"cheap" paring knife?

Try 'ALFI.com' - they make the sharp little disposable knives you see at 'Subway' - 12/$18, I think, blister-packed - buy five dozen, get one free, I think, as well. They seem pretty sharp - available serrated, too.

Stainz

Got my Victorinox long handled 3.25" paring knife & used it for the 1st time last night. Performed well on tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, etc., a few licks on a steel was all it took to bring it back after repeated "banging" on a plastic cutting board. I ran it down a few times on an old Sharpmaker when finished & it was back to original sharpness.
Not much of a review I know, but I'm very happy with it for the price ($5 delivered)/performance. I'm not much of a cook, & this fits my needs very well.
Thanks to the forum members for their input.

For kitchen work, in my opinion nothing beats a ceramic blade. Kyocera makes an excellent line of knives including a paring knife. If you've never worked with ceramic blades, here are a couple of pros & cons:
PRO: super sharp (significantly sharper than steel)
blade retains an edge for months under constant use without resharpening
the blade does not retain flavors (e.g. you can cut an onion, rinse it or wipe it and immediately cut fudge without transferring any flavor)

CON: brittle blades - they stand up to normal usage but can chip if dropped on the floor
sharpening - you must return them to the factory to be resharpened - however, you only need to do this once or twice a year at most

They can be found at many high-end cook stores or on eBay (probably for a better price)

Steve

I tried the Ceramic and they're not for me. I need to be able to sharpen a knife by myself. For cutting, they are outstanding. Thanks.

Those Victorinox paring knives are great - I bought a 3 pack that contained:

3" paring knife
3" paring knife (serrated)
2" birds beak paring knife

For $10 from Amazon! They take a great edge at 40 degrees inclusive on the Sharpmaker and are fantastic slicers due to how thin they are. I put 'em in the dishwasher (something I don't do to my 'nicer' kitchen cutlery) with no ill effects. Very stain and rust resistant too. All ya need is one of those 3" paring knives and a 6-8" chef's style knife and you're good to go in the kitchen. :)

Back