Can you cut down rapid rivets?

Diomedes Industries

Gold Member
Basic Member
I have a BUNCH of rapid rivets that are a bit too long - can you cut them down to size and still use them?

Thanks,

TF

yes, use a file or belt sander to grind them down to length. Just make sure you dont close the tube, if you crimp it the wont work well.

This comes from the Stolman bible.

I don't see it in Stohlman's 'Art of Making Leather Cases' - is there a different bible?

Also, how do they work? Does the stem mushroom out into the bottom cap? Does it fold over?

TF

Last edited:
Hold the phone!!
I did a quick test...the rapid rivets I have come in two sizes....the male parts come in 1/2" length and 5/16" ( Tal I'll explain the male and female thing to you later)...excuse the picture quality but....that's just me.
The first is the 1/2"...I grind it down to about 3/8" and the male no longer fits into the female....hate when that happens....so no can do, it will not work.
The length was tapered.

The 3rd and 4th pix show the 5/16" ground down to about 18"....still fits....it will work...size does not matter, I keep telling her.....
This version was not tapered.

Al must have been talkin bout the smaller version.....

Attachments

• speed rivits 001.jpg
    speed rivits 001.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 16
  • speed rivits 002.jpg
    speed rivits 002.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 14
  • speed rivits 003.jpg
    speed rivits 003.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 16
  • speed rivits 004.jpg
    speed rivits 004.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Okay - I will give mine a test - looks like with the other - you may be able to tweak them - but not flat out cut them down.

TF

Good info Rayban! Some of mine are straight I guess, I've never had a fit problem when I trimmed mine down. Trimming is especially good if the rivet is too awful over height as it will bend and offset your pieces.

and yes, the post mushrooms into the cap. :)

To cut the straight shank ones shorter I clip them off with side cutters - yes this crimps the shank, but I then take my Dremel with the sanding head and 120grit paper and carefully grind off the two "points" giving me a nice taper which will fit in the cap.....

I checked out mine last night - looks like I can just put them on my grinding wheel and 'cut'
them down to size. I don't think mine are tapered - but if I get them low enough - I will use Chuck's suggestion.

So - how do these things work so well anyway?

TF

It is amazing how strong they are for being so thin and fragile looking.

So - how do these things work so well anyway?

TF

I'm pretty sure the male part just expands the female part, then gets stuck! :eek:

Seriously, though, I think it's just the shank expanding the sleeve...thus, the need for a taper on the shank. They ARE fairly strong, but they can be forced apart. I've even reused some of these before (on projects for myself) with no apparent compromise in strength. I simply compressed the sleeve a little, so the shank would fit tightly again. It you're worried about them being forced apart, you could put some epoxy or something in the sleeve part before you put them together.

It you're worried about them being forced apart, you could put some epoxy or something in the sleeve part before you put them together.

BINGO!!! good idea....I'm doing a welding rod quiver for an iron worker buddy, and I think I'll do this:thumbup:

Back