Can you really shave with your knife?

Im sure we all like to sharpen out knives sharp enough so it shaves hair, but im curious, how many here have ever actually shaved facial hair with their knife? I test it on my arm to know it shaves hair. One time going to hang out with friends i realized i hadn't shaved. My griptillian hadnt been sharpened recerntly so it didnt really do anything. THis made me wonder if anyone ever really uses their knife to shave in such situations? Recently i figured, see how it works on facial hair. It wasn't comfortable. Felt like it was pulling the hairs.
Maybe facial hair is too rough? Maybe it just isnt practical to put an edge that shaves well onto a normal knife?

Personally, I don't have the guts to try it, but the thought has passed my mind in the past.

I shaved once in a moving car one the way to a job interview (I'd forgotten to shave properly) with a SAK. However I was much younger and with much thinner facial hair.

Some of my knives I could probably shave my face with, but I wouldn't want to. Probably wouldn't be a very close shave either.

I tried once out of interest but stopped after the first little stroke. My facial hair is much thicker and more stubborn than the hair on my arms. And the sensitive skin in your face won't like it. I'll stick to my Gillette. Or to my stubbles. :D

For me, It's hard to even shave with a straight razor. My hair is thick, and my skin is sensitive. I shaved maybe an inch long patch of hair and decided it probably wasnt a good idea to continue.

I ask myself alot..."How did those old guys do this?!"

As far as shaving with a knife... I shaved half my face with an Opinel when I was younger, and my facial hair was thinner. My Opinel has the thinnest and sharpest edge of any knife I own.

Um, about a week ago i did.

Was up too late, an up too early, rushed in the rain room.

Went about my day and noticed after getting out the house i missed a good portion of my face, well out come the 705, and clean shaven again i was.

I tried a full shave with the cream, it went well, if knife wasn't so hard to clean back to perfect again i may do it more often.

Silly i know, but the shave i got, beat them damn safetly razors by a mile.

Now i am really, really considering a decent straight razor, if a knife can clean that well, i am hooked.

WR

When I first got my sharpmaker I tried it, as I was becoming bald all over my body. My Endura 3 was able to shave pretty well, but it agitated the skin more than my Fusion, for sure. Most of that agitation was probably from not using shaving cream. All in all I was surprised that the knife did so well.

Yeah, you can shave your face with a sharp knife, but I've found it's not that comfortable, even if you use shaving cream.

I shave with straight razors, and even with a straight razor if you don't have it properly honed and stropped it won't give a comfortable shave. A straight razor is much sharper than a knife due to the blade being much thinner.

Even with a properly sharpened straight razor, you still need to prep your face for a comfortable shave, especially if you have sensative skin.

I once had a knife that could do it. It was a Microtech. I don't remember the name, but I think it was Option 2, the little credit-card-sized knife which had a very thin edge and nice wide belly. I think any knife with an edge that could shave a fully developed growth of stubble is too delicate for EDC. The first time it tackles a stack of cardboard boxes, the edge is gone. My Opinion only.

Daniel

I do so on a fairly regular basis; at least a time or two per week. I agree I haven't gotten my knife sharp enough to make it as comfortable as a new disposable razor, but it's bearable- about like a disposable that's been used many times. I always shave just after stepping out of the shower without even drying my face first, (or even while in the shower) which really helps soften the stubble.

I learned to shave with a straight razor when I was in the sixth or seventh grade. Still too scared to try shaving my back with one though... :D :D

J.J. used to do axe shaving, there are pictures of it on his website. A straight razor is just a knife after all, and there are lots of people sharpening knives far past the point that you can shave cleanly with them.

-Cliff

Yes, I can.

I can and have shaved my face with my Benchmade 550 Griptilian. I've also done it with a Spyderco Calypso Jr, which I think is one of the best knives ever made.

:D

Kellam's owner has photos of him shaving with a puukko, ask him.
I used a sak afor a cleanup, I missed a stripe on my cheek. I burn through mach3s in about 3 shaves-my facial hair is tough like bull.

One could "shave" with his/her knife I guess , if it came down to it.
The question though is why ? Unless it was TEOTWAWKI it's far more practical to buy a disposable razor , knives arent meant for shaving , razors are. Use the correct tool for the job , IMO :)

Shaving my face with a knife is one of the ways that I evaluate the quality of the steel in it. A factor in shaving comfort is how accute the final edge is honed. The only part of the blade that really matters is the leading edge for the width of about a hair diameter. It is pretty sensitive. I really notice a difference between a 440 series stainless and AUS-8 for example. The AUS-series alloys make good razors.

If I have to shave at work and just have my old SAK I will strop it with my submicron diamond compound and soak my beard with hot soapy water first. The SAK alloy is not as good as AUS-8.

I once used my Laguiole to clean up an area that I missed during my morning shave. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't enjoyable either.

Back