Caylpso vs Native

These seem like some of the best mid-sized ergonomic knives out there anyone care to compare these two and see if we can distinguish one from the other.

I think that both are really great knives. The Native is probably better if your hands are large. The Calypso is flatter and thinner. Both come very sharp and are easy to sharpen. Personally, I think that the full flat grind of the Calypso makes it a superior cutter. That said, the Native is quite good and I think it is a better looking knife too. I would also throw the Delica and Centofante III into the mix if you are looking for a lightweight folder in the approximately 3" range. I have become a very big fan of the Centofante III, it really feels good in my hand and the blade is a fine slicer also.

There seem to be no shortage of Fans of each of these knives. I like the Calypso Jr. alot more than any other folder out there including the Native. On the other hand my Son (with bigger hands) prefers his Native for ergonomics and "cool" factor in terms of looks. For ergonomics I would choose the Calypso Jr. hands down followed by the small AFCK in second place. The Native has less of a rounded pointer finger coil than the Calypso's also.

Both are fantastic values and exceptional knives.

One notable differece between the two is the smoothness when deploying. The Native (Colorado version) is about as smooth an opener as you can find in a lockback. This is not to imply that the Calypso Jr. is stiff, it isn't, it just isn't as buttery smooth as the Native.

Rick in KY said:
Both are fantastic values and exceptional knives.

One notable differece between the two is the smoothness when deploying. The Native (Colorado version) is about as smooth an opener as you can find in a lockback. This is not to imply that the Calypso Jr. is stiff, it isn't, it just isn't as buttery smooth as the Native.

What do you mean Colorado version? Are they now one of the many knives made over seas?

The Native is made in Japan (stainless and frn with VG10) and in USA (frn with S30V).

If you want "utility" knife, I'd go with the Native. It's beefier. If you want more of a slicer, I'd go with the Calypso.

The Native is a well-done medium-price medium-duty utility knife, with all the compromises that that entails: gotta be strong enough to be abused a bit, but not so overbuilt that it will be too expensive or compromise performance too much. And performance will be fine.

I think the reason the Calypso Jr has such dedicated fans is because it's not a compromise do-everything knife. It's a no-compromise gentleman's scalpel. In cutting tests, it's quite likely that you've never handled anything quite like it -- the performance is just remarkable, as is the ease of re-sharpening. But there's a tradeoff -- to get that mind-numbing cutting performance, the Calypso Jr has a high flat grind leading to a very thin edge. That means the edge won't take as much abuse before it chips out or rolls.

Still, the Calypso Jr. will stand up to EDC type use, and do it with such ease that you'll love pulling it out and using it every time. There are zillions of other medium-priced medium-duty well-designed utility folders out there like the Native, even if the Native is a particularly good example. But in my opinion, there really is nothing quite like the Calypso jr., in the combination of price, materials, handle ergonomics, and the ability to wring out every last ounce of performance while maintaining enough strength to keep this as an EDC-class instead of a just a gents' light-duty folder.

I have both, it's the Calypso hands down for me. Speaking of hands, my hands are on the small side. However, it's the blade I like so much, the flat grind makes for a super cutter.

So I 'm to understand that it the flat grind makes the big difference between these two...right? So we are saying here that flat grind is better then hollow ground?

Also from what I'm reading the native only has better ergos if you have big hands...

Are these fair conclusions???

Sal, feel free to chime in here....as has been said before, your among friends.

Flat grind isn't necessarily better, it depends on the usage of the knife. If you are doing fine cutting and lots of slicing, flat grind is better, if our usage is going to be tougher on the edge, the Native's saber grind may make more sense. For my purposes, the Calypso jr. and Paramilitary or Centofante III make more sense, however, you are not me and the Native may suit you just fine.

The Calypso and Centofante (thin blade) blasts through paper and cardboard with little effort (the Calypso leading) You'll love it. Pick em up before they are sold out

Between those two, I would definitely say, go with the one that has more "appeal" to you e.g. looks better. I like the blade shape of the Calypso better and think that the Native has just a tad better ergos and it might have a slightly better blade steel. In the end it is pretty much a toss up and I would gladly take either one. They are both amazingly well made knives that are sold at a dumping price (no offense meant!!!).....Actually...just get both ;-).

I know this post isn't helpful, but I don't think there is much help needed. You CAN NOT go wrong either way.

I have the Native III 3D (a Native with a textured grip), and I like the ergos much better than the Calypso Jr. And no, I don't have large hands. Just to add to your confusion ;) .

Regards,
cds1

the native looks like a toad. the calypso looks like a pteradactyl. I like pteradactyls more... :D

I have them both. Unfortunately, the Native (440V, Golden, Earth) never really fit my hand. The Calypso jr. OTOH looks like it's designed specifically for me. :)

Just an update I bought the calypso and I couldn't be happier... The fact that the blade is so sharp is awesome and I can resharpen it in no time.

I've always been a fan of the indistructable knife but I find that the sharpness and ergos of this blade null the fact that it's not the built like a tank EDC I'm used to carrying.

:D :cool: :D

Thanks Guys!

Knife11 said:
Just an update I bought the calypso and I couldn't be happier... The fact that the blade is so sharp is awesome and I can resharpen it in no time.

I've always been a fan of the indistructable knife but I find that the sharpness and ergos of this blade null the fact that it's not the built like a tank EDC I'm used to carrying.

Good to hear! I consider it one of my personal missions to try to convince all the guys who emphasize strength over everything else, that they should check out something that actually cuts! :)

Back