CCK 1303 cleaver with a re-handle

Here's my newest prep tool..A CCK 1303 re-handled with cocobolo and ebony (Isaiah Schroeder)..as well as a fantastic saya from our friend Eamon.This cleaver cuts ridiculously well (as I'm sure many of you know) and with a new handle, it feels very natural in hand.
I did my usual "finishing" which includes:
-taking the dremel to the spine and choil followed by progressive sanding and then polishing.
-light sanding of the corners of the handle followed by some tung oil.
-removal of the forge slag and lacquer.
-forced patina with mustard and then a hot vinegar bath for a couple hours.
-stained the saya and carved a new pin out of "fatwood". I love fatwood pins due to there resinous nature....they really grip the hole when pushed in.
-put a new edge on it of course .

After the pics were taken, I took a green scotchbrite pad to the steel, removed the patina (and extra slag that remained) and let the blade sit up-rite in an onion for about twenty min. to check re-activity. I fully expected the onion to have turned black where it sat up next to the blade, but it was totally unstained! Well, that's about it...thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 7670289286_958f8a0ff2_n.jpg
    7670289286_958f8a0ff2_n.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 120
Mac - Woah good job, nice looking CCK! I didn't know Eamon also good at making saya.

edit: saw better pics in KKF.

Last edited:
Here's my newest prep tool..A CCK 1303 re-handled with cocobolo and ebony (Isaiah Schroeder)..as well as a fantastic saya from our friend Eamon.This cleaver cuts ridiculously well (as I'm sure many of you know) and with a new handle, it feels very natural in hand.
I did my usual "finishing" which includes:
-taking the dremel to the spine and choil followed by progressive sanding and then polishing.
-light sanding of the corners of the handle followed by some tung oil.
-removal of the forge slag and lacquer.
-forced patina with mustard and then a hot vinegar bath for a couple hours.
-stained the saya and carved a new pin out of "fatwood". I love fatwood pins due to there resinous nature....they really grip the hole when pushed in.
-put a new edge on it of course .

After the pics were taken, I took a green scotchbrite pad to the steel, removed the patina (and extra slag that remained) and let the blade sit up-rite in an onion for about twenty min. to check re-activity. I fully expected the onion to have turned black where it sat up next to the blade, but it was totally unstained! Well, that's about it...thanks for looking.

how did isaiah know what size of handle to use? did you mail it over to him after you processed it ready for installation and then he measured and went from there? im trying to rehandle a cck1303
thanks from oregon

Back