Camp Knife/thrower?

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A long time ago when I was a kid I'd go to the mountain man rendezvous to sell my knives. I saw a lot of folks using their throwers as Camp knives. I even managed to put some working edges on a H&B Forge thrower I owned and it made for a pretty nice knife. I was kind of curious what others have been using for throwing and cutting. I've always had fun with a nice throwing knife out in the woods. Add in some ability to actually work beyond just a throwing implement and I am hooked! Currently I enjoy packing along a TruBal Bowie-Axe and a Branton/Emerson BETT thrower.

The main drawback to using a thrower as a camp knife is that many throwing knives are tempered back to a lot softer than "working knives", i.e., the mid 40s to very low 50s, to reduce the likelihood of chipping,snapping, etc.

From a user POV, that just means the working edge would require touching up and/or full effort sharpening more frequently. Not a big deal if you don't mind sharpening on a daily basis.

Except for half-spin throwing, I use a hammer grip for my rotational throwing, which makes for a little pucker factor in throwing "real knife" sharps. I prefer NOT to think I need gloves for throwing, although many people do wear gloves while throwing.

Oh I know they are not perfect but a knife tempered for throwing is right in the same hardness range as a hatchet or tomahawk and they do quite a bit of cutting before a sharpening. I'm not saying they are ideal cutters, just usable :) Thicker bevels and edges would of course be needed.

I agree, Quite usable. It's just that most of my throwers, though, are too thick (3/16" to 1/4") to take a decent edge unless I took them down a whole bunch. And since they are already heat treated, it would be real slow to thin them down enough. I'd want to take them down BEFORE HT as that would make sense if I wanted to make them user-throwers.

I have made prototype A36 knives that are the same size and thickness as my EDC fixed blades to practice "throwing without throwing" the higher Rc EDCs w/o worrying about chipping/snapping so that just in case I ever happened to NEED to throw my edc Fbs, I'd be used to the general balance and heft.

I'd just want to make sure and clean the blade w/ some soap/water before using it on my food after throwing it into some log that has been sitting exposed for who knows how long. There could be some toxin producing fungi/molds growing in the wood. If a person just happened to have a sensitivity to whatever is there - well, anaphylactic shock is a party-pooper. At a minimum, Montezuma's Revenge might rear its ugly head.

Here are a couple of my favorite "dual purpose" throwers!

And here is one I just finished up today for my next trip to the woods to hunt for stumps :) It is 11 5/8in overall with a 7in blade tip to handle. I made it from 1/4in thick 5160 with G10 scales. Overall finish is left rough since it's intended use is abuse level activities :D It weighs in at 17oz so it is stout but not overly heavy. Should "thunk" nicely. The balance point is right at the bevel shoulders.

A long time ago when I was a kid I'd go to the mountain man rendezvous to sell my knives. I saw a lot of folks using their throwers as Camp knives. I even managed to put some working edges on a H&B Forge thrower I owned and it made for a pretty nice knife. I was kind of curious what others have been using for throwing and cutting. I've always had fun with a nice throwing knife out in the woods. Add in some ability to actually work beyond just a throwing implement and I am hooked! Currently I enjoy packing along a TruBal Bowie-Axe and a Branton/Emerson BETT thrower.

I ordered a Tru-Bal Stinger for the same reason... A general purpose woods knife that can also be thrown.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of my favorite "dual purpose" throwers!

And here is one I just finished up today for my next trip to the woods to hunt for stumps :) It is 11 5/8in overall with a 7in blade tip to handle. I made it from 1/4in thick 5160 with G10 scales. Overall finish is left rough since it's intended use is abuse level activities :D It weighs in at 17oz so it is stout but not overly heavy. Should "thunk" nicely. The balance point is right at the bevel shoulders.

I might have to put in an order for one of your throwing knives. That would be Siegle number three for me.

I have thrown nearly every fixed knife I ever owned. I think of it as a bonus feature. :cool:

Of course some have made for pitiful throwers - still - I try them out just to be sure.;)

I like your knew one Bill.

Ray

A long time ago when I was a kid I'd go to the mountain man rendezvous to sell my knives.

The man who first taught me to throw a knife and tomahawk and shoot a rifle worth a damn was a larger than-life mountain man. The moment you said that I had a rush of memories from being 10 years old and meeting a man with a bearclaw necklace and a bearclaw hat. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Back