Carrying a traditional in Ireland

Thank you for this.... it is much like what I saw in my goober search... that's why I wanted other folks' opinion, to verify whether it's really that restrictive.... apparently it is.

Guess that's what becomes of being subjects, instead of citizens. ... the US is headed that way politically, as well, I'm afraid...
Well, the Irish are NOT subjects they are citizens of the Republic of Ireland. Britons are citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland take a look in a modern passport....Either way it's no use basking in some imagined idea of citizen as a free agent any more. The laws in Ireland on this are clearly unhinged, but they are the law. If you can't sharpen knives then how can you have kitchen knives, how can these two men actually sell any knife to anybody in the Republic of Ireland?? It's all about control of people for the sake of control, soon knife forums will be closed down or access to them forbidden as undesirable. As Orwell said, when a country declares war it primarily declares war on its own people.

That was unnecessary. Have it your way. And no, it’s not like people who don’t wear a seatbelt.
I am sure you mean well but.

it’s not my way,he could be jailed in Ireland on your advice.
They mostly refer to a knife as a weapon even a quick search shows what can happen and the tone.

A ten-month jail term was imposed on a man who fled from gardaí with a kitchen knife stuffed down the back of his trousers.

The culprit pulled out the knife during the pursuit and discarded it but gardaí retrieved the knife and arrested the accused.

Judge Olann Kelleher said: “Carrying a knife in Cork city is a very serious matter. He knew exactly what he was doing — when the guards came he ran away with the knife.”
The incident occurred on February 21.
At Cork District Court, Judge Olann Kelleher imposed a ten-month jail term on 22-year-old Luke Cronin of Mount St Joseph’s Close, Gurranabraher.

Either way it's no use basking in some imagined idea of citizen as a free agent any more.
Yes, believe me, our status over here is beginning to head that way, as I stated before. I believe that the citizens of the UK are still called subjects of the royalty, are they not?
Either way, it's very close to being simply semantics.... the end results are very likely to be the same in a few years....
Thankfully, we still have many freedoms not enjoyed by Europeans... hopefully we will continue to do so for quite some time.

But I didn't intend to make this a political thing.... just a legal thing. It appears that, legally, I cannot carry even the most innocent of pocket knives in Ireland. That is sad.... not the end of the world, mostly just inconvenient...

I'm sure I will still enjoy the trip.... going back to the "home country".... 😁

Make sure it has a cap lifter.

;)

C3zFYaI.jpg

Ireland-friendly. 😉

I am sure you mean well but.

it’s not my way,he could be jailed in Ireland on your advice.
They mostly refer to a knife as a weapon even a quick search shows what can happen and the tone.

A ten-month jail term was imposed on a man who fled from gardaí with a kitchen knife stuffed down the back of his trousers.

The culprit pulled out the knife during the pursuit and discarded it but gardaí retrieved the knife and arrested the accused.

Judge Olann Kelleher said: “Carrying a knife in Cork city is a very serious matter. He knew exactly what he was doing — when the guards came he ran away with the knife.”
The incident occurred on February 21.
At Cork District Court, Judge Olann Kelleher imposed a ten-month jail term on 22-year-old Luke Cronin of Mount St Joseph’s Close, Gurranabraher.
Your example is completely irrelevant to marchone’s personal experience of traveling and using his small knife for a legitimate purpose. Just like it’s not the same as not wearing a seatbelt.

Er, I think that anybody in any country running away from police officers with a kitchen knife stuffed down the back of his trousers (how CAN you run like that?? Just try it...:D:eek:) is very likely to get a criminal conviction & likely already has one.... So it's hardly a good example of repressive knife laws....

The term EDC is used in the video, this might be of relevence: If you say to a police officer I Every Day Carry this implies habitual and intentional behaviour whatever the context, thus illegal in their terms. If you have a knife about you for a specific purpose, trade, gardening, fishing, food prep it's really not like being found with a kitchen knife on your person because nobody carries those around unless in a knife roll as a chef, they carry it for one purpose- cheap offensive weapon.

All this is very depressing, it just shows how the media -official & social- can hypnotise people into creating& approving more and more laws that criminalize all manner of behaviours when there are already and have been, severe penalties for those who commit knife crime i.e. those whose intention is to use knives as weapons. Surveillance, it's for your own good, we're enfocing that.

C3zFYaI.jpg

Ireland-friendly. 😉
Don't you be too sure, that edge can be sharpened :eek: And you could THREATEN not to open somebody's beer OMG. But wait there are no bottles anymore...suspicious...and the colour of the handle looks horribly like Black & Tan o_O You're under arrest!🏃‍♂️ Cultural appropriation of Scout too....

Looks pointy and tactical to me :eek: Anyway, why are you carrying a pencil?? I mean nobody does handwriting anymore or makes things, got to be suspect:( Only blunt ended pencils allowed!

Last edited:
In the US, there is sometimes a misunderstanding of freedoms enjoyed by people in Europe, and the tendency to assume that all EU/European countries/regions are the same.

It will be like someone assuming that all US states have the same freedoms/restrictions, or that US/Canada/Mexico have the same Laws.

Austria, for example has totally different knife laws to the UK.

In addition, let us not forget the drinking age and smoking age in the US, which is 21, higher, and with less "freedom" than European countries, so if this was a Smoking/Drinking related Forum the Europeans would be telling the US people about the rights they have, regarding that issue.

I just respect the Laws of any country I visit, whether I like them or not.

Yes, believe me, our status over here is beginning to head that way, as I stated before. I believe that the citizens of the UK are still called subjects of the royalty, are they not?
Either way, it's very close to being simply semantics.... the end results are very likely to be the same in a few years....
Thankfully, we still have many freedoms not enjoyed by Europeans... hopefully we will continue to do so for quite some time.

But I didn't intend to make this a political thing.... just a legal thing. It appears that, legally, I cannot carry even the most innocent of pocket knives in Ireland. That is sad.... not the end of the world, mostly just inconvenient...

I'm sure I will still enjoy the trip.... going back to the "home country".... 😁
Firstly have a good trip dont let this spoil it.

Drink lots of Guinness and get out on the beautiful hills.

Ireland is not in the UK it is a separate country,this is very important so as not to cause offence or injury.

I have been checking UK law again as I am worried with all the misinformation.

Its hard when a lot of the Police forces have put wrong info on their websites most policemen have no idea themselves.

for instance one force has this.

"It is illegal to carry any sharply pointed or bladed article in a public place (with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is less than 7.62cm or 3 inches)."

This should say cutting edge not blade.

I have screen shot the Government website and a police site that has it written correct and made it easy to find on my phone if I am stopped.

In the US, there is sometimes a misunderstanding of freedoms enjoyed by people in Europe, and the tendency to assume that all EU/European countries/regions are the same.

It will be like someone assuming that all US states have the same freedoms/restrictions, or that US/Canada/Mexico have the same Laws.

Austria, for example has totally different knife laws to the UK.

In addition, let us not forget the drinking age and smoking age in the US, which is 21, higher, and with less "freedom" than European countries, so if this was a Smoking/Drinking related Forum the Europeans would be telling the US people about the rights they have, regarding that issue.

Very well said,

It blows my mind go to Vietnam at 18 see horror,come back get married, have children and you still cant have a drink.

Where is the freedom in that?

Its important to know Europe is not all the same its a geographical area nothing more.

In Corsica shot guns where on sale in the weekly flea market,lots of road signs written in French where shot away.

Tourist tee shirts,postcards etc. had picture of woman with knives and warnings not to annoy them or suffer the consequences.

Corsican mafia is more violent than Sicilian.

That is the bottom line. Which is what I want to do.... I just wanted to make sure I knew what the laws were....

And, I had no desire to carry a pocket knife for "self defense"..... the only reason I wanted to is because I nearly always find some small task that needs doing with a knife.... I suppose I could use a key to open a cardboard box, but I prefer to use the proper tool for the job...
It's not a huge deal, either way, but I certainly don't want to get a first hand investigative experience with the inside of an Irish jail cell....

Your example is completely irrelevant to marchone’s personal experience of traveling and using his small knife for a legitimate purpose. Just like it’s not the same as not wearing a seatbelt.
All of this speculation can be resolved with a simple test case. Ideally, someone, hopefully with a barrister on retainer, would take a trip to the emerald isle, select a stout public bench in full view of the local constabulary (can't spell "constabulary" without "stab" - just saying), produce their least-favorite (it's probably getting confiscated...) offensive pocket tool and a handsome hunk of Irish Yew, and set about whittling themselves a detailed representation of a Northern Lapwing.

Make sure to let us know how it goes. 🤣

That is certainly on the agenda.... hopefully I'll have time for a distillery visit (or two.. 😁 )
I went to Bushmills in NI when I was serving in Belfast in 1978.

The smell from the fermenting baths nearly made us sick.

You could drink as much of the stuff as you wanted including the special export stuff but you couldn't take any bottles home unless you paid.

We had to carry every single one of the Scotsmen serving with us back on the bus, they had made full use of the freebie drinks. 😁

Like my Scottish friend who went to the USA after an exercise in Canada.

Every time he went in a café/diner that said free refills he asked for his second cup.

The waitress would say but you havent had your first one yet,he would reply in broad Scots "eye but you have to pay for that one" 🤣🤣🤣

^^^^^^

Reminds me of when I was working with some colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, (Scotland Yard in common parlance), down in Miami on a homicide of some import to them.

Anyway, they thought that the fact that they could drink free beer at the Embassy Suites hotel we had them staying at was mind altering. (Well, actually it was after several pitchers.) I didn't think they'd ever willingly return to London.

When I had the occasion to work one of my own cases in London, they reciprocated in grand style.

^^^^^^

Reminds me of when I was working with some colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, (Scotland Yard in common parlance), down in Miami on a homicide of some import to them.

Anyway, they thought that the fact that they could drink free beer at the Embassy Suites hotel we had them staying at was mind altering. (Well, actually it was after several pitchers.) I didn't think they'd ever willingly return to London.

When I had the occasion to work one of my own cases in London, they reciprocated in grand style.
In the 70s they would have taken you down Soho, lots of lines would have been crossed... 😁

The quick and easy answer for me is Ireland will never see a dime of my tourist money. That said, I've been in lots of countries where I was probably in violation of their knife laws and just kept a low profile with out any problem. People here will tell you about all the total bans etc on knives in places like Mexico yet you can go to any public market and buy autos, daggers etc. I've also seen Spyderco's for sale in hardware stores down there. Knife laws tend to be used around the globe when cops want to stomp on somebody for a special reason. Don't give them one.

Back