CarpScot's Knives

CarpScot, you have a very nice collection of fine knives.
:thumbup:Thank you for sharing the great images of them with us, I enjoyed it immensely.

Doug :)

I handled and sheathed these two ZDP-189 Mules. They were both gifted to friends. :thumbup:

Desert ironwood burl with black liners and nickel-silver hardware.
ZDPMule21.jpg

Dyed and stabilized buckeye burl with stainless hardware.
IMG_2260.jpg

These both came out beautifully CS. Your friends are certainly blessed. :D:thumbup::cool:

Forged 1095 Matthew Bailey with ironwood scales.

This will be a special gift for a young lady who was quite taken with the previous knife that I ordered from Mr. Bailey. :D Matt did an excellent job on both the knife and sheath and was a pleasure to work with. I can't recommend him highly enough. :thumbup:

Bailey3.jpg

Bailey4.jpg

Bailey5.jpg

Last edited:
This knife was made by me and is the first that I have put my name etch on. I sent it off to my father yesterday afternoon. I hope that he likes it. :)

For some reason my etch appears off kilter in these pictures but it doesn't look that way in person. :( Perhaps my camera has been drinking again.

KnifeforDad1.jpg

KnifeforDad2.jpg

KnifeforDad3.jpg

KnifeforDad4.jpg

Hah! Bonner, Mt.....All joking aside, you have some pretty cool knives carpscot.:thumbup: And your picture taking skills are 100x better than me.

You have great tastes in knives. I agree with you about the quality of Dan Crotts' knives - they are very high on the bang for buck scale. I've got a myrtlewood Model 2 and a couple others.

You have great tastes in knives. I agree with you about the quality of Dan Crotts' knives - they are very high on the bang for buck scale. I've got a myrtlewood Model 2 and a couple others.

The myrtlewood Model 2 and ironwood Model 8 that I have of Dan's are all I can ask for in a knife. In an odd way they really put a damper on my collecting/accumulating because I feel like I already have the perfect knife for me. :)

I made these next four. They are from my second little batch and and I think that they came out better than my first ones. I did my etch a little differently. The shine looks better than the black IMO but I still have to get the depth right. The handles will get a final buff after I've made up the sheaths.

My big thanks to John for helping me out so much. Hopefully my next knives will showcase what he so graciously showed me about grinding. :D I've got a ways to go but I'm enjoying it so far. :)

Redwood
WarnieforMatt.jpg

Buckeye
BT.jpg

Rosewood
Rosewood.jpg

Red Mallee
Mallee.jpg

Very nice collection and pic's......
Also nice work on the ones you made !

I just finished this one up today. It has wenge scales and a belt finish that runs the length of the blade. I kinda like it and plan on making it my new sandwich knife. :)

Sandwich2.jpg

wow!! i had no idea you were making knives!!!

i love the full height grind, ive always kinda wished dozier would offer similar grinds.

the sammich knife is fantastic!! great stuff scottish carpenter!

what kind of steel? heat treat?

Hey Morimotom

I won a KMG grinder in a raffle around Christmas and have been playing around with knifemaking as funds and time allow. John Doyle (countryboycansurvive here on the forums) was kind enough to invite me to his shop for some demonstrations on proper grinding a few weeks ago. It was a huge help as well as a fun day. :) I'm hoping that my future knives will show a big improvement as a result of his help but as of now I'm just finishing out what I already had sitting around.

I've been working solely in A2 but will be trying out some O1 soon. Brad at Peters' Heat Treating has done all of my heat treating and I've been really happy with the results. He tests the Rc on each blade and guarantees it to be within a point of whatever you specify. My first few knives I had him shoot for 58 Rc but decided to go for 60 Rc on my last few.

As you can tell I'm a big Dozier/Crotts fan and that has really influenced the direction that I've been going with my own stuff. Unfortunately, a few of my first knives came out too close to what they are doing for me to be comfortable. I gave one to my father (the one with green canvas micarta pictured above) and the rest went into a box in my shop. I'm hoping to get to a point where my stuff has my own unique stamp on it and until then I'll just keep filling that box up. I'd rather be someone who never puts out a decent knife than someone who even unintentionally makes others' designs.

Below is the first knife that I actually completed, though I had ground out several blades at that point. I posted it in the knifemakers' section back in March but never did so here.

FirstKnife1.jpg

FirstKnife2.jpg

FirstKnife4.jpg

FirstKnife3.jpg

These two followed shortly thereafter.

SecondKnife1.jpg

ThirdKnife1.jpg

...and finally here was my first try at the sandwich knife.

Cocobolo1.jpg

Cocobolo2.jpg

It was suggested by several people that I make the neck of the handle a little taller and extend it back a bit as well. The wenge scaled knife is one of three attempts to incorporate that feedback. The neck isn't any taller but the handle is a half inch or so longer.

Anyway, I hope that I didn't go on too much and actually answered your questions. :eek:

Last edited:
yes, thx for all the info. they all have a very clean lines and a very "finished/polished" look. i would say you are well on your way to finding your own identity and style.

i would be very interested in something like the sandwich, but with about a 6" blade for kitchen duties. i really like the lines on that one.

any plans on working with a steel a bit more stainless? even d2?

yes, thx for all the info. they all have a very clean lines and a very "finished/polished" look. i would say you are well on your way to finding your own identity and style.

i would be very interested in something like the sandwich, but with about a 6" blade for kitchen duties. i really like the lines on that one.

any plans on working with a steel a bit more stainless? even d2?

I'd like to use D2 in the future as it is one of my favorites. It is too expensive for me to work with on these learner knives that I'm making though. Right now I'm just trying to form a basic skill set that I can build upon. I hope to be able to use the spendier steels and be doing more complicated designs in about six months or so.

I'll try to make a knife with a handle similar to that on the sandwich knife but with a longer blade just to try out the pattern. :)

I snapped a few more pictures of recently completed knives. My grinds are getting better I think.

Wharncliffe with black canvas micarta and grey liners. I've been using this as a utility/shop knife for the last couple weeks and I'm pretty happy with it. A slight patina has begun to form from my daily apple. :thumbup:

BCM1.jpg

BCM2.jpg

This one has cocobolo scales and black liners. I screwed the pooch on the etch a bit by using a stencil that is past its prime. The handle profile needs some refinement and it will see EDC duty until I can figure out how to improve it. No better way to pin down what is wrong with a handle than to hold it as often as possible IMO.

Cocobolo1-1.jpg

Cocobolo2-1.jpg

Green canvas micarta and white liners. I like this blade shape and was really happy with how the knife turned out. It was a bit difficult for me to photograph. The coloring in the second and third pictures are closer to how it looks in real life than it is in the first.

GCM1-2.jpg

GCM2.jpg

GCM3.jpg

The final knife has the redwood burl and black liners combo that I've used a fair amount in the past. I'm really starting to grow fond of this profile and hope to make it my standard.

RedwoodEDC1.jpg

RedwoodEDC2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I started making some knives again and have eight or so near completion that I will post some pictures of when finished. This knife is a birthday gift for a friend and doesn't have the final edge on it yet. I am waiting to do that until she lets me know what kind of sheath she wants and I make one up or send it off to Kiah for kydex.

JacisKnife1.jpg

JacisKnife2.jpg

Back