Charles Morris for lock repair

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
I got this in a while back and a long letter describing the expense and ordeal the owner has been through from it accidentally closing on his fingers with a rather vivid description of the damage it has done to his fingers and nerves to be specific. Its an aweful thing to hear about. He paid a lot of money for this knife and it bit him pretty bad. Turned out when I got it the lock was indeed very unreliable. Simple spine pressure on the thumb disc area was enough to make it close and it didn't take very much at all.

Apparently Mr. Morris is retired and could not work on it so it was sent to me. Its fixed up now but still went back to the owner with a letter of warning that being the type lock it is it can still be prone to defeat if it is used in the wrong way or gets the right twist action and lateral stress combined at the same time. Once again reason to be very sure of what you carry before you trust your fingers to it.

Before shipping it home I was forced to replace the 1/16 hex head screws with new torx screws in a T6 size. Everyone of them was either stripped or very close to that when I removed them. Some really gave me a time just getting them out. I hate those things! The lock tension was not adequate, in fact there was barely any. Fortunately I was able to modify the contact pitch angle a tiny bit and make the lock spring in to still work without blade play. Its passed all tests including taps to the spine now.

STR

Back