.

IMG_4561.jpg

To Be Continued.....

Fiddleback

Nice saber convex, with belt finish.

IMG_4585.jpg

Mosaic pin and burlap micarta.

IMG_4586.jpg

Andy’s ball bearing look : )

IMG_4587.jpg

Nice fit and finish all around.

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

These next two pictures I hate to post. Mostly because it is not typical of Andy’s work. Andy is famous for sharpening all the way back. But, not on this knife.

IMG_4593.jpg

From the side, you can also tell that the secondary grind is uneven, and fixing by the end user would require more than a stone.

IMG_4592.jpg

Nice JRE sheath. I would expect it from those boys.

IMG_4594.jpg

Rick

Cool looking patina.

IMG_4564.jpg

To Be Continued....

Nice antler handles.

IMG_4565.jpg

Handle.

IMG_4566.jpg

Wrapping.

IMG_4568.jpg

A sheath that compliments this knife beautifully.

IMG_4569.jpg

I could not really find anything to nit pick with Rick’s knife.

Laconico

I think someone should check Ray’s pulse, because I suspect he is a robot! This thing is perfection!!!

Nice belt finish.

IMG_4577.jpg

Perfectly even and matched grinds.

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

Now this is classy!

IMG_4580.jpg

Fit and finish is top notch!

IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4582.jpg

To Be Continued.....

IMG_4583.jpg

Sheath is very simple, but elegant. I like it!

IMG_4584.jpg

Patrick

Just observing.

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

You can see there are a couple grind angles in the final “grinds.”

IMG_4529.jpg

Guard fit.

IMG_4530.jpg

Looks like a bit of liner smeared over the guard.

IMG_4531.jpg

A bit of a rough spot here.

IMG_4532.jpg

Observing again.

IMG_4533.jpg

Sheath.

IMG_4534.jpg

To Be Continued......

Measurements

On a flat grind or a convex grind, every maker probably has a target dimension for what to grind to before putting the secondary bevel on, or feathering the edge into the rest of the grind. I know I do for my own knives. However, that is not something I can measure anymore, because the secondary grind is on the knife : ) But, what I can do is measure the point where the secondary grind joins the primary grind.

The result will be a thicker number, but will give an indication of what the original thickness was. What it will also do is give you a relative comparison between all these knives. The thinness, or thickness should give you an indication of what each knife is likely to excel at, and hopefully explain some of its later performance.

If there is one thing that I have learned from axe grinding and knife making is just how important edge geometry is. More important than steel selection, overall thickness, and final angle of secondary bevel. It effects cutting performance in every way! It is also amazing what a difference a couple thousandths of an inch can make in this critical area. That is my reason for doing this.

Since these are hand ground evenness is not a given. So, I took three measurements; one near the ricasso, one mid-blade and one the tip. What I did is rig up a little fixture to hold the knife, then a little block that sits the edge .050” down into it. I took my measurement there. The point I chose to measure is only one point along the edge geometry (edge to spine), but it was measureable and repeatable. Results are show below.

Ricasso - Middle - Tip (Sorry tabbing is working for me. Hopefully you can figure it out)
Koyote 038 .042 .038
Noshtero .038 .045 .036
Bruce Culberson .039 .032 .029
Koster .038 .035 .034
SDS .035 .025 .056

(That final reading is correct. I would not have noticed this without measuring. But looking at it afterward did show that the tip has quite a thicker edge geometry.)

Craig Wheatley .045 .047 .038
Stomper .040 .035 .052

(Same issue seen before.)

Fiddleback .044 .044 .040
Rick .045 .046 .044
Laconico .034 .035 .035
Patrick .062 .060 .051

(Obviously Patrick’s knife is the beast of the bunch!)

I am not going to give each knife a rating in this section, because it is just information.

Sharpness

My measurement device is pretty simple. It is a U-shaped fixture, and I used string across the top of the U. This device sat on top of a scale. As I pushed downward, the pressure was applied directly to the scale. I will cut with the mid-point of the blade, noting the maximum measurement just before the string is cut.

The number on its own does not really mean anything. Because you are unlikely to create the exact same set up, with the exact same string. However, what it does is give you a relative indication of how each knife compares to each other.

In order to try to make things as consistent as possible, I used a nylon/polypropylene blended string. I also took 3 measurements and am reporting the average. It is good to know that there was almost no variation between the 3 measurements taken, so “averaging” wasn’t really necessary. Push cutting only (obviously). Here are the results:

Koyote 2 lb even
Noshtero 3 lb 12 oz

(I feel I have to stop and comment on this one. It does “feel” sharper than the actual measurement would seem to indicate. I think it perhaps the edge geometry not allowing to push through as effortly as the others as this one does do well later in testing. We will see though)

Bruce Culberson 1 lb 14 oz
Koster 4 lb 2 oz
SDS 2 lb even
Craig Wheatley 2 lb 11 oz
Stomper 2 lb 3 oz
Fiddleback 2 lb 2 oz
Rick 1 lb 6 oz
Laconico 1 lb 15 oz
Patrick 2 lb 12 oz

This was a lot of trouble to do. But, the reason I did it is because some knives are really sharp. Some are so-so, and a couple are not so great. Instead of me just subjectively saying which are sharp and which are not, I wanted to back it up.

The data shown does indeed correspond to my opinion on what knives I feel are sharp or not.

The ones that tested in the sub 2 lb range are nice and sharp. Great job guys!

The ones between 2 lb and 3 lbs are okay, but not super sharp. To put it this way, if they were my knives, they would be getting a polishing.

Stuff over 3 lbs should really be re-thought. Just my opinion. You can let the testing reveal more (or not).

At first, I hemmed and hawed on rating giving ratings to this section. After thinking on it, I decided to for a couple of reasons:

- This is a “knife” challenge. Not a “tool challenge. In my opinion a knife needs to cut things first. It is its main intention. If it doesn’t cut, it is not much good to you.

- Second, is the scoring system I have come up with, you can easily drop this section out of the calculation if you like.

With that in mind, here are the scores.

Koyote 8.5
Noshtero 6
Bruce Culberson 9
Koster 4
SDS 8.5
Craig Wheatley 7
Stomper 8
Fiddleback 8
Rick 10
Laconico 9
Patrick 7

Opinions

This is the section where I will let my opinion matter : ) No scores given, or anything like that. Just my impression of each knife.

Koyote

I think I am going to like this knife. This is the second Koyote knife I have handled, and the handles are really cool to me. I like the “kitchen knife” quality of this knife and am a fan of thinner knives in general.

Noshtero

While a bit rougher on the fit and finish, I think this thing has a lot of aspects of a great knife design. I can not wait to get to using it.

Bruce Culberson

This one has caught me by surprise. It is a well rounded design, nicely executed, and feels great.

Koster

This is a really interesting knife. It has kind of a forward curve to it, that gives it a really neat feel. I am not sure what that will mean in use yet, but we are gonna see!

SDS

This is a neat overall knife. I typically like wide blades, but we will see how it does in the “test” I have chosen. I do however, feel that this one may be a bit undersized in the tasks chosen.

Craig Wheatley

I have to admit, this one is much more wide than I am used to. So, I am looking forward to using it and see what that means.

One thing that I do know I am not a fan of is the finger notch between the first and second finger. I have never understand what that provides, and sometimes think it is something to please the knife maker. I just feel that I seriously limits grip options and makes a reverse grip particularly uncomfortable.

Stomper

The straight back is a classic design, and I like it. I particularly like the 1/8” thickness chose for this knife as I am a fan of thinner ones.

I was pretty hard on this one in the “fit and finish” section, but that doesn’t mean that it won’t perform. So, let’s see how it does.

Like Craig’s knife, I am not a big fan of the finger bumps in the handle. I will show that in pictures and hopefully a video later.

Fiddleback

I have seen a few of Andy’s knives, and they keep getting better and better. Andy makes some great handles, and this one is no exception.

Andy’s older knives that I have handled seemed to have a bit too thick of a grind on them. But that was then…..this one is nice!!! I can tell this one is going to be fun.

Like my comment on SDS’s knife, I do feel that this one is going to be a bit on the small size for the tasks at hand. It does seem suited for exactly the name given to it. Hunter.

Rick

By feel, this thing is amazing. I am a sucker for traditional looking stuff, but thing feels good too.

I think the handle swell (into your palm) is a feature that is highly ignored by most makers, and yet one of the most pleasurable things to use. I am also a fan of curvature in the cutting edge, and this one has that.

Subjectively, this one definitely feels like the sharpest of the bunch.

I am really excited to see what this one can do.

Laconico

I can go on and on about this one. But the pictures really say it all, and all I can say is Perfection!

Nicely done Ray!

Patrick

I have to admit, this thing is a bit more massive than what I am used to in a knife. It is thick, it is heavy, but it also balances well. It has a hand filling handle an a grind suited to its mass. So, we will just have to wait and see how it does.

To Be Continued....

Cooking

This one is one of the important ones for me. Mainly because I like to cook, and for some reason, even enjoy it more in the outdoors.

To me, cutting meat (or any more deformable substance) is not that big of a deal. All you need is a sharp edge, and you really don’t get a good feel of whether or not the overall knife geometry is helping you or hurting you. For this test, I have chosen a non-deformable camp food : )

Many times I have been fishing in northern Canada, and whether it is to accompany fresh caught fish, or to go with eggs in the morning, fried potatoes with chopped onion, garlic and salt and pepper is a camp favorite!

Of course, being manly men, you would be laughed off the island if you pulled out a potato peeler! : ) So out come all the sheath knives to get the food ready. Yes, I am going to peel them too with these suckers!

A bag of potatoes, some onion, and a free kitchen while the wife is gone! : )

IMG_4645.jpg

I split this up into 2 sections. The first was how the knife did and the peeling portion. The second was how they did at the slicing portion. I scored each individually, and then averaged the two for the final overall score for “cooking.” It turns out that preparing the onion really did not provide any additional useful information than peeling and slicing the potatoes did. Just more of the same. Because of that, I neglected it in the comments below.

Here are some of the peeling action shots.

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

Here are some of the slicing

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4652.jpg

I will summarize my thoughts on each knife for both tasks.

Koyote

This knife did excellent at the peeling portion. Overall, the sharpness is good, and I think the thin stock selection really helped that as well. Knife was easy to handle for this task as well.

I had a much harder time with this knife during slicing. For the same reason a scandi-type grind is not good for this type of thing, is that the entire grind from edge to full knife thickness occurs over a very short distance (compared to a full flat grind). Therefore, the full thickness of the knife is reached early in the cut and results in the whole knife being pushed aside. That makes it difficult to get nice, straight, and even cuts. I had to hold this knife at quite an angle to get the cuts I was looking for, and definitely required more concentration.

I rated this knife a 9 for peeling, and a 6 for slicing, with an overall score of 7.5.

Noshtero

This knife did good for peeling. The reason I had to comment on this knife’s performance in the “sharpness” test is because it did not seem the case in actual use. The sharp feel of this knife let it bit right in, and peel pretty decent.

Slicing performance was also pretty good on this one as well. Not the best of the bunch, but certainly no complaints.

I rated it an 8 for each task, giving it an overall total of…..you guessed it…..8 : )

Bruce Culberson

This knife peeled excellent. I believe that to be the overall final sharpness, and the appropriate thinness at the edge. Love it.

For the same reasons, it sliced excellent.

I rated it a 9 on each, again with giving it an average of 9.

Koster

For peeling, this knife just kind of felt average. Nothing bad, and yet nothing remarkable.

For slicing, it felt really good, and did the job fine.

I gave it a 6 on the peeling, and an 8 on the slicing, for an average score of 7.

SDS

This knife peeled pretty easy. I rated it pretty good, but no excellent. One of the aspects of this design is that when you hold it in the grip that you would to peel the blade is actually quite wide (from edge to spine). Since your control is closer to the center line of the knife, that width hurts accuracy a bit, which is key in a task like this.

For peeling, it did just fine, but yet was nothing super outstanding.

I rated this one an 8 for peeling and 7 for slicing, for an average score of 7.5.

Craig Wheatley

For peeling, I would say that this knife just did “okay.” The issue of blade width that I commented on with SDS’s knife was even more exaggerated here.

Because of the grind style, slicing performance was hurt in the exact same way I described for Koyote’s grind.

I have this knife a score of 6 in each category, for an average score of 6.

Stomper

For peeling, this knife did just fine. Nothing really bad, but nothing really outstanding either.

For slicing, it did better. I think that the selection of thinner stock definitely help this knife here.

I rated it a 6 for peeling, and an 8 for slicing, for an average score of 7.

Fiddleback

Peeling went really nice with the nice. The grind is fairly thin, which helps, and the smaller overall size lends itself better to this task.

Slicing is nice! Glides through like butter! I don’t know what else to really say.

I rated this one a 9 for peeling and a 10 for slicing, for an average score of 9.5.

Rick

I think I have found the world’s most expensive potato peeler! Again, this knife popped out on top with sharpness, and it is showing here. I don’t know what else to say.

Good lord, this thing can slice too! Sharp and proper edge thickness. It’s a beautiful thing. The knife almost guided itself through, and I could make paper thin slices without even really trying.

IMG_4650.jpg

Obviously, I rated this one a 10 on each, for an average score of 10.

Laconico

Very, very nice on the peeling. Again, sharpness is great! No complaints at all.

For slicing, it was not as great. Not horrible, just not as great. Overall, the knife is a bit thicker at the spine. The further you get into the object, the more the knife was forced aside making the straighter cuts more difficult. That is the exact reason I picked a tougher object to prepare. There is no way I would not be happy using this knife in the field. It is just not as effortless as others scored higher.

I rated it a 9 for peeling, and a 7 for slicing, for an average score o 8.

Patrick

The big beast! You just have to look at how crazy this looks!

IMG_4649.jpg

Obviously, peeling potatoes was not meant to be this knife’s forte. With thicker edge geometry, as you can guess, it did not peel very well. It did better than I expected, but still not as good as many others. I do have to admit that I figured this knife would be extremely fatiguing. However, the balance is good and did not really make wrist/forearm fatigue an issue. Bicep fatigue from holding the beast is definitely a separate issue! : )

Slicing, it actually did okay. There was a touch of drift from the grind, but not too bad at all.

I have the peeling a score of 5, and slicing a score of 7, for an average score of 6.

Here is the Summary:

Koyote 7.5
Noshtero 8
Bruce Culberson 9
Koster 7
SDS 7.5
Craig Wheatley 6
Stomper 7
Fiddleback 9.5
Rick 10
Laconico 8
Patrick 6

To Be Continued....

Bushcraft

For someone who claims to have “bushcraft” as their first love, my little wimpy pet project for these knives is going to seem lame. I really wanted to come up with some grand scale project, that would be worthy of switching between 11 different knives! But, the actual task of switching between 11 different knives, trying to get a feel for them, and write down my impressions was MUCH more time consuming than I ever imagined.

So, what I did was to just do a simple project. In this case I built a simple cooking crane. I also did this was some green, freshly cut wood. The reason is, a lot of buchcraft things are made out of these types of things, and as you know, green stuff cuts and acts differently than dried wood. I would be doing dry wood cutting later anyway.

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

Building this quickly would in no way get me a chance to use each knife enough. So, I did a couple things to help with that. First, I made sure and finish the details as much as possible. Instead of just hacking off the stick, I made it nice and round and smooth. Second, I just kept doing the same task over and over again : )

When I cut a stick to length, I rounded over the edge, and kept whittling a way to get a nice finished end. When I was done, I simply moved up an inch and started the whole thing over with a different knife : ) In the end, I am glad I did it this way because it seemed to keep the density of the wood I was working with as similar as possible for doing the same task.

Here is a pick showing I just chopped off my finished end, and started over again.

IMG_4663.jpg

So, what I did was harvest a bunch of ash saplings that were growing like weeds around my place and needed to be removed anyway.

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

I played a little bit with the knives stripping them clean.

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

To Be Continued.....

Now to figure out what pieces would work for what part.

I played with cutting sticks to length, tiding up ends, making points, and was only able to make one notch for this particular project. I also got a good chance to use the knives in various grips. For the most part, I focused on the forward grip, the reverse grip and the chest lever grip. I will comment about all those each individually. Here are some of those “in use” pics.

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_4671.jpg

To Be Continued.....

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

Since notching is a commonly done task for bushcraft projects, I felt like I didn’t get to do enough of that. So, after I was done with my crane, I took 3 additional limbs and just kept notching them over and over. Both with the batoning method, and with nothing but standard cutting. For making many notches, I much prefer to baton the end part of the notch as it really speeds things up. Here are some pics of that.

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

Finally, I wanted to see how each knife did in drilling. While I will often do this for certain applications when building stuff with green wood, I think by far, the most widely used application of drilling is in creating a fireboard. Having pretty much all hardwood around my place, I wanted to make it more realistic and use a medium density wood. So, while I weaseled a bit on this, I pulled out a piece of cedar lumber. While not my first choice of wood for a fireboard, it certainly was the hardness and density I would want. So, I went with it.

Here is a couple pics of me drilling my home depot board : )

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

I ended up doing about 6 points with each knife. This was much harder to tell variation between knives, with the exception of a couple standouts. Will tell about those below.

Now, a summary of how I felt each knife did.

Koyote

This knife had excellent cutting performance. I really like it. I was very comfortable using in the forward grip. This thing was the best driller of the bunch. You can tell by looking at the tip of the thing.

IMG_4685.jpg

Unfortunately, I had a bit of issue with the reverse grip on this knife. The combination of the palm hump on the handle (which is extremely comfortable) and the sharp radius from handle to cutting edge, forced my hand very far forward toward the cutting edge.

This picture shows the sharp radius that I was talking about. I am comparing it Rick’s knife which is the most similar, but has a larger, sweeping radius. I will detail in Rick’s section how his did.

IMG_4667.jpg

Definitely to a point that I was uncomfortable cutting in this way. Since reverse grip cutting is such a big deal for me, I had to rate this knife lower because of it.

So, I rated this knife a 7. However, I must comment that the cutting ability was great, and comfort was top notch as well. If not for my small dislike of the reverse grip, I would have definitely rated this one higher.

To Be Continued....

Noshtero

This one was a good overall knife. All grips were nice, and fairly easy. It did all tasks well and was one of the other notable drillers. It feels and works excellent in the chest lever grip.

I gave this one a score of 8.

Bruce Culberson

Sharpness and cutting on this knife is great. Of course, those things go hand in hand. The reverse grip was good on this knife, but not GREAT, like a couple others really were. Sometimes, it is just hard to put your head around the dynamic that is making that so. But, that is my feeling. This one was also amazing to use in the chest lever grip. Love it! It also has a nice point, which made drilling nice.

Koster

Overall, I think Dan’s knife performed just fine, but not “blow me away great!” The reverse grip on this knife feels nice. It is also great in performing chest lever grips. I have commented about the “forward curvature” of the overall knife, and this made making notches really neat. I liked using it. It also did good in drilling. I feel a touch sharper edge would help it much more in the cutting tasks, even though the ergonomics in doing those tasks are good.

I gave this one a score of 7.

SDS

This one was another that just seemed good, but not great. It works very well in the chest lever grip and all grips are comfortable with it. However, being a smaller knife, I feel it should really be able to excel at the smaller, most detailed tasks. Those are something I would do a lot of in the reverse grip. I felt that the wider blade (from edge to spine) hurt this type of accuracy (kind of taking away the advantage of a smaller knife).

I gave this one a score of 6.

Craig Wheatley

This knife cuts good, and works well. Reverse grip was only “ok” due to the really wide blade (from edge to spine). It creates a large gap between your control point near the handle and where the actual cutting is being done. Surprisingly great chest lever cuts! In the reverse grip, the bump between 1st and 2nd fingers would normally bother me, but it did not on this particular knife. The grind made really good and easy notching.

I gave this one a score of 7.

Stomper

This knife did really nice. In the chest lever grip, this thing was a cutting machine! Again, sometime it is just difficult to understand the dynamic that is causing this, but it is how it performed. Again, usually the bump on the handle between 1st and 2nd fingers really bothers me in the reverse grip, but it did not seem to be an issue. Perhaps because my cuts were in smaller, green wood, resulting is less applied pressure.

Fiddleback

Very, very nice to use this knife. This knife had the best reverse grip of the bunch. Something about the handle shape, curves, and where it all lines up with the cutting edge.

IMG_4661.jpg

I could use this knife in this grip all day long!

It also was really nice to use in the chest lever grip. If you could combine it with the sharpness of Rick’s knife, it would be on the top of the heap. So, I do feel it could be a touch sharper. But the thickness (or thinness) of the edge geometry is nice.

Rick

All of this stuff I was doing, really revolves around cutting. While cutting, sharpness is King! So, it is no surprise that this knife did extremely well.

The rear hump on the handle makes this an extremely comfortable knife to hold. Meaning that forward grip is really nice. The chest lever grip is awesome on this knife, and it did good for drilling too.

The reverse grip did just fine, but I feel you have to know what you are doing while using it this way.

IMG_4664.jpg

I feel that the handle hump and the sweeping radius from handle to edge does keep your hand in a great position. However, I feel that you do have to know more about what you are doing and therefore requires a bit more concentration.

While I do not think I would change the design at all, I did knock it down a point in the rating, and gave it a 9. I don’t know if that is fair or not. I just felt that in my hands, I was comfortable, but it could be an issue for others. Again, I personally wouldn’t change it.

Laconico

Again, another very sharp knife, making everything nice. All grips were fine and comfortable. The reverse grip was fine, but not great. I think it is just one of those things where the curves were making my hand naturally fall a bit farther away from the cutting edge than I would have liked in this particular grip. It has an awesome chest lever grip, and I really dig the overall shape and style of the knife.

Patrick

I would not expect finer details and this knife to not get along so well. And, it did indeed feel a bit clumsy. While the balance is extremely knife, this knife is just extremely heavy and wide bladed (which I have mentioned a couple times in how that can effect cutting accuracy).

Still, it did do okay at these tasks. The large guard made reverse grip really neat on this knife. You can shove your hand up toward the blade as hard as you wanted, and had no problems. The chest lever grip cuts fine, but I did find that the bump in the handle was not comfortable in this grip. It wanted to dig in and got worse with pressure.

The thicker edge geometry did not create notches as well as others, but didn’t necessarily do bad either.

I gave this one a score of 6.

Here is a summary of the scores for this section.

Koyote 7
Noshtero 8
Bruce Culberson 8
Koster 7
SDS 6
Craig Wheatley 7
Stomper 8
Fiddleback 8
Rick 9
Laconico 8
Patrick 6

Batoning and Firemaking

I decided to combine these two sections, and give 3 different ratings. The reason is, I have plenty of large, dried, hardwood logs around my place. In order to get smaller wood for firemaking, I was going to have to get out an axe and start splitting up pieces. Or, I could kill two birds with one stone, and just baton everything down to size for firemaking : ) So, that was the route I went. The rating sections are Large Wood Batoning, Medium Wood Batoning, Small Wood Batoning and Fire Preparation as one.

I still will however rate these independently, and let you know where I draw the line between batoning and tinder prep.

I have about 20 face cords of wood that is mostly split and have everything up to full size tree rings : ) I started with some larger pieces of wood, to be worked down. This is all ash. While it is generally straight grained, and one of the easiest woods to split, I managed to get a hold of yucky grained stuff! Some will split easy, and as you will see, some is just a bear!

Here is the wood I started with.

IMG_4687.jpg

I then started with larger pieces, and will the give each knife a rating on this section alone. I have to state that the two shorter knives in the group are going to get an extremely low rating. Nothing to do with how good the knives are, but this was one task that I thought was key in a “Camp Knife.” Being of size to not allow any tip to protrude to baton, means essentially that the task can not be completed : (

Here are a few pictures of that going on.

IMG_4691.jpg

I started laying into a piece of particularly twisty wood with Koyote’s knife. It was giving me a lot of trouble, and I noticed that blade was starting to bend. The effort was also getting beyond what I really wanted as well.

IMG_4697.jpg

I decided to call that good, and stop right there. In order to get this knife out safely, I did have to give the handle a couple of whacks. It absolutely showed no signs of me doing that at all.

The bend was actually only (in my opinion) a slight flexing of the blade. Everything was cool with it, and in fact is a sign of a good heat treat. If you remember, this is the thinnest knife in the lot. Way to go Koyote!

I did experience this exact same issue with Craig Wheatley’s knife as well.

IMG_4696.jpg

Again, I decided to call it, and remove the knife. I was about to move on, then decided “What the heck. Let’s send Patrick’s Big Boy in after this log!”

IMG_4699.jpg

Tada! We made it. That thing is a beast of a knife. But, let me step back for a moment in order to get all philosophical on my outdoor and survival perspective.

I decided to drive this monster knife through this logs for shits and giggles. It was a TON of effort. My baton arm was fatigued, my knife hand was hurting, I was sweating, and breathing hard. Regardless of what the knife can or can’t do, we can choose to make smart decisions in the woods.

If this was a survival situation, I would feel this was a waste of precious energy. To me “survival” is more about smart energy conservation than it is Bear Gryls theatrics. I would never do this under those circumstances.

In a non life threatening “woods bumming” situation, I would have again saved my energy and simply looked for a different piece of wood : ) Knowing these things are the tricks that separate a truly good woodsman from the others, in my opinion.

Long way of saying that while I think it was cool to go ahead and do this, I personally see it as totally unnecessary for a knife to HAVE to complete in order to be deemed an excellent camp knife.

Enough of my rambling, back to the test.

I am moving on to medium wood batoning and will save all my comments and ratings until the very end.

Medium wood was just more of the same. Getting smaller and smaller.

IMG_4693.jpg

Smaller wood is not getting into fire prep territory.

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

To Be Continued....

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

Here is my summary of each, followed by the rating for each section.

Koyote

While this knife was the thinnest of the bunch, the length was fine for large wood batoning. I already filled you in on my thoughts for an absolutely unforgiving knife. So, I am more than fine with this one as is.

The thin blade made the medium and small wood a dream! It was down right great on those!

The handle is extremely comfortable on this knife and a pleasure to use.

The characteristic of the scandi-vex edge really makes wood almost curl by looking at this knife while making fuzz sticks. It should also be noted that in just making shavings (not fuzz sticks) this knife works great and it good in the grips I use to do that.

Noshtero

I honestly do not have a ton of comments on this knife. It seemed to do everything amazingly well. It does not seem that it was lacking in any way, and in general had good, solid performance.

Bruce Culberson

Now this knife is impressive. It is not so big, wide or heavy to be unwieldy, yet it performed everything great!

For large wood batoning, this one was by far the most comfortable. The handle is large, round, and hand filling.

IMG_4704.jpg

When it come to pushing, and taking impact on the hand, it was nice. I kept wanted to reach for this knife for all the wood, but really had to refrain from doing that.

The sharpness of this knife made the finer details of tinder prep a snap.

The only reason I didn’t rate this knife as a perfect 10 is that I have a suspicion that there is a combination that lies somewhere between the handle comfort of this knife and the bestiality of Patrick’s knife that would be a batoning machine. That does not necessary mean that would be the perfect camp knife, but I am rating one very specific task here.

Koster

Good to “Very Nice” all around performance through all these tasks. The “forward curve” shape of this knife has an interesting feeling both while batoning and whittling away at sticks. Something I am not used to, but it seems to be working rather nice.

In making the fuzzing and the finer tinder it worked very good. I am assuming that if it were in the sharpness range of Rick’s knife, that it would be into the downright great category!

SDS

This is one of the knives that will not get such a good score in the large wood batoning, simply because it didn’t have the length. It really had nothing to do with the overall design.

It worked just fine for the medium wood and smaller, and was a great fuzz stick maker and good for making fine tinder.

Craig Wheatley

This knife did work good on all the batoning sections, despite the one bending part, which I feel I have already beat to death : )

In made really nice fuzz stick and in general cut very nice.

Stomper

No shocker here. This knife seems to be a very classic design, and for good reason. The combination of the length and the thickness just seemed to work well in batoning all wood sizes.

It worked good at making fuzz sticks and finer shavings were not bad either. Good overall working knife.

Fiddleback

I feel bad for having to rate this knife lower on the big wood section, as the performance in everything else is just great.

I love working and cutting (overall) with this knife shape and design (as I did in the bushcraft section as well).

A touch of edge polishing would make the fuzz stick making and fine tinder prep even easier.

Rick

This knife performed very well in all categories. I rated it just a touch lower in the Big Wood Batoning section. Not because it was not up for the task, or I had an issues. But because the handle is a bit narrow on this knife. The handle makes using this knife a dream and yet is not as comfortable for this specific bone jarring work. In the end, it is a trade off you will have to decide on for yourself, but since I am only rating this one task, I marked it down a touch.

Once you move to smaller wood, it works like a dream. The impacts are not enough to be impacted by the handle size and it just works great! I am assuming that the continuous blade curve has something to do with this, and in a good axe face.

The sharpness of this one made making fuzz sticks and fine tinder incredible. I am surely going to miss this knife when it is gone!

Laconico

Awesome, awesome, awesome is about the only way I can describe this knife. I really wish I could get more wordy on this section for this knife, but I can’t think of much else to say. I don’t have anything negative to comment on, and I can only say awesome so many times! : )

Patrick

The Beast! In batoning large wood, mass is king. So, this thing certainly had the ability to get through any piece of wood that you wanted, given enough effort. Hence, the high score in that category.

As you start working to finer and finer work, this same mass starts taking its toll on the user. So, the scores go down and down. While it can perform all the tasks just fine, it is just not quite as elegant at them as the others.

Big Wood Batoning

Koyote 7
Noshtero 8
Bruce Culberson 9.5
Koster 8
SDS 5
Craig Wheatley 8
Stomper 9
Fiddleback 5
Rick 8
Laconico 9
Patrick 10

Medium Wood Batoning

Koyote 9
Noshtero 8
Bruce Culberson 9.5
Koster 8
SDS 9
Craig Wheatley 8
Stomper 8
Fiddleback 9
Rick 9.5
Laconico 9.5
Patrick 8

Small Wood Batoning and Fine Tinder Prep

Koyote 9
Noshtero 8
Bruce Culberson 9.5
Koster 7
SDS 8
Craig Wheatley 8
Stomper 8
Fiddleback 9
Rick 9.5
Laconico 9.5
Patrick 6

I did make a small video of the knives in use. Kind of cheesy, and poorly edited……but hey : )

[youtube]efgq28fEWr4[/youtube]

To Be Continued.....

Chopping

Let me first tell you how I decided to test these knives. I have to say, that I am not a fan of the 2x4 chopping test. It just doesn’t seem to make much sense to me. Being up here in the north, I try to avoid pine as a firewood because of the pitch. Pine is really soft compared to the woods I would normally go after, so I kind of figure “what is the point in chopping pine?

But guess what? That is exactly what I did. Why? Because I had 11 knives to test, and I was looking for wood consistency from knife to knife. At least if there were knots in a 2x4 I would be able to work around them, and chop on clear sections. With bark covered limbs, I just figured there were too many variables involved. So, while I am not a fan of it, I decided to keep it simple.

The testing…….first let me say, that none of these knives are what I consider a “good chopper.” Just the overall length of them is not impressive in getting through something relatively simple, like a pine 2x4. Doing that over and over was definitely more exhausting than I had planned!

I only snapped a few pics, and there was almost no way I was going to get some action pics being by myself.

Let me say, if I saw anyone chopping wood with an axe, and producing super small chips like these pictures show, I would immediately be calling technique foul! However, the lack of penetration was making it so that small chips were about all I was going to get. While I am on that topic, let me say one thing about technique. I love axes, and always will. I know my knife chopping technique is not going to be up to par with many other folks. However, since I am imparting my same crappy technique to all knives, I am hoping that I am at least consistent : ) Warning given : )

IMG_4840.jpg

Different knives being capable of different size chips.

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

When I got bored or fatigued with one knife, I set it down and move on to another notch.

IMG_4844.jpg

As you can see from the scale, the smaller knives were not going to fair so well. They were almost just making “marks” instead of chopping.

IMG_4845.jpg

Lord this was a long day!!! Getting through the wood with these tiny little chops was insane!

Here are some of my favs.

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4849.jpg

Koyote

This knife did pretty darn well. The grind compliments chopping (I think) and the comfort of the handle really showed here. Being both thin and light, this one was more of a “tap, tap, tap” chopper. But, it got the pieces of wood out of there.

I rated this one a 7.5

Noshtero

This knife did “good” at chopping. The handle was comfortable, but I kept getting a worried feeling about how far back my hand was sliding. Rearward hand movement in this task is common, and the handle had no way of giving me indication that it was happening, or capable of stopping it.

I rated this one a 7.

Bruce Culberson

Probably not the best overall blade shape and mass for this task. But, the sharpness and handle comfort kept this one high in the scores.

I rated this one an 8.

Koster

Here we go! The curve is really working here. While being a touch smaller than the others I gave similar rating, the “curve” shape of this knife, along with the bit of weight forward blade shape made this one work good. Nice!

I rated this one an 8.

SDS

Unfortunately, I am going to have to rate this fine knife low again. Small size almost led to no chopping ability. There is just no forward mass and chopping seems more like trying to push the blade through wood.

As an aside, if I wanted to get this knife through wood, I would hold it at an angle to the grain and baton away. However, chopping was the given task.

I rated this one a 5.

Craig Wheatley

This knife did very good. The forward mass and type of grind helped it out quite a bit.

I rated this one a 7.

Stomper

This is a fine knife, with good overall thickness, but the straight back design of it did not lend itself well to chopping. It seems with the straight back, the center of mass falls higher above the centerline of the knife. For the reason Koster’s knife did well, this blade shape worked in the opposite direction.

I rated this one a 6.

Fiddleback

Unfortunately, the size of this one led to the exact same conclusion as SDS’s knife : (

I rated this one a 5.

Rick

By now, you guys are going to think I am biased for this knife. But again, it did extremely well. Sharp and thin at the edge left it to get some of the best penetration, for some of the best chips, and therefore get through the wood. I also think the curved overall shape has a lot to do with it as well.

Unlike Patrick’s knife which relied on weight and mass (and chopped a touch better) this was like a more elegant chop. If that makes any sense. You can’t rely on a big heavy pounding, but more of a very light “let the knife do the work” kind of chop. I tried big heavy chops, and it just wasn’t working.

Nice and smooth works good. That also made it less fatiguing and very easy on the hand.

I rated this one an 8.5.

I have to admit, after the test was over, I kept beating on Rick’s knife : ) (Sorry Rick!). I was the sharpest knife in the bunch, so I figured “if I chop enough, I might get something to happen!” Well, the knife won, and I gave up. Still nice and minty.

IMG_4848.jpg

Laconico

While this is a very, very fine knife, it just wasn’t the best at chopping. I did fine, don’t get me wrong. But it was not as good as some of the others. Again, I think this comes back to two factors: 1) Straightness of the cutting edge and 2) Center of mass being very close to centerline with the more straight back of the knife. Good, but not great.

I rated this one a 7.

Patrick

Again, the beast! This one was not as elegant to use as Rick’s knife. But, you can not deny that the size and mass of this knife led to deeper penetration and better chopping than any other. So, I rated this one the highest.

I rated this one a 9.

Here is a summary.

Koyote 7.5
Noshtero 7
Bruce Culberson 8
Koster 8
SDS 5
Craig Wheatley 7
Stomper 6
Fiddleback 5
Rick 8.5
Laconico 7