Checked Deer Camera

Well I was hoping for more than what I got. Seems like the last 2 weeks only thing using this trail is 2 mommas and 2 young ones. Not Really what I was hoping or expecting to see but its cool to watch nature in action.

Wont be getting a shot at the young guys but I had that long necked bug eye doe picked as one to remove as it just dont look right. Also she looks a tad old but I could be totally wrong. I just thought she may not hav eteh best DNA to be passing on but the big picture of things it wont matter :)

traindeer.jpg

deerspooked.jpg

4deer.jpg

3deer.jpg

Mean Man!!!
mean_man.jpg

Here is a better picture of the bug eyed doe I thought I need to get out of there. Not sure now if any of the above are this one. I was thinking one was but I dont think so because of the scars showing so well. This pic was in April this year.

bugeyed.jpg

Something looks off with her, maybe just old? Looks like besides the scars, she's missing hair around the brow and in front of the ears. You gonna eat her?

I was told the meat wouldn't matter. She would be fine to eat but what do I know? This is my first time doing this type thing.

Anyone have any advice if she would not be the beat to eat?

If she is old (and it appears that she is), the meat may be tougher and stronger tasting than a younger doe, but a lot of that can be overcome by how you process and prepare the meat.

I get some ribbing because I prefer smaller, younger deer (we have too many here and seasons/limits are very liberal). IMHO, if the game regulations permit the taking of a doe or buck, old or young, take what you want and will use. Beyond that, taking an older doe who may be getting past her reproductive prime is sound game management in my opinion. Unless an animal is obviously diseased, I see no reason to discount the edibility, you just may have to adjust your meat handling and recipes.

Something looks off with her, maybe just old? Looks like besides the scars, she's missing hair around the brow and in front of the ears. You gonna eat her?

i think she is just old.. the long snout and droopy belly are dead give a ways..also the distance from the top of her shoulders down to the bottom of her chest (similar to bucks) is an indication of age as well.. when you kill one,check its teeth. if they are sharp and pointy, he/she is young. if they are wide and rounded out, they are older.....

where he lives in shelby, NC is pretty mountainous. their deer are more protected i guess you can say than where i live. deer here do not get over 4yrs old :D.. she could have been hit by a car or mamed somehow.. i would eat her, grind her up for deer burgers and sausage :thumbup:

as always inspect the meat while dressing

Back