Canal Street...any thoughts?

Any of you guys have any experience with Canal street knives, a few of their patterns got my attention mainly that three blade cannitler.

How are they in relation to Gec...quality, fit and finish, sturdiness etc.

I like them very well. They have excellent F&F. They have much lighter springs than GEC. Watch out, some of the early ones were 420HC. I don't care for those.

I like them very well. They have excellent F&F. They have much lighter springs than GEC. Watch out, some of the early ones were 420HC. I don't care for those.

What are the newer ones? I've been tempted, because I like their congress pattern a lot, but I don't like 420HC either, but that seems to be all I've found.

My Moon Pie Trapper is one of my favorite slipjoints. Fit and finish are right up there with Schatt & Morgan.

I was a bit disappointed in my first Canal Street purchase (read comparison review with scans here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431947 ). But I have since bought two more (a Ring Opener and a fixed blade hunting knife) that are very, very nice.

Here's the fixed blade from Canal Street.

CanalStreetDropPoint.jpg

The heat treating Canal Street did on the 420 series steel they use is superb. You would be surprised at the edge you can keep on the stuff. It isn't soft by any means. I wouldn't compare it to other experiences with 420 unless it was to see what decent heat treating can do.
Greg

I have a Canal Street Half Moon Trapper in 14-4 MoV (Latrobe Steel equivalent of 154CM). Excellent fit and finish. The balance and sizing of the design is well nigh perfect as well.

Highly recommended.

I have three.

The three blade cannitler in D2 is suberb.

The Half Moon Trapper in 14-4 MoV has singnificant blade wobble and I am sending it back for repair, but the rest of the knife is excellent

The small stockman was badly below par and am sending it back, no idea what they will do with it...

I have a few including the above mentioned half moon trapper, along with a large folding hunter, stockman, & D2 fixed blade (now discontinued).
They are all superb knives with beautiful fit, finish, grinds and edges.

I understand that they will be issuing more patterns in the 14-4 Latrobe steel used in the half moon trapper.

The Canal Street knives IMO are more refined and "pocket friendly" than the GEC knives,
but I really like those as well and have picked up about a half dozen of them.

Both companies are turning out great product. :thumbup:

The 2007 BF knife is a Canal Street Canittler...I think it's a darn fine knife for the price.
2007BFCanittler.jpg

They do a lot in D2 and a top of the range stainless.

That said, I don't favour them much. Yes they look good and the jigging/finish is good(usually) I like a decent GEC style spring but CS snap and springs are just too weak for my tastes. Single blade Trapper I have is too soft in the spring to use. I think their shield is ugly and cheap looking...too coin-like.
The fixed blade I have (like the one in a recent post)is none too well finished,tang&scales proud,not nice to hold,sheath looks good but it won't hold the knife at all. But other forum member have had good experiences and I respect that.

GEC is where it's at in my book.

T I think their shield is ugly and cheap looking...too coin-like.

+1 on that. The shield they use doesn't look right on anything they make, IMO. It's the only reason I don't own anything made by Canal Street yet. Is that petty? By all accounts, they make great knives. Good looking ones, too, except for that blasted shield.

Normally I don't like engraving on bolsters but KnifeHead's canoe looks classy! Nice knife and pattern.

I like the Canal Street knives so much that I've sort of overlooked the handle shield.

Last edited:
I have two Half Moon Trappers in 14-4 MoV one with Elk the othe red Stag - I really like the FF on both - think I'll have to pocket one to carry tomorrow. Thumbs up here.

I think they're excellent. I agree with Greg's assesment of the heat treat. I'm currently EDC'ing a reverse gunstock with the 420 steel baldes, and it holds an excellent edge. They're slowly introducing a new line-up with additional steels, mostly 440C, D-2, and 14-4CrMo on the folders. Here's a little melange of their wares, top down; Buffalo horn split spring whittler, new 1/2 moonpie trapper with 14-4 CrMo blades, new Moonpie trapper with 440C blades (very hefty at over 3/4" wide handles!), current EDC reverse gunstock with 420, and a new drop point hunter with 440C. IMO you can't go wrong with the canittler as an overall good user (see Knifehead's post above), it's got an excellent blade assortment and great D-2 steel. The master works off the two springs, just as a true whittler does, so it's a nice hefty blade, yet tapers to a nice narrow edge, and it's very pocket friendly. Sorry about the dark blades in the scan, it does a lousy job picking up polished blades, although the 14-4 scotchbrite finish came out better. Another thing, the blades are razor sharp out of the package, somewhat of an unusual occurence nowadays.

21j68i9.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Last edited:
I have one of their muskrats. A Super knife and would not hesitate to have another one. I am very happy with my Canal Street.

Back