Chakram | does anyone throw one?

After looking through a lot of throwing knives online I came across a Chakram, or circular throwing blade, but couldn't find much information on using it. So I decided I'd give it a try. I also took a video with my phone and uploaded it so I could share; [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=EywIFT1klVA[/video]

Does anyone else use these?

Last edited:
I've never seen one of those let alone heard of it, although it does look like you've got it down pat. Good video, by the way.

There's a knife-maker down your way who makes a four-pointed thrower that's hinged that you might be interested in. John Bailey shows it in his DVD, "Recreational Knife Throwing." John's from Florida too, so you might know of him.

I'm partial to my Hibben's, but I do like the Cold Steel stuff too. I had a bunch of throwing stars when I was your age, but back then, they were made mostly for show, not real throwing! From the looks of your video, you've got a bit of everything to throw, and that's good. Keep it up!

I've never seen one of those let alone heard of it, although it does look like you've got it down pat. Good video, by the way.

There's a knife-maker down your way who makes a four-pointed thrower that's hinged that you might be interested in. John Bailey shows it in his DVD, "Recreational Knife Throwing." John's from Florida too, so you might know of him.

I'm partial to my Hibben's, but I do like the Cold Steel stuff too. I had a bunch of throwing stars when I was your age, but back then, they were made mostly for show, not real throwing! From the looks of your video, you've got a bit of everything to throw, and that's good. Keep it up!

Thanks! I actually just started getting into throwing. But I'm lucky to know two experienced throwers. My girlfriend's uncle is number 88 on the international knife throwers hall of fame. And he's shown me a lot and has generously given me some knives from his collection to get me started. He has hundreds of knives. My favorite throwing knife is a 13" Bowie.

I've heard of the name John Bailey when searching around for knives, but haven't read into him much.

Thanks! I actually just started getting into throwing. But I'm lucky to know two experienced throwers. My girlfriend's uncle is number 88 on the international knife throwers hall of fame. And he's shown me a lot and has generously given me some knives from his collection to get me started. He has hundreds of knives. My favorite throwing knife is a 13" Bowie.

I've heard of the name John Bailey when searching around for knives, but haven't read into him much.

It seems as if you're in good hands with a teacher like him. Keep it up, and you'll be way ahead of others who've started much later in life like me.

I love my Hibben's, but everyone has their favorites. My 12" Pro Set works great for long distance and accurate throws, although I wouldn't want to use them from much less than 12 feet away.

John Bailey has two DVDs out that I'm aware of. One is a basic introduction to throwing, and the other is more advanced throws. I've seen the first. He advocates a style similar to Hibben's style, so it helped me to watch the video. If you throw blade-first or no-spin, he may not be as helpful.

I've got one I made when I cut off the end of this short piece of pipe while working as a yard dog at a machine shop. Here's an old picture of it. It's a little dinged up now and I need to fix the edge a bit. It absolutely devastates anything you throw it at, and I've had to put a lever through the middle to pull it out of targets.

throwersbg1.jpg

I've got one I made when I cut off the end of this short piece of pipe while working as a yard dog at a machine shop. Here's an old picture of it. It's a little dinged up now and I need to fix the edge a bit. It absolutely devastates anything you throw it at, and I've had to put a lever through the middle to pull it out of targets.

throwersbg1.jpg

OK, OK...you two have convinced me that I must have a few of these at my disposal! Looks like either I have them made at the local steel shop, or I luck out and find one on the Internet. What size and edge angle am I looking for if I order one made?

They've traditionally come in all sorts of sizes. If you see floridathrower's video up there, you can see it has a full convex grind on one side, and a flat saber grind on the other. His was about 6 inches in diameter. Mine's almost 9. I guess the Sikhs used to wear them on their turbans.

Sikhs_with_chakrams.jpg

pic-3.jpg
pic-2.jpg

BabaDeep-Singh-withDastar.jpg

You are awesome! I just spent ten minutes looking for one for sale, and just like Florida said, their ain't any out there other than Xena memorabilia. Should I go to a blacksmith or a steel shop, in your opinion? The pics are great. I appreciate it because I can use them as examples of what I want. I'm thinking something about the size of yours would be best for my big hands.

I want some I can wear on my wrists: I have one I wear now in stainless, but it doesn't have an edge on it. They are traditional Hindu weapons (before Sikhism) and are absolutely devastating.

Hey check your messages 10thMtn. I sent you a link to the very last one on eBay. The seller doesn't know what it's called so they didn't label it as a chakram. ;) You're welcome (if you make it on time)!

Hey check your messages 10thMtn. I sent you a link to the very last one on eBay. The seller doesn't know what it's called so they didn't label it as a chakram. ;) You're welcome (if you make it on time)!

Just found it: unfortunately he won't ship international. :(

I got mine from an agricultural machine shop. They did pumps and blinds and all sorts of stuff. They had the biggest lathe I've ever seen. They had these short metal pipes of varying thicknesses and diameters. I call them pipes, because I'm not sure what they actually were. I chopped about 1/8 inch off the end of one with a big metal cutting band saw. After that, it was no problem to put an edge on it with a belt sander. Jayinhk- it would be easy to put an edge on the stainless one you have.

Florida, thank you very much my man! You are awesome!!!! I'm going to get it! We'll have to compare progress once it comes in!

Nixelplix, I appreciate the info. That sounds like the way to go for me to get a set of them! I emailed a local blacksmith who did some rails for my house to see if he can work in stainless. I doubt he does since he's mostly wrought iron, but who knows...There's also a steel shop right around the corner that does a lot of custom stuff for the gun range. Maybe they have something that will work to. I'll keep looking around.

Jay, my man Jay...I'd have had to throw down had you gotten it out from under me!!! :) Just kidding! First come, first serve! Sorry he won't ship international! Where do you live?

If I was having one made, I'd have it made out of high carbon steel, rather than stainless. Stainless and without an edge sounds like a good way to go when planning on wearing them though! :D

If I was having one made, I'd have it made out of high carbon steel, rather than stainless. Stainless and without an edge sounds like a good way to go when planning on wearing them though! :D

Great idea! If I can get it made like that, I will! I mean, why not if it's possible?!! What a freaking awesome thrower!!!! I just got the one off Ebay, and this will be the test run! Thank you Florida! What a deal too! The fake ones are selling for $85, and to get a real thrower for $8 plus shipping? Even my wife is envious of that deal!!!

10thMtn, I live in Hong Kong: you definitely got yourself a sweet deal! High carbon steel is definitely the way to go for a real thrower.

10thMtn, I live in Hong Kong: you definitely got yourself a sweet deal! High carbon steel is definitely the way to go for a real thrower.

Thanks! I emailed my blacksmith again to see if he could work something like that up for me. I'll let you all know how it goes and what I find out and will post pics once I have something.

Just giving you guys an update: I spoke to this blacksmith who's done work for me in the past, and I find out that he makes knives on the side for fun, and he teaches knife-making at an historic village on weekends. He said he could make me some Chakrams of whichever size I wanted, and he'd do it in high carbon steel. I'm emailing him some pics, and I'm going to let him do the rest. I'll keep you all up to date with the progress. The only problem is that he says he's slammed with iron rail work, so I'm hoping he'll fit it in sooner than later!

Back