"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Maz lived across the street from my uncle at the time of that game. That was one happy neighborhood!
Here's a memento of that series. I've had it since I was 10 years old.
I don't mean to rub it in Alan! joeradza joeradza
7FuA6lL.jpg

7FuA6lL.jpg
Was a good year for Pennsylvania. Didn't the Eagles win the NFL Championship that year? After the game, Lombardi said the Packers would never lose another championship game. And they didn't, as long as he was with them (approximately another decade).

7FuA6lL.jpg
Oh well. You can't change history. The wild thing was how dominant the Yankees were in the 3 games they won. And then a bad bounce of a ball hit Tony Kubek in the throat and the upset was on. All I remember is Yogi Berra playing left field at the end and looking up as Mazeroski's ball sailed over the wall.

Oh well. You can't change history. The wild thing was how dominant the Yankees were in the 3 games they won. And then a bad bounce of a ball hit Tony Kubek in the throat and the upset was on. All I remember is Yogi Berra playing left field at the end and looking up as Mazeroski's ball sailed over the wall.
That's the first World Series I can remember paying any attention to, a couple of months before my 9th birthday. That summer of 1960 is the first season I remember really "following" the Detroit Tigers. I can still remember the starting outfielders, the infielders except for 2nd base, and several pitchers, but not the catcher. (I looked up the 1960 Tigers roster yesterday. Frank Bolling was the 2nd baseman and I don't remember him as a Tiger at all. Info on who played how many games at what positions indicated that the Tigers had 3 or 4 guys who caught in at least parts of 30 to 81 games each, and none of the names rang a bell for me. Looks like they had 3 "dependable" starting pitchers, but lots of guys were used in the 4th slot of the pitching rotation.)

Anyway, that summer I learned that I should root for the Tigers and whatever team the "hated Yankees" were playing, so the surprising World Series outcome was what we Detroit fans were hoping for, after finishing the season in 6th place. (Frank Lary, a starting pitcher for the Tigers that year, was known to Tiger fans as The Yankee Killer because he has a 27-10 record against the Yankees from 1955-1961.)

- GT

Learned a lesson last night. I seldom carry any of my “special” knives on a day to day basis. There was a smoky fire in my apartment building last night and believe it or not the first thing I grabbed after getting dressed was my Balistreri saddlehorn. I guess it’s time to update my “go” bag to include a few luxuries.[url=https://postimg.cc/87GJFj1W][/URL]

Learned a lesson last night. I seldom carry any of my “special” knives on a day to day basis. There was a smoky fire in my apartment building last night and believe it or not the first thing I grabbed after getting dressed was my Balistreri saddlehorn. I guess it’s time to update my “go” bag to include a few luxuries.[url=https://postimg.cc/87GJFj1W][/URL]
Glad you're ok 👍

I'd grab that knife on my way out the door too, Alan. Glad to hear you are OK. Hope there wasn't too much damage to the building.

We got some snow overnight. Has spring sprung?
I am contemplating which knives I should carry when I venture outside to dig out my wife's car.
DTnRx4X.jpg
We are awash in Daffodils and Cherry Blossoms!! One of those moments when I am glad I moved out to the West Coast!! 😲 :cool:

We are awash in Daffodils and Cherry Blossoms!! One of those moments when I am glad I moved out to the West Coast!! 😲 :cool:
Oh, our daffodils were about ready to bloom. I'm not sure if they will now!
I'm sure you recall the spring snow storms of Western and Central New York fondly, Charlie! 😂 ;)

Oh, our daffodils were about ready to bloom. I'm not sure if they will now!
I'm sure you recall the spring snow storms of Western and Central New York fondly, Charlie! 😂 ;)
Oh, I recall them often, that and the distance from them I now have!!🤣🤣🤣
According to my mother, my shoveling snow was saving my Father from a heart attack!!!:oops: I guess she was right!!:rolleyes:

Back