How To Centering a Benchmade Blade

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
I posted this in a thread that T.L.E.Sharp started called Sad Day for a BM Owner* regarding the off-centered blade in his new 560 Freek and his unsuccessful attempts at correction. Our resident Benchmade Design Engineer and Mod, Jimmy, posted a great solution that involved using the open blade for leverage and pressing it against a table or such to re-orient the pivot axis and bring the blade to center.

[*There's a fair amount of discussion on point at the linked thread.]

It was suggested that I start a new thread in order to make this how-to a bit easier to find. Mods--I'd like to keep this here in the Benchmade wing as there's so much chatter about off-center BM blades.

Many, if not most, of us are familiar with the methodology of loosening the handle's body screws and either trying to shift scale alignment front-to-back or wedging the blade in the direction desired before re-tightening the body screws. I've had fairly good luck with the latter and find it easier than trying to hold the re-alignment of the scales/slabs with one hand while re-tightening the body screws with the other. Unfortunately, while the movement being sought is extremely slight, one is fighting the tension at the pivot without much leverage. Take a look at my rather rude diagram below to see what we're trying to achieve.

rsgaa42.jpg

The "blade" of the "knife" on the left is touching the right-hand liner/slab. For all intents and purposes, the angle between the blade and the pivot axis (the short cross) should be considered as fixed while the angle between it and the slabs is moveable to some degree. Note in the diagram that the right slab is forward of the left as indicated by the arrows and the pivot axis is clearly out-of-square with the body of the knife. What needs to be achieved is a re-alignment of the two sides, as indicated by the arrows at the knife on the right, which will bring the pivot axis back to square and the blade back to center.

Note that there may be other causal factors for poor centering, such as a warped/crooked blade or poor milling. This method should at least help in those cases within the tolerances for movement at the pivot and body screws.

Anyway, per Jimmy's suggestion, an open blade will provide exponentially greater leverage when trying to re-align the axis and I figured that setting the blade in a vise would provide more control, ease of manipulation, and a greater modicum of safety. The other advantage of a clamped blade is that one needn't fight any bending along its length from tip to pivot.

I'd never been able to get my first 710 entirely centered. The knife was bought used in"good" shape off the big river site--what did I know, I was a noob--and was pretty much a mess when I got it. I've put quite a bit into rehabbing her--she's my "rescue knife" and a great favorite. Among other fixes, the Delrin backspacer has been replaced with Gnoleb dumbbell-style standoffs and you can judge the poor alignment against the center portion of the back standoff.

xCsH4zl.jpg

I folded a piece of corrugated cardboard for protection and clamped the blade in the bench-vise. With the knife set up thusly it's easy to access the body screws from either or both sides as required.

VRdSeLG.jpg

My blade was off to the left as viewed in these pictures (opposite direction from my diagram above). Jimmy talked about holding the knife in hand and pushing the blade against a table in the direction that it's off (which he described as seeming "backwards"). With the open blade fixed in the vise, I loosened the two body screws and pushed the handle to the left--indicated by the torx-driver--so the blade, when closed, would move to the right. This is perhaps more intuitive as one can more easily imagine the spacing between the slabs and a closed blade changing in the proper direction. Holding it firm with my left hand, it was easy to access the torx screw heads on the right side to re-tighten them.

Note that only the body screws should be loosened/re-tightened while re-aligning. The pivot screws should be left alone until the centering process is complete.

CFRFj7w.jpg

After tightening everything up, the blade was actually a tiny bit too-far-right and the action that had been fairly free-dropping was stiff and tight. Backing off the pivot in two slight increments brought it back to dead-balls center and loosened it right up without resulting in any blade-play whatsoever. In fact, the action is even better now, completely free-dropping closed using only my thumb--pure Benchmade heaven!

DaT3hdr.jpg

Jimmy has also suggested that it's not necessary to loosen the body screws to effect the correction needed. To my mind, one has more control and must exert less force when the knife is rigidly held and you're not fighting to shift slabs that are tightly tied together. Whatever works for you, I hope you find this useful.
--Steve

Last edited:
Thank you so very much for posting this. Your post will help a lot of forum members. Really appreciate you for putting this tougher.

JonesE

worked on my 940. Did not on my 551 FWIW.

I took a look at one of my Griptilians after reading your post. All my 5 have aftermarket scales, so I got out my 551SBK in Igorded canvas Micarta and its original tan Noryl handle for a look. I also searched out bladeboss's excellent 2013 Griptilian tear-down thread to avoid taking mine apart.

I can see that scale shifting to move the pivot axis on a stock Noryl Grip really won't work. On this style knife there is no screw connection between the liners other than the pivot as the liners are "housed" in recesses in the plastic scales. The two through-pins in the handle--stop-pin and rearward spacer--float in their liner bores and are captured by the handle scales. Furthermore, the two halves of the handle are in direct contact with no backspacer or standoffs to provide any real wiggle room for shifting.

I don't know which model Grip you have, but if it's stock with Noryl handles I can see why this centering technique isn't effective. A Grip with standoffs or backspacer, either stock or aftermarket, might stand a better chance, but again, with no hard connection between the liners the amount of possible movement and the ability to freeze it is likely diminished.

As with any knife, YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

One thing I do not quite understand of your techniques as well as those for centering framelock knives, is why the pivot screw needs to be tightened while pushing the blade to the desired side with body screws being loosened.

Edit: sorry - just read one of your posts in the other thread. You are right - the pivot may shift slightly in the process even if i tightened.

Last edited:
I took a look at one of my Griptilians after reading your post. All my 5 have aftermarket scales, so I got out my 551SBK in Igorded canvas Micarta and its original tan Noryl handle for a look. I also searched out bladeboss's excellent 2013 Griptilian tear-down thread to avoid taking mine apart.

I can see that scale shifting to move the pivot axis on a stock Noryl Grip really won't work. On this style knife there is no screw connection between the liners other than the pivot as the liners are "housed" in recesses in the plastic scales. The two through-pins in the scales--stop-pin and rearward spacer--float in their liner bores and are captured by the handle scales. Furthermore, the two halves of the handle are in direct contact with no backspacer or standoffs to provide any real wiggle room for shifting.

I don't know which model Grip you have, but if it's stock with Noryl handles I can see why this centering technique isn't effective. A Grip with standoffs or backspacer, either stock or aftermarket, might stand a better chance, but again, with no hard connection between the liners the amount of possible movement and the ability to freeze it is likely diminished.

As with any knife, YMMV.

I have the 551-1304, which are G-10 handles. Its not even close to centered. I'll be shipping it to Benchmade in the next few days. I'm not a stickler on a lot of F&F aspects, but a nice folder with poor centering drives me crazy.

Thanks for sharing.

One thing I do not quite understand of your techniques as well as those for centering framelock knives, is why the pivot screw needs to be tightened while pushing the blade to the desired side with body screws being loosened.

Edit: sorry - just read one of your posts in the other thread. You are right - the pivot may shift slightly in the process even if i tightened.

Though I have read of some doing so, I don't think the pivot needs to be tightened from it's normal position. I just leave mine alone until the centering process is complete. After all, the point is to shift the pivot angle by moving the sides of the handle and over-tightening the pivot just makes that harder.

I have the 551-1304, which are G-10 handles. Its not even close to centered. I'll be shipping it to Benchmade in the next few days. I'm not a stickler on a lot of F&F aspects, but a nice folder with poor centering drives me crazy.

I know what you mean. I'm not real fussy on perfect centering, but way off on a special knife would drive me nuts too. I've always really liked those Camp Perry's--great looking knife!

Did you loosen the mid-body screws that tie the scales to the liners too, or just those at the stand-offs? I think I'd try it both ways to see if there'd be any difference.

I hope if you do send it in that BM can make it right for you. That's too nice a knife to be f'd up. :(

Just the stand offs. Maybe I'll try again, screws are getting worn out at this point however.

Great knife except for the placement of the logo. The ugliest laser mark I've ever seen, just my opinion. I will make very clear that I want no emblem on the re blade.

Also silly that on this model, every knife gets labeled 1 of 1000. Cmon.

Good luck if you try again and hope the screws hold up. I've been there, done that with knives that resisted.

I gotta say I'm with you on the Camp Perry blade logo--can definitely live without that. The scales are wicked good looking though. A friend of mine here had his Camp Perry scales on a couple different blades. I had a couple chances to buy them and passed due to where I was with other purchases at the time. Sometimes I kick myself for not pulling the trigger. :oops:

Edit: Good thing they didn't make 100,000 of 'em.

Last edited:
Jimmy talked about holding the knife in hand and pushing the blade against a table in the direction that it's off (which he described as seeming "backwards").

WOW, I did this and got my blade centered GREAT! didn't even realize this was an option and took all of 10 seconds! I just held the handle in my hand and literally pushed the flat side of the blade against the table in the OPPOSITE direction of where I need it to go... seems very backwards, but sure works! I had to slightly loosen pivot screw after that... now pretty much a free-falling blade (still needs a little breaking in), zero up/down play, and minimal side/side play... I'M HAPPY FOR SURE!

Before/after:
IMG_6324.jpg

The casualty:
IMG_6327.jpg

Benchmade Benchmade
I'm kinda surprised that there's enough wiggle room in a Noryl Grip to effect a re-alignment. It's good that you sent
E endotreated
over here and that your technique got him the results he was looking for.

If lots of guys are able to get their blades squared away without sending them back to BMK for repair, Les should give you a cut of the money saved by the Warranty Dept. ;)

Benchmade Benchmade
I'm kinda surprised that there's enough wiggle room in a Noryl Grip to effect a re-alignment. It's good that you sent
E endotreated

If lots of guys are able to get their blades squared away without sending them back to BMK for repair, Les should give you a cut of the money saved by the Warranty Dept. ;)

I couldn't find any wiggle room in my Doug Ritter Mini-Grip... I've loosened screws and retightened few times with no effect... I've loosened screws, wedged something to force blade to a side and retightened... still no effect...

That method makes sense on a knife with separate scales and stand-offs between them, but makes no sense to me on a knife with scales that lock into each other.

Benchmade Benchmade
E endotreated

Yeah right. I wish!

When trying to center the blade on a mini griptilian, you must loosen all the screws (besides the pivot) including the clip screws.
The clip screws anchor into the liners, on a full size grip they do not.
I've used the below method of centering blades for years. Opening the blade and using it for leverage was always a last resort for me.

With the knife closed.
I would losen all the screws including the clip screws
Now snug down on the pivot. Not real tight, just hand tight.
I then gently, but firmly, apply pressure to each side of the knife in opposite directions.
Left side up/right side down or Left side down/right side up; while at the same time seeing what combination gives you the desired results.
While holding the right effect, start tightening screws. If the tightening of one particular screw ruins the effect. Tighten this problem screw last.
Once all screws are tight, adjust pivot.

All the centering methods referred to here--open or closed blade; flexing the handle/blade "joint"; loosening and re-tightening the body screws or not; wedging; or scale-shifting--are variations on the same theme--altering the alignment between the two sides of the handle to effect a change in the pivot axis angle, thereby altering the position of the closed blade.

Keyman Keyman , your note regarding loosening the clip screws on a mini-Grip is excellent and necessary information.

E endotreated , is the pictured knife in Post #13 the Ritter Mini your referred to in Post #15? If so, the scales had to have shifted some and the pivot axis changed for the knife to come to center. Just a different means to the same end....

Very helpful Steve. I thought I had tried everything for my 710-801 but never thought to put the blade in a vice. I clamped it in there and torqued it over a couple times and centered it right up. Thanks for taking the time to share some knowledge.

SAM_6011.jpg~original

SAM_6202.jpg~original

Last edited:
Hey, nice to hear from you, -Corey- -Corey- , and thanks for the kind words. That's a sweet knife that's even sweeter now with perfect centering!

Back