Chef Steel

I use pot lids and plate bottoms a lot for steeling. My own opinion is that, as long as the steel is used properly, anything will do. Properly means no pressure. Just straighten the edge lightly and go back to work. As soon as you apply pressure, then you are trying to sharpen the blade with the steel and steels make very poor sharpeners.

I use pot lids and plate bottoms a lot for steeling. My own opinion is that, as long as the steel is used properly, anything will do. Properly means no pressure. Just straighten the edge lightly and go back to work. As soon as you apply pressure, then you are trying to sharpen the blade with the steel and steels make very poor sharpeners.

+1, steeling is about realigning the edge...light strokes are better than hard strokes. The rim of a pyrex baking dish works well too.

I have had a few Henckels (a while ago), one kitchen aid, a Joyce Chen cleaver that I have had for probably 10 years that is a champ. I found the Henckels to be brittle and chipped very easily, and the Kitchen Aid to be far more durable...both used for the same tasks. I will probably have the cleaver for another 10 years and I only paid $20 for it, the only thing I dislike is the handle which is not as comfortable as I would like and a shite quality wood...the cleaver itself I love...I may just make a nice handle for it myself.

Not the most extensive experience in terms of ownership. I have handled Global, Messermeister, and Forschner (they have them at work and I don't like the feel or weighting of them).

I was curious to know if you have handled any of the Ergo Chef products. A friend of mine out of state loves his and swears by it. I have never seen them in a store though...just learned about it from him.

Got a frist piece today onebay for $60...Global 7" Asian Chef Knive G-4.

I have several ~$20, no-name, Chinese style cleavers as well; a POS (that refuses to take an edge),a medium-heavy stainless (for breaking bones for soup stock) and a thin carbon one. The carbon one looks like a license plate with a handle, has a very thin blade that can take a stupid sharp edge. It’s my king of the hill for mass quantities of veggie chopping. Chef’s like Martin Yan has a stupid sense of humor, but amazing cleaver skills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT9lKA5_bPI

Don’t worry about the extensive ownership thing. The only reason why I’ve been able to use so many different knives is b/c many of my friends and family like to cook. Since we can’t break bread without helping, every time we get together, I use their knives and they use mine.

I’ve never heard of Ergo Chef before. The 1st thing that pops out is the knuckle sandwich knife looks …..cough..fugly..cough ….sorry… interesting. The X50CrMoV15 @ 56hrc is standard issue German stainless steel. The unique part is the odd angle handle. With a hammer grip it could (maybe) provide some leverage for heel cuts…or a pinky finger buster. I don’t see how it will help or hurt with a pinch or an accuser grip. I'm very old schooled with handles, none of new and improved, ergo handles, etc. works for me.

Be careful of fake Globals on ebay. Are you planning on using the Global G-4 7” santoku instead of the G-33 8" chef's knife?

No, I was actually planning on an 8" Chef, a paring knife, and perhaps a serrated utility knife to round it out. I figure 5 knives covers everything I will need to do at work and I don't have to lug around a stupid heavy knife case...everything fits with room to spare in a Messermeister 8 slot knife roll.

I actually never missed an episode of Yan Can Cook growing up...still one of my favorites.

I know the Fieri Ergo design is hacky, I was more referring to the shape/angle of the
handle. Moreover, I have noticed the opposite angle on other knives and I was wondering how much of that you thought is just the "look at how different my knife is" factor and how much of those angle variances are functional.

I’ve been trying to conceptualize what effect that Ergo Chef handle would have on the ways I hold, use a chef’s knife. I normally use a pinch (thumb and index finger grasping the blade) for most cuts but will switch to an accuser grip (index finger on the spine) or hammer grip (five fingers wrapped around the handle) depending upon the cutting stroke. The handle (with either a pinch or accuser grip) mostly serves as a counterweight. So, I don’t see a down angle handle having any functional effect, if anything it might be less intrusive than a straight one.

In my mind, the Ergo Chef’s down angle (and Alton Brown up angle) handle will do whatever it does most when using a hammer grip. I’m envisioning the down angle handle would drive the heel of knife down (and the tip up) with more force; which I could see as a plus for heel cutting (tip of the knife rest on the board and cutting is done with just the heel of the blade), but likely to have some negative effect with tip work (ie scoring, slicing garlic, etc.). I’m guessing the down angle handle would behave oppositely (plus for heel, but a neg for tip tasks) than the up angle handled petty knife that I played with briefly. It felt awkward, provided a slight advantage when doing tip work, but didn’t think it work as well as the standard one with other cuts.

BTW, applying downward force is a common way to compensate for the wedging that occurs with thicker, duller Euro blades, but unnecessary (and potentially harmful) with thinner, sharper Japanese blades. Gyuto blades, like the one on your Global are thin enough (and if sharpened correctly) to fall through foods with just the weight of the knife. You only want to apply the least amount of downward force or prevent the blade from coming down hard or deeply into the cutting board.

I normally use a pinch (thumb and index finger grasping the blade) for most cuts but will switch to an accuser grip (index finger on the spine) or hammer grip (five fingers wrapped around the handle) depending upon the cutting stroke.

the pinch grip is the right way to hold a chef knife ( or a slicer or boner for that matter.) I say right because that is what they teach it in culinary school. So you do it right. Most people, however, do it wrong and knife handles are designed for people who do it wrong. Luckily, those of us who do it right don't care about the handle. We only use it to guide cuts with the pinkie finger.

Knife Outlet, did you say the pinch grip is the correct way to hold a boner?:jerkit:

(Sorry, that was very juvenile, and I should know better. I do, but you set me up like that, can't help myself):eek:

Knife Outlet, you’re right. As my chef’s knives and skills with them got better, the handle itself became less important. As you said, I use it mainly to steer or guide the knife...like a boat rudder. I have no formal culinary training and learned how use a knife by watching cooking shows and mimicking the techniques of others who stressed the importance of good knife skills.

I think a lot of people acquire poor knife skills and a strong preference for short, dull knife from watching those “celebrity” chef cooking shows on the Food Network. Their dishes general don’t require any fine, precise cutting and if it does, it’s often pre-cut behind the scenes (likely by someone else). Everything is a rustic / rough cut done with a rock-chop or heel cut. By pressing straight down with enough force to split the food, the can compensate for not having a sharp or long knife as well as atrocious knife skills. It’s like the blind leading the blind.

Amaranth, that’s too funny. :D I nearly spit out my coffee all over the computer screen.

henckels profection 8" chefs knife has the most comfortable handle ive ever used. even though its square shaped, the bolster continues onto the grip, theres no sharp edges so if you use a chefs grip when cutting its unbelievably comfortable. my advice is dont buy anything until you can actually hold it in your hand, or actually use it on something. i was looking at globals too, until i held one theyre way too thin and light for hard, everyday use i.e. i would never try to break down a chicken with a global.

the shun ken onion paring is really comfortable. as far as the serrated, dont break the bank. serated knives do the same thing and ive yet to use a serrated knife that needs sharpening so just get one that feels good in your hand, check the grocery store

I have had a Henkels Santoku for the past 11 years. I can’t say anything great about the steel, but its all ways been there for me, even when I chop at the avocado seed and give it a twist whilst it still stuck on the blade. lol, I'm still going to give it a try when my Al Mar Ultra-Chef 8" gets here in a week. The Santoku is a little bit heavier, and the tip is shaped good for spreading out of large jars of mayo, just my experience with the Henkles. The Henkles was worth the $40

Misono Swedish Gyuto 240mm
Blade Length: 240mm
Length: 335mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Weight:175g 204 Bucks,free shipping, will last for your whole life.Round the handle to taste.Takes a keen edge easily and holds it.This is a great knife! Brian E.

Back