Cheap homemade weatherproof matches

Hi everyone, because the original Waterproof and Stormproof English lifeboat matches are just to expensive in Holland for "weekend use" in or scoutinggroup I had my "pack" of scouts make their own cheap waterproof matches.
I took a very large box of "strike anywhere" matches from my vacation in the USA home, afterwards I realized that this was forbidden because these matches are considered hazardous material.
I have experimented somewhat and found that coating the head for a length of about 1/2" in Beeswax really waterproofs these matches.
Beeswax is better then parafin used in candles because it doesn't crack that easy.
My Scouts all have made their own waterproof matches, just scrape the beeswax from the white tip and strike it on a solid surface and the match burns nicely, the remaining beeswax even supplying "extra" burning power.

The only problem is that the bottom of the big box of matches starts showing.
So I really need to visit the USA again
wink.gif

Cheers, Bagheera

Are strike anywhere matches actually not available in Europe? As an easier solution for day-to-day camping, use regular wooden matches, and take a piece of the striking surface with the matches. You need to break off the wax, or use clear nail-polish. I prefer wax. I normally don't have nail-polish around...

Keep the strike anywhere matches for back-up, and use the ones you can get easily for normal use.

Stryver, who'd offer to ship strike anywhere matches if they'd go through the mail...

Hello Stryver,

I know that it is easier to use regular matches, almost every scout has his own trown away gaslighter but one of the things I did with my group of 8 scouts was built a kind of small survival kit and show them that with improvisation you don't need to pay a lot of money to make something decent.

The kids just like the strike anywhere matches because they are very hard to get in Holland. The American ones where long 1.5" and the ones we sometimes can get come from spain and are not wooden ones but very small and thin parafin coated paper sticks that you can strike anywhere.

Cheers, have a very good New Year,

Bagheera
PS how cold is it in your place?

------------------

Bagheera,
I definately agree strike-anywhere matches are more fun. You can light them off your pants' zipper, your teeth, your fingernail, and so many other places...
smile.gif

After a note here a while ago regarding strike-anwhere matches at $3 a box at a gun show,I went to check out my gorcery store. I can get them at 83 cents a box, and if anyone knows who'll ship matches, lemme know, and I'll pack up some boxes...
As far as the weather here, it's getting chilly. The marquee sign said -42F as I left work today. IIRC, that's the same in celsius... I tried going out for a quick ski lastnight, but stopped at the edge of my ard when I hit very fresh moose tracks, momma and calf. I'll head out tonight and see how I deal with the cold. I've been out skiing down to about -25F so far, and am really interested to see what aspects get difficult in the cold. (I bought the coldest temp wax I could find, it's temp range is 5F to -20F. I wonder how much it cares...
smile.gif
)

Stryver, who'd be complaining about this weather if it weren't so much fun...

Hi everyone,

I never use matches... become profecient with a metal match and you'll never need one. They also break and run out....

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Bagheera, if you would like I will check with my wife about shipping matches. She works for the United States Postal Service and I am sure she knows what the procedures are. If they are mailable I will be more than happy to mail you some. Glad to see your involed with the Boys Scouts, I also work with the Boy Scouts (assistant leader) I agree with Mr. Davenport about the metal matches, they always work. We let our boys use both, but only after they have conquered the metal match.

[This message has been edited by jcozad (edited 30 December 1999).]

Back