Cane Recommendations

Hi guys,

This might be more appropriate in the Great Outdoors forum, not really sure... we used to have the Cane/Stick/Knife subforum but I don't see it anywhere. Thought I would try here.

I am looking for anyone with recommendations on a cane for mobility support. I have a few, but I would like to get one with a straight handle rather than the curved ones I own. The uniformity is more aesthetically appealing to me. I'd like to give it a try at least. Something that looks like what many trekking poles look like, but more cane oriented.

At the insistence of some family I did get a set of cheaper trekking poles, and it would be great to use one as a cane stand in. The issues I am having though, is that they are probably not designed to bear my full weight if necessary, being poles used for hiking by regular, able-bodied folk. That, and I am really not a fan of the "shock absorber" things, anyone with trekking pole experience will know what I mean. I am sure it is fine for what it is, but it doesn't help me to feel secure using it as a mobility tool or true load bearing device. It would be great if thee "trekking pole look" came in cane form, but, it's tough to find. Of course I can adjust the poles down, but still, they don't feel as secure and sturdy to me and I would hate to risk going out with one and having it fail.

Any recommendations for a straight (preferably aluminum and adjustable) cane would be appreciated, ladies and gents. Thanks.

I have a Leki Wanderfreund that is adjustable. It's rated at 300 pounds. I have not been able to get it to collapse. They make poles with or with out "shock absorber" things.

Leki and some others make fixed poles cut to your specs.

I don't remember the brand but I had a aluminum adjustable cane. It had a wide handle grip area that was better than the standard round handles for hurting and fatiguing my palm. I got it at a drugstore.

I am not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I used a lot of canes before my hip replacement. The best one was a relatively inexpensive Alex cane. Aluminum with a 300 lb capacity but it had a curved handle which you are looking to avoid. You should look at Fashionable Canes (they have a website but I'm not sure I can link it--its easy enough to find). They have a variety of canes including straight knob handled canes.

They also have hiking staffs and canes.

IMG_2196.jpg IMG_2197.jpg Solid Aluminum Walking Canes makes Titanium and Aluminum canes that are very strong and have several handle options.

Burger canes mostly does sword canes, but you can get them without a blade. They also offer a cane that can be converted to a hiking staff. Not adjustable, so no fear of collapsing.

http://www.swordcane.com/

When I came across the statement " walking canes are not designed to hold your weight " that changed my searching !! I now have a KABAR defensive cane which DOES hold my weight ! That has the traditional curved handle which I' happy with.

Just a note that Komperdell makes a treking pole without shock absorbers with a cane grip. They are on sale at Sierra Trading Post too.

I will echo what tiguy7 said. Check out solidaluminumcane.com. Ted makes a really badass aluminum and titanium cane. I just ordered my second ti cane. He only made a limited number and I do not believe anyone else has produced anything like it.

A.G.Russell sells a great walking cane. It has an elegant handle for a comfortable grip. The length can be adjusted about 6". I generally walk with an oak crooktop but I carry this AGR Traveller when I'm travelling because it also folds up on its shock cord.

Back