Can you replace the Victorinox Compact’s combo tool with a standard can opener?

In my opinion, this would have much better Phillips screw capability. Would grinding off the “blade” part of the can opener help it fit in at all?

No, it's too thick. You can only put the can opener there if you remove the spacer and the main blade. You can replace the main blade with a cap lifter, but you have to modify the spring. An electrician blade might also fit in place of the main blade because it's short, but it would need to have the correct angle to clear the end of the can opener. I'm not 100% sure, but there may be two different versions of the electrician blade with different angles, but I could be confusing it with a different blade.

Maybe you could fit the secondary blade on the other side opposite the can opener, but I've never tried it. I haven't done any modding for a while and all my stuff is put away, otherwise I'd try it out myself right now, but I don't think it would work because the can opener doesn't have the correct angle... it's the opposite of what you would theoretically need... you MAYBE could make it work but it's hard to tell just by looking at the parts. It's something you'd just have to test, and you would need the spacer, of course. If it doesn't fit, maybe you could shorten the blade...but yeah it's a pretty big compromise already...

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I would prefer to keep the full size blade so I guess this mod isn’t doable.

In my opinion, this would have much better Phillips screw capability.
I disagree with it being ‘better’. They just have different strengths. I’ve hung doors with the combo tool as the main driver. YMMV.
Would grinding off the “blade” part of the can opener help it fit in at all?
Yes, but thinning the tool down and crinking the tip so it’s closer to ‘flat’ works. But backspring clearance is also needed to retain the hook. Still doable.

Thanks for the response. I would prefer to keep the full size blade so I guess this mod isn’t doable.
Just need the right plan, parts and a little know how.

Back