Campanion ?

I have a chance to get a Campanion model but I have never handled one. I have handled a BK7, BK9 and the mag camp. Edges were awesome. My worry is that the Campanion edge might be to thick. Can someone correct me.

I had a companion at one point and got rid of it. For the size of the knife it just seemed too big, if that makes any sense at all. It just seemed a little clumsy to me. It is a tough a$$ blade just like the rest of them.

I'd rather carry a small, nimble blade and a larger chopper.

The blade is thick 1/4 inch. Still, this is my favorite knife. Small enough to carry anywear, big enough for alot of jobs. A good all purpse go anywear knife.

you can thin the edge if you must. people carve spoons with these and do fine work.

Bladite

GET IT!!!!! I personally think its the king of the Beckers. Seriously, I do. I am trying to trade a guy at work a CS Recon 1 folder for a BK2, Gen 1. :eek: WTF, I know, but i really want one and this one has been closet kept and never used. He doesn't even know what he's got, "Its a gift, so n so bought me".

I say go for it. I can make toothpick fig 4s with the thing, and split hardwood. You wanna see the toothpick fig 4? Oh, I got it, just you wait and see.

Moose

I have a chance to get a Campanion model but I have never handled one. I have handled a BK7, BK9 and the mag camp. Edges were awesome. My worry is that the Campanion edge might be to thick. Can someone correct me.

I have one coming...I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I wanted one at Blade so bad i couldn't stand it but things just didn't go right for that to happen then.

I want to see that tooth pick figure 4 just to say I've seen one :)

BOOYAH!!!!! Made with a BK2, with a partially atrophied hand, that came out of the cast 4 weeks prior. It was my version of home therapy. :D

Of course, just handling a BK2 "Beast" was therapy in my book, kinda like chasin' Lady around the house, good for the soul:D:D

100_1301.jpg

Moose

BOOYAH!!!!! Made with a BK2, with a partially atrophied hand, that came out of the cast 4 weeks prior. It was my version of home therapy. :D

Of course, just handling a BK2 "Beast" was therapy in my book, kinda like chasin' Lady around the house, good for the soul:D:D

100_1301.jpg

Moose

kinda chunky lookin figure four there :)

make one with a single toothpick :> tricky! more efficient

Bladite

Caine - if you've handled a BK7 you know how the grivory feels in hand.
the BK2 has almost identical specs as the ESEE5 at half the price.
while the edge geometry will be a bit thicker than an FFG 3/16" thick blade, there are an awful lot of folks who find it very functional.

It is a thick blade, that is what I like about it. I can abuse the shit out of this knife and not have to worry about if I am being to hard on it.

I got so lucky at a Gunshow a few months back and found a like new condition Camillus Becker Campanion. It's one of the styles made for the Military with a partially serrated edge. A great knife and I only gave $35 for it! (the guy had no idea what he had)
It's so solidly built and yes a bit heavy, but a great chopper, can still make feather sticks with it and even slice vegetables for the stew pot. You can't go wrong with a BK2.

Great knife! I have an original Blackjack Campanion with the grey epoxy finish, in 1095 steel. It takes a hair-shaving edge, and is stout enough to pry open a bank vault (which is why I keep it in the car for an emergency tool).

I'm in the extreme minority and find the BK2 to be a bit too ungainly/cumbersome to be used a small knife/carver, but still not an excellent chopper despite the extra weight. The crewman, however...

Great knife! I have an original Blackjack Campanion with the grey epoxy finish, in 1095 steel. It takes a hair-shaving edge, and is stout enough to pry open a bank vault (which is why I keep it in the car for an emergency tool).

I remembered this thread, and I just found these pictures sitting over on a server I seldom visit. Just thought some might like to see what Alberta Ed is talking about. The Blackjack version was thick enough to pry bank vaults!

Plus I couldn't help myself when it came to resurrecting the toothpick figure-4. :D

Campanions2.jpg

Campanions1.jpg

I'm in the extreme minority and find the BK2 to be a bit too ungainly/cumbersome to be used a small knife/carver, but still not an excellent chopper despite the extra weight. The crewman, however...

resign, while you still have dignity ;)

Back